Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 22 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 07:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How long do you give a winning bidder on eBay to pay?

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,164 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 22, 2014 07:37 |  #1

Coming up on a week with no communication.

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

sponsored links
Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 22, 2014 09:00 |  #2

Most of the stuff I've bought says in the listing, typically 4 days.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 22, 2014 09:13 |  #3

I rarely sell there, 10 days was my limit.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 22, 2014 09:13 |  #4

I often find it will go a week or so before payment, especially if you have other items for sale that they may be thinking of bidding on.

I take it that you sent an invoice straight after the auction? My next step after a week or so is to send a short message, direct to them, just querying their intentions, if they are waiting for another of my auctions to end, etc.

If I still haven't heard after another few days then I file a non-paying bidder report with ebay.

I have had quite a few take several days to contact me, then just pay up with no further prompting, even when I had no other auctions running that they might have been watching. Sometimes people have more important things in life to deal with than checking their ebay account to see if they won an auction. Some people bid for something knowing they will need to wait a few days until their salary arrives before they pay. Some tell you that, some don't bother, they just wait until they have the money then pay.

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 22, 2014 11:50 |  #5

If no reply at all, I send a formal invoice or reminder message after three days. If still no contact, I notify eBay after one week. If eBay can't make contact, they will handle it as a non-paying bidder. If the person responds, but is just slow to pay then I believe you have to wait a little longer since it stretches things out.

tangers40
89 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 23, 2014 01:49 |  #6

I mention 3 days in my listings. If I haven't heard anything by the end of those 3 days, I'll send an invoice/message, then give them another 2 or 3 days to respond to that. All in all, it's around 5 or 6 days total.

60D | 24-105L | Tamron 70-300 VC | Tamron 90 Macro | Nifty Fifty | SX280 HS |

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,738 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 23, 2014 08:29 |  #7

You weren't by chance selling a 5D Mark III USB stick were you? :P

In all honesty, I say in my listing buyers have 3 days to pay (excluding holidays), then I relist the item and file a non-paying bidder.

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

chris_holtmeier
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,164 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 23, 2014 08:40 |  #8

Mistabernie wrote in post #16989126 (external link)
You weren't by chance selling a 5D Mark III USB stick were you? :P

In all honesty, I say in my listing buyers have 3 days to pay (excluding holidays), then I relist the item and file a non-paying bidder.

Ha.

Seriously though, I never heard back from the winning bidder. Relisted the item.

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,118 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 23, 2014 09:53 |  #9

I say 3 days at most. After that, I submit a non-paying bidder with eBay. There is no reason why they can't pay within 3 days. If they can place a bid, they can pay.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,155 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 23, 2014 09:57 |  #10

1KIND wrote in post #16989321 (external link)
I say 3 days at most. After that, I submit a non-paying bidder with eBay. There is no reason why they can't pay within 3 days. If they can place a bid, they can pay.

This.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,724 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 23, 2014 09:58 |  #11

I appreciate that many sellers have a written deadline within the listing, however, is there not a rule that ebay specifies? I thought there was and that it was much longer than 3 days.
I believe that it would superseded anything the seller puts in the listing, and that if you cancel and re-list prior to eBays terms, you run the risk of bad feedback etc..

Maybe I'm wrong.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,724 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 23, 2014 10:05 |  #12

I'm wrong, Ebay says it's okay to open an "I haven't received my payment yet" after just two days. You can open a case as late as 32 days after auction end.

Pretty wide margin, and two days is really fast IMHO. I think this may have changed from 10 days, but that may have been some years ago. times certainly have changed. :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

moose10101
registered smartass
1,664 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2010

Jun 23, 2014 11:47 |  #13

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16989350 (external link)
I'm wrong, Ebay says it's okay to open an "I haven't received my payment yet" after just two days. You can open a case as late as 32 days after auction end.

Pretty wide margin, and two days is really fast IMHO. I think this may have changed from 10 days, but that may have been some years ago. times certainly have changed. :)

I don't understand why you would consider two days "really fast". If it's an auction, as soon as the person places a bid, they have an obligation they should be prepared to meet if they win. And it only takes about 4 mouse clicks plus one sign-in to make a payment. If it's a fixed price listing, when they click 'Buy", they've bought it. It's not like putting it in a shopping cart to make up your mind later.

The longer payment period was useful back when people could send a payment by mail. That's no longer allowed (though it's impossible to enforce).

NManuel01
751 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 23, 2014 11:57 as a reply to  @ moose10101's post |  #14

I usually pay right after winning a bid

6D, 70-200 MKii F2.8, Tamron 24-70mm, Canon 40mm
Eos M, 18-55mm, 20mm
Alienbee 800, Canon 430exii, Canon 90ex

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,724 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 23, 2014 12:08 |  #15

moose10101 wrote in post #16989587 (external link)
I don't understand why you would consider two days "really fast". ..

Well, as I said, times have changed.

I was buying and selling on Ebay (and other auction sites,. back when there were many!) a good deal before it was the domain of such professional sellers as we have now, before access to the internet and email etc. was so perpetual, in a time when "getting online" meant having a moment to sit in front of a home PC and fire up the modem :)

I tend to be the type that would check the auction the day it ended and pay, but if it ended during work, or over a weekend that I was away, well, then payment would wait.

I'm not saying it's inappropriate that it's fast now, but just that there was a time that 2 days would have been harder to accomplish.

Now I get the notification, and can make the payment any time I'm awake via my phone. This just did not used to the the case.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

sponsored links

4,225 views & 0 likes for this thread
How long do you give a winning bidder on eBay to pay?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.