Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 11:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which camera for beginners?

Exposure101
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 22, 2014 11:10 |  #1

I have two friends looking into picking up their first DSLR. One of them can go as high as $900-1,000 while the other one's budget is around $750 or so.

I personally would recommend getting a 5Dc and invest in a lens (like the 17-40 or 24-105). I believe that can be had for $1,000 or under. As for the other friend, perhaps Rebel series camera? If so, which one is the best in that price range? I am not too familiar with the Rebel series. Both of them like to take mainly landscape pictures.

Thank you for any advice/recommendations​!! :)

sponsored links
darora15
68 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 22, 2014 12:22 |  #2

When I first started, I knew nothing about photography. I started with a T4i. I started on automatic but slowly transitioned to manual when I couldn't get the results I wanted. I feel like that has given a great foundation. I now have a 1dmk3 and am so glad I learned on a T4i. So, If your friends have some knowledge, then maybe something more advanced then a rebel would be good.

As far as a rebel cameras, The TXi's are mostly the same, I think. The T4i and T5i have touch screens. The T5i and SL1 are new. If your friend wants to save money, I would go with a T4i.
I am still relatively new and someone with more knowledge may chime in.

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 22, 2014 12:23 |  #3

I'm not sure the 5Dc would be a good first choice, but that is purely my opinion. You can grab a 60D used or refurb for about $450 to $500 now. That leaves them some cash to put towards a decent lens.

feedback

gear list

oahumike
479 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 22, 2014 12:51 as a reply to  @ jay125's post |  #4

I'd start them both with the t3i with kit. It's $429 on sale. (Add to cart). Tell them to use mrrebates to save a little

http://shop.usa.canon.​com …g/283207?WT.mc_​id=C126149 (external link)
I started with a 60D and it has the same sensor. Great camera with a cheap price

Had a 6D....
Then had a daughter....
Now have an SL2 and Mavic Pro.... Man life changes.
I would encourage you... To just go for it.

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 22, 2014 13:00 |  #5

Thank you for the suggestions everyone! Is there any reasons to go for a T4i/T5i/SL1 or 60D over say a T3i?

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 22, 2014 13:41 |  #6

60D is a different build (more like the higher end cameras, though not as much as the 50D or 70D).

As for the Rebels, I am not sure that there is much reason to go higher than the T2i unless there is a specific reason you can find in the others. Same sensor, just new features. If they shoot landscapes, and are just learning true photography (exposure and such) then the rebels with a 10-22 (or one of the others like it) plus the 18-135 is a great kit for learning. With some looking, should be able to find all this under both their budgets.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,020 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 22, 2014 14:05 |  #7

I'd also recommend the T2/T3/T4i series or 50D/60D
T5i if new.

What I like about the T4i is all the screen related bells and whistles, so IMHO this one is the sweet spot of the series.
( I may be wrong here, does the T3i offer the touch screen?)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,020 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 22, 2014 14:10 |  #8

Exposure101 wrote in post #16987418 (external link)
Thank you for the suggestions everyone! Is there any reasons to go for a T4i/T5i/SL1 or 60D over say a T3i?

I think it's very safe to say the T4i and T5i are essentially the same camera. All of these bodies have the same sensor, so it's features we are looking at.

T4I I believe is the one that first had a touch screen, so that's the difference between T4i and T3i

SL1, again same sensor, but totally different camera. This is a TINY DLSR, very compact, and that's the reason to get it. No tilt screen.

The 60D has a tilt screen, again the same sensor. The 60D is part of a series that is a little more oriented towards advances shooters that the T series.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 22, 2014 14:11 |  #9

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16987540 (external link)
I'd also recommend the T2/T3/T4i series or 50D/60D
T5i if new.

What I like about the T4i is all the screen related bells and whistles, so IMHO this one is the sweet spot of the series.
( I may be wrong here, does the T3i offer the touch screen?)

NO, the highly addictive touch screen started with the t4i. Had it and went to the 70D, now I have a hard time considering buying another camera without it.

Boone13
387 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jun 22, 2014 14:22 |  #10

I started with a T4i and jumped right into manual, and with a little bit of time and practice, picked it up with no problems. I wouldn't at all hesitate in recommending someone get one. T4i vs the others, all depends on the person's preference of wanting to go new or okay with used.

Some moments are too amazing to be ruined with words.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,020 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 22, 2014 14:22 |  #11

re: Touch screen. Although I have yet to own an SLR with a touch screen, I have NO trouble imagining getting very used to it.

The only touch screen in my life is my phone, but I am one of those people that after using one touch screen device for some years, now intuitively reaches out to push things around on nearly every screen I come in contact with, (usually with Zero results other than the deft application of fingerprints.)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Boone13
387 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jun 22, 2014 14:23 |  #12

Scoobert wrote in post #16987554 (external link)
NO, the highly addictive touch screen started with the t4i. Had it and went to the 70D, now I have a hard time considering buying another camera without it.

Maybe I've missed out, I've never really used the touch screen. Maybe I'll use it next time I take out the T4i. ;-)a

Some moments are too amazing to be ruined with words.

silma
489 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 22, 2014 15:03 as a reply to  @ Boone13's post |  #13

I've started with a 60D and a 17-55. I knew only basic stuff about photography but forced myself to manual mode and that has helped me a lot...many mistakes but I've learnt a lot.

I'd even suggest a second hand 60d and a prime lens to really learn about photography, composition playing a major role in the whole thing

my flickr (external link)

my dreamstime (external link)

ebiggs
638 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 22, 2014 15:08 |  #14

Exposure101 wrote in post #16987180 (external link)
I have two friends looking into picking up their first DSLR. One of them can go as high as $900-1,000 while the other one's budget is around $750 or so.

Rebel T3i or T5i and get the kit. You can't go wrong with the world's best selling camera.

Nix the 5Dc idea.

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,677 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 22, 2014 15:13 |  #15

Exposure101 wrote in post #16987180 (external link)

I personally would recommend getting a 5Dc and invest in a lens (like the 17-40 or 24-105). I believe that can be had for $1,000 or under. As for the other friend, perhaps Rebel series camera? If so, which one is the best in that price range? I am not too familiar with the Rebel series. Both of them like to take mainly landscape pictures.

Would it not be easier to get your two friends to join POTN so that we can discuss their individual needs with them on an individual basis?

It never ceases to amaze me how dense intelligent people are.
I’ve had more intelligent conversations with lobotomised amoebas.
.- -. --- - .... . .-. -- --- .-. --- -. .. -.-. -- --- .-. --- -. .- -.. -.. . -.. - --- -- -.-- .. --. -. --- .-. . .-.. .. ... -

sponsored links

6,026 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which camera for beginners?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.