Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 11:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which camera for beginners?

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,376 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 22, 2014 15:29 |  #16

I have a 600D, and can confirm it hasn't got a touch screen. It does have a flip out screen that rotates through 180 degrees which is very useful in a lot of situations, though I must admit to not using it nearly as often as I should. I love it so much, I've no real desire to upgrade yet, though if I had the wonga (£££/$$$) I'd probably get a 70D. I've never had a Canon refurb (not available in UK :-( please correct me if I'm wrong), but I have had a Fuji HS20 EXR which looked brand spanking new, and if Canon refurbs are as good then go for it, especially if you get a full 12 mth warranty as I did with my Fuji. I've had it for over 2 yrs without fault. Or if you have Ca$h Converters style stores in the USA (where you buy or sell second hand goods and can pay weekly) take your friends around a few of them. I bought my T3i body from one 18 months ago for £180.00 and they offered me £20 discount. You can drop lucky, as last week my local store had a Panasonic G3 with lens and charger for £150, a real bargain. Often the DSLR'S are slightly overpriced, though as they often just double what they buy for, if they buy it cheap, you get it cheap too.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

sponsored links
Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 22, 2014 15:32 |  #17

john crossley wrote in post #16987679 (external link)
Would it not be easier to get your two friends to join POTN so that we can discuss their individual needs with them on an individual basis?

I told one of them about POTN. The other one I'm not so sure about. With all the recommendations above though, I think the T3i kit is the way to go. I'll bring it up with them.

Apricane
Shooting the breeze
1,729 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 22, 2014 15:59 |  #18

I would go more towards the T4i/T5i kits rather than T3i (at least for the friend with a bigger budget). The T4i was the first Rebel to have a cross-type AF points, and also an STM lens in its kit rather than a micro-motor lens like the T3i kit. That would fewer missed shots at the beginning, plus more room to grow into the equipment without the need for upgrading either the body or lens, meaning more money for new lenses and exploration.

Apricane IG Portraits (external link) IG Travel/Street (external link)
Capture One 21 Pro | Affinity Photo | ACDSee | Bridge | Photoshop
a7 III | Sony 35+55ZA+85/1.8 | Tmr 28-75+70-180/2.8 | Tmr 28-200
a6600 | Sony 70-350G

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 22, 2014 22:00 |  #19

There is a sale going on with Canon USA. The refurbished T5i kit is $500 plus $5 shipping. I'm sending them the link so they know. Thank you everyone!!

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
3,047 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 23, 2014 03:02 |  #20

Exposure101 wrote in post #16987722 (external link)
I told one of them about POTN. The other one I'm not so sure about. With all the recommendations above though, I think the T3i kit is the way to go. I'll bring it up with them.

You also seem to be forgetting that Canon is not the only camera manufacturer. Just because you are a Canon user doesn't necessarily mean that Canon is the best option for your "friends." Their preferences will be different to yours.

I've just caught my wedding vegetables in the flange!!!
You've got the face of an angel and the willy of the Loch Ness monster.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,955 posts
Gallery: 2060 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 23, 2014 03:14 |  #21

Exposure101 wrote in post #16987180 (external link)
I have two friends looking into picking up their first DSLR. One of them can go as high as $900-1,000 while the other one's budget is around $750 or so.

I personally would recommend getting a 5Dc and invest in a lens (like the 17-40 or 24-105). I believe that can be had for $1,000 or under. As for the other friend, perhaps Rebel series camera? If so, which one is the best in that price range? I am not too familiar with the Rebel series. Both of them like to take mainly landscape pictures.

Thank you for any advice/recommendations​!! :)

Heya,

It really depends on what they want to shoot, and what lenses they want to use now and in the future. For a budget, APS-C really does let you get a lot of camera for the least cost and it can really benefit someone after longer telephoto reaches too, early on, with a budget. But it can also be a regrettable mistake for someone who is a depth of field junkie, who wants it as thin as possible, and a wide as possible angle on top of that. So it really just comes down to what they want to do.

Today's APS-C modern cameras are excellent in terms of quality. The old mentality that they were super inferior is not true today. So there's nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't worry about quality any more regarding APS-C and full frame.

Instead, I would worry about the interaction between APS-C and full frame regarding lens options in the context of what they want to primarily shoot.

The only full frame option in this budget is the 5D classic, if going Canon. It's still a very good and very useable camera if you want the cheapest full frame Canon can offer you, that is still able to print greater than 8x10's, with decent ISO performance. This would be a great way to start, if your friend wanted to do portraits, or if your friend was into having the thinnest depth of field for super isolation, creativity, etc, and into the widest angles possible, so someone who's into portraits, landscape, etc, with razor thin depth of field. You can get them for $450~500 typically on ebay. Or you can get good ones on KEH.com. Still a solid performing camera. And they can always sell them later, as they will always be in demand being full frame, and inexpensive. Great start, because they can grow past it, and not lose on their initial purchase.

The APS-C options are wide open, so many options. 60D? T3i (or later gen rebels)? Lots of choices here. The features are generally similar. Personally I would push the 60D over the Rebels for overall use, if for nothing else, re-sale value. People start and if they get into this, they will inevitable want newer and more options, so whatever they buy first, if it's something they can easily re-sale, it's a good purchase, and the 60D is one of those options.

So my vote: 5D classic or 60D.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 23, 2014 04:12 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #22

The world's your oyster as there are many choices. I'm loving my 700D if I want to travel light or for 'general' photography. My 50D for more 'serious' work. My 20D gets dusted off occasionally and is often lent out to beginners. My EOS M with 22mm f/2 slips nicely into my shoulder bag.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,932 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Jun 23, 2014 04:20 |  #23

Exposure101 wrote in post #16987418 (external link)
Thank you for the suggestions everyone! Is there any reasons to go for a T4i/T5i/SL1 or 60D over say a T3i?

To me a Rebel series camera makes more sense than the likes of a 60D. it's a cheaper investment and if your not to sure if your going to get serious about photography then it's means your not putting a big layout of cash.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

WaterBoy2090
175 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 23, 2014 04:43 |  #24

john crossley wrote in post #16988783 (external link)
You also seem to be forgetting that Canon is not the only camera manufacturer. Just because you are a Canon user doesn't necessarily mean that Canon is the best option for your "friends." Their preferences will be different to yours.

Whilst that may well be true, initially at least having the three individuals using Canon will allow easier mentoring and lens sharing. Two of my wife's friends are regularly handing me their mirrorless APS-C cameras asking for help, which would be a lot easier if they were Canon, and in one case, the menu system wasn't in a Mandarin!

I would personally recommend the rebel series as an initial camera. My mentor had a 1D series camera, which I found utterly bewildering whenever he handed it to me when I was starting down this obsession!

7D Mark II
10-18 f4.5-5.6 is, 24-70 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L is II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L is II, TC1.4, & 430EX II

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,955 posts
Gallery: 2060 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 23, 2014 04:50 |  #25

Heya,

If you're into interchangeable lenses, I think Canon is a great way to go. Sure, you can get lots of non-Canon options that are attractive. But I think my allure to Canon has always been the ease and selection of LOTS of lenses, plus the easy ability to adapt other lenses to their cameras. I also like Canon's autofocus abilities, they just seem to do better. Other camera makers are producing better sensors. I think everyone has their strong point. That said though, if getting into an interchangeable lens system, Canon really does offer a nice array of lenses as well as 3rd party lenses, that will work on very inexpensive dSLR cameras (Rebels and the XXD series) that happen to have plenty of quality for most photography needs.

Personally I'm waiting for Sony to mature it's A7 series. I like where they're going with the mirrorless, with viewfinder, massive ISO ability full frames. I can adapt EF lenses, so I'm not worried about Sony's lesser lens line up.

I often am looking at Pentax's current weather resistant inexpensive series, to avoid needing a bulky case, or a junker P&S that is water proof. But the lenses are the huge drawback as you're stuck with very limited options that are also weather resistant at such a price point.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
10,415 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 23, 2014 06:44 |  #26

Exposure101 wrote in post #16987722 (external link)
..., I think the T3i kit is the way to go. I'll bring it up with them.

I agree with this. A T3i, 18-135 STM, 50/1.8, would give a beginner all they can ask for to experiment and learn with.

Apricane
Shooting the breeze
1,729 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 23, 2014 09:20 |  #27

Sibil wrote in post #16988959 (external link)
I agree with this. A T3i, 18-135 STM, 50/1.8, would give a beginner all they can ask for to experiment and learn with.

There are no T3i kits with an STM lens, at least not on B&H. The first Rebel kits that came with an STM lens is the T4i.

That being said, going STM right away, if possible, may save a beginner from having to upgrade a standard zoom that becomes unsatisfactory when the shortcomings of micro-motor AF are realized, an upgrade that is more incrementally expensive than going for the STM version to begin with. Plus, an STM kit would likely have a better re-sale value.

Apricane IG Portraits (external link) IG Travel/Street (external link)
Capture One 21 Pro | Affinity Photo | ACDSee | Bridge | Photoshop
a7 III | Sony 35+55ZA+85/1.8 | Tmr 28-75+70-180/2.8 | Tmr 28-200
a6600 | Sony 70-350G

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 23, 2014 09:40 |  #28

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16987540 (external link)
I'd also recommend the T2/T3/T4i series or 50D/60D
T5i if new.

What I like about the T4i is all the screen related bells and whistles, so IMHO this one is the sweet spot of the series.
( I may be wrong here, does the T3i offer the touch screen?)

Yep, I agree, although the T2i has taken most of its depreciation, so in a year or so, reselling will only result in a $50 loss when they find their path. That said, why bother selling a $250 body (that will likely be worth about $200) until you have a better backup?

I learned on the T2i, and moved to the 1D Mark iii as well. I still use the T2i sometimes, especially in situations where Magic Lantern is useful.

I think on the XXD side, I really like the 50D for the value. More durable and responsive than the T2i, and also takes Magic Lantern.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 23, 2014 12:39 |  #29

john crossley wrote in post #16988783 (external link)

Oh, for sure. I'm sure they know there are other brands out there. However, we have only been talking about Canon. I was thinking of telling them to go to a store and hold some of those cameras in their hands and see. However, I believe they are partial to Canon.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
10,415 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 23, 2014 14:32 |  #30

Apricane wrote in post #16989251 (external link)
There are no T3i kits with an STM lens,

You are correct. They can be bought used, separately, for OK price.

sponsored links

6,847 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which camera for beginners?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.