Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 22 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 08:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hassy with CMOS sensor...??? What do you think? :)

daleg
690 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Jun 04, 2014 16:39 |  #31

jetcode wrote in post #16951857 (external link)
To be honest if you have controlled lighting film works great. It always did. Not as immediate if you shoot a lot (in which case a high performance tool is gold). I've been shooting and printing film and loving it. Film still works and that Hassy (501CM) is a great camera.

I want to move away from film - as I need to get away from the vapors of a darkroom as my wife cannot handle the fumes, aromas, and particulates - no matter how well filtered.

Besides, a DB would allow for a lot more wear and tear on those leaf shutters (:p) - than I could ever inflict using film.

sponsored links
jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 04, 2014 16:54 |  #32

daleg wrote in post #16951901 (external link)
I want to move away from film - as I need to get away from the vapors of a darkroom as my wife cannot handle the fumes, aromas, and particulates - no matter how well filtered.

Besides, a DB would allow for a lot more wear and tear on those leaf shutters (:p) - than I could ever inflict using film.

No darkroom. I do develop my own B/W but that is such an easy process. All color goes to the lab. I scan on a Cezanne Elite, post in PS, and Aspen Creek for prints. All CCD backs will generate CCD bloom in hard direct light. That's why they work well for studio but not so well for landscape featuring the sun or street with bright lights.

daleg
690 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jun 04, 2014 23:14 |  #33

jetcode wrote in post #16951923 (external link)
No darkroom. I do develop my own B/W but that is such an easy process. All color goes to the lab. I scan on a Cezanne Elite, post in PS, and Aspen Creek for prints. All CCD backs will generate CCD bloom in hard direct light. That's why they work well for studio but not so well for landscape featuring the sun or street with bright lights.

$30K for a scanner is a bit outta reach - for now. gulp.

bespoke
710 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 05, 2014 00:10 |  #34

daleg wrote in post #16951817 (external link)
I keep thinking about putting a digital back on a V-system camera.

I've been advised to consider the phase one P40+ on a 501CM - about $8k used (for the P40+). I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the 645 crop factor. hmmm. this back has ISO ranges of 100-800 or 400-3200 in "plus" mode (sensor is normally 40MP, but can switch to 10MP mode at higher ISO sensitivities).

Anybody have any experience with this combo? or know of anybody who has shot with this?

Tempting. Very.

i dont have that exact combo but here are my thoughts.

manual focusing is very hard with digital. especially if you're shooting hand held with wide apertures. it was much easier with film. a lot of people give up on digital 500 blads because of the focusing problems. and moving people.. forget about it. i have a 503cw + winder and acute matte split prism screen and my keeper rate is probably about 50% when shooting natural light portraits at f/4ish (would be less if i didn't have the autowinder) and i consider myself a good manual focuser.

this is a good article on why it's hard to focus http://www.josephholme​s.com/news-sharpmediumformat.html (external link)

i think it's wiser to get a body that focuses well like a phase1 645df+ or hassy h4dx.

but if you are shooting landscapes then it doesn't matter.

the p40+ is a crop sensor so an 80mm lens is about a 62mm equivalent on a 35mm camera instead of 50mm. and a 40mm is about 31mm instead of the normal 24mm.

a much better value is the leaf aptus 75. less of a crop factor and has a better screen. if you want one hour exposures then get the p45+

Toronto Fashion Photographer (external link)
5D3 & 5D2s | 24 TS-E II, 24-70 II, 85L II, 100L, 70-200L II, 35 & 85 Zeiss ZE, Samyang 14, Sigma 50
Hasselblads + Leaf Aptus MFDB, Fuji X100, Epson 3880/9890

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 05, 2014 10:19 |  #35

daleg wrote in post #16952608 (external link)
$30K for a scanner is a bit outta reach - for now. gulp.

I paid $4500 for mine and it's like new. You can get a nice scanner for under a $1000.

daleg
690 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jun 18, 2014 01:10 |  #36

bespoke wrote in post #16952699 (external link)
i dont have that exact combo but here are my thoughts.

manual focusing is very hard with digital. especially if you're shooting hand held with wide apertures. it was much easier with film. a lot of people give up on digital 500 blads because of the focusing problems. and moving people.. forget about it. i have a 503cw + winder and acute matte split prism screen and my keeper rate is probably about 50% when shooting natural light portraits at f/4ish (would be less if i didn't have the autowinder) and i consider myself a good manual focuser.

this is a good article on why it's hard to focus http://www.josephholme​s.com/news-sharpmediumformat.html (external link)

i think it's wiser to get a body that focuses well like a phase1 645df+ or hassy h4dx.

but if you are shooting landscapes then it doesn't matter.

the p40+ is a crop sensor so an 80mm lens is about a 62mm equivalent on a 35mm camera instead of 50mm. and a 40mm is about 31mm instead of the normal 24mm.

a much better value is the leaf aptus 75. less of a crop factor and has a better screen. if you want one hour exposures then get the p45+

thanks for the insight. as an old hassy film guy, I've been searching for info on using a DB on a hassy V for a while now. it's an intriguing concept - but obviously, based on present (non-) usage in the community - it's a concept largely not in present favor.

the thought of such high quality images - - oh well, doesn't hurt to dream.

daleg
690 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jun 18, 2014 01:32 |  #37

jetcode wrote in post #16953384 (external link)
I paid $4500 for mine and it's like new. You can get a nice scanner for under a $1000.

can you provide any info on such scanners?

I currently have a cannon flatbed 9000f & a Fuji document scanner - for our paperless archives.

the flatbed hasn't lived up to its potential - or so I suspect.

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 23, 2014 09:58 |  #38

daleg wrote in post #16978733 (external link)
can you provide any info on such scanners?

I currently have a cannon flatbed 9000f & a Fuji document scanner - for our paperless archives.

the flatbed hasn't lived up to its potential - or so I suspect.

Polaroid SprintScan 120 (aka Microtek ArtixScan 120tf). A bit rare, but VERY good.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

sponsored links

6,355 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hassy with CMOS sensor...??? What do you think? :)
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.