Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 22 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 23:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Water Lily (?)

itw
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2013

Jun 22, 2014 23:47 |  #1

.... I think.

My first flower shot. Generally I tend to document things I see and don't really give too much thought to making art when I press the button, give me some direction if you will.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

You can call me Ned
Walk softly and carry a Big White lens

sponsored links
sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,249 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 23, 2014 09:24 |  #2

Yes, and a nice shot of it. The reflection and the damsel fly are excellent for added value. Some would prefer it cropped a little tighter, losing the partial lily pads left and bottom. I don't think they hurt the shot. Nice work.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

Jon ­ Clemens
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 23, 2014 09:52 |  #3

The damsel fly is certainly a bonus, but adding the ripple ring makes it outstanding. If you want to be really picky you could shave off a tad of the right side and bottom, but that's mostly just personal preference.

Canon 7D | 400L | 70-200L | 24-105L | Tokina 11-16
jonclemensphotography.​com

floydbutz4
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 23, 2014 10:00 |  #4

Great reflection of the damsel fly as well as the Lilly overall. Personally I would crop out the other pads as they do not add any value to the photo.

itw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jun 23, 2014 11:00 |  #5

Thanks for checkin' in Folks and verifying my ID of this plant.
I appreciate your comments and critique.... I hear ya on the crop and did do a bit of it.

The reason I didn't shave any more of the surrounding pads is that I was afraid to lose any of the ripple and also I thought the reflection of the flower and Danselfly shouldn't crowd the edge of the frame at the bottom ( ? )

I was thinking that the reflection and ripple needed some "space" or "frame" around them ( ? )

It's all a matter of taste I suppose, but at the same time I'll bet in some classroom somewhere, people anguish over these types of things ! ;)

I'll play with it some and see what I come up with. Thanks again !

Ted

sparker1 wrote in post #16989260 (external link)
Yes, and a nice shot of it. The reflection and the damsel fly are excellent for added value. Some would prefer it cropped a little tighter, losing the partial lily pads left and bottom. I don't think they hurt the shot. Nice work.

Jon Clemens wrote in post #16989318 (external link)
The damsel fly is certainly a bonus, but adding the ripple ring makes it outstanding. If you want to be really picky you could shave off a tad of the right side and bottom, but that's mostly just personal preference.

floydbutz4 wrote in post #16989335 (external link)
Great reflection of the damsel fly as well as the Lilly overall. Personally I would crop out the other pads as they do not add any value to the photo.

You can call me Ned

NCSA197
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 23, 2014 17:12 |  #6

You asked for some direction, so;

Look very carefully at it. Then keep doing what you did here. I really like this image, and am trying to learn all I can from it in order to improve my photography. Very well done!

Flickr (external link)

itw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jun 23, 2014 21:21 |  #7

heh, heh, heh.... Thanks David, a fine compliment.
I have seen some of your bridges and am proud to be of some inspiration !

:cool:

NCSA197 wrote in post #16990226 (external link)
You asked for some direction, so;

Look very carefully at it. Then keep doing what you did here. I really like this image, and am trying to learn all I can from it in order to improve my photography. Very well done!

You can call me Ned

paul3221
Goldmember
2,447 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 25, 2014 08:35 |  #8

Nice capture.

Paul
Sony A7RII, 5DII, a bunch of lenses and lighting... Whatever gets the shot... ;-)a
www.PaulDekortPhotogra​phy.com (external link)
Facebook Photography Page (external link)
500px (external link)

FPP
820 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 25, 2014 10:01 |  #9

Very nice shot. If you decide to crop it a bit, I would get rid of the pad on the left - mainly because it is bright enough to be distracting. I understand your reasoning about space. Perhaps just darken the pad on the left would be sufficient? Anyway, it is definitely a lovely shot.

7D Mark II, 50D, 17-55 2.8 IS, 100-400L IS, 10-22, Sigma 150-600 C, Sigma 150 2.8 Macro, EF-S 60MM f2.8 Macro, EF-S 18-55 IS, 28-135 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS STM, 580 EX II, Yongnuo YN-24EX, JasonC007 Diffuser Kit, Gitzo GT2531EX, ARCA-SWISS Z1, RRS B2 AS II clamp, Kirk L-bracket for 7DII, Kirk L-bracket for 50D

airmod
44 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 25, 2014 10:21 |  #10

Nice shot, I really the ripples in the water.

JanetS
342 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 25, 2014 10:27 |  #11

Beautiful and fantastic shot!! Truly love the ripples....reflections​....
Holding a straight edge up to the screen, I agree with others who said crop out the left pad.

Essentially what photography is is life lit up.
- Sam Abell

itw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jun 25, 2014 12:54 |  #12

paul3221 wrote in post #16993395 (external link)
Nice capture.

FPP wrote in post #16993558 (external link)
Very nice shot. If you decide to crop it a bit, I would get rid of the pad on the left - mainly because it is bright enough to be distracting. I understand your reasoning about space. Perhaps just darken the pad on the left would be sufficient? Anyway, it is definitely a lovely shot.

airmod wrote in post #16993595 (external link)
Nice shot, I really the ripples in the water.

JanetS wrote in post #16993609 (external link)
Beautiful and fantastic shot!! Truly love the ripples....reflections​....
Holding a straight edge up to the screen, I agree with others who said crop out the left pad.

Thanks to all. I appreciate you taking the time to hang with me on this...... Here is a "butched" version:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

You can call me Ned

JanetS
342 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 25, 2014 14:54 as a reply to  @ itw's post |  #13

Better!!!! Now my eye is immediately drawn to the water lily & dragon fly and their reflections. Love this.
What NCSA197 said: "Look very carefully at it. Then keep doing what you did here. I really like this image, and am trying to learn all I can from it in order to improve my photography. Very well done!"

Essentially what photography is is life lit up.
- Sam Abell

itw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jun 25, 2014 15:24 |  #14

JanetS wrote in post #16994139 (external link)
Better!!!! Now my eye is immediately drawn to the water lily & dragon fly and their reflections. Love this.
What NCSA197 said: "Look very carefully at it. Then keep doing what you did here. I really like this image, and am trying to learn all I can from it in order to improve my photography. Very well done!"

Thanks for the comeback Janet, I'll keep working at it. When I shoot birds, I know I want to showcase a particular individual and clean up all the clutter surrounding my subject.

I was thinking when I was composing in this pool that it was more like a miniature Landscape and that I needed to show a bigger view of what was going on and thought people would just naturally find my focal point..... I think I am beginning to understand the errors of my ways! ;)

You can call me Ned

NCSA197
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 25, 2014 17:19 |  #15

The original works better for me. Having the water lily just a little off center looks good. Seeing all of the round ripple looks better than having it touch the edge of the frame. The little bit of color on the pad to the left adds a little bit also. The suggestion to just darken the lily-pad a bit; yeah, maybe. But for me the original is an image I'd hang in my home. The new crop? It's OK, but lost something. I like your first decision much more.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,617 views & 0 likes for this thread
Water Lily (?)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.