Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Jun 2014 (Monday) 12:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you process it differently ?

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 23, 2014 12:15 |  #1

Not asking for any critique with composition. Strictly processing. Sharpness / clarity, skin tones, etc.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3923/14460664506_cc42bcbf8c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/o2QF​KQ  (external link) 20140621-DSC09590 (external link) by BugsDaddy (external link), on Flickr

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

sponsored links
LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,394 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 23, 2014 12:19 |  #2

I think I'd warm it a bit.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,554 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 23, 2014 12:22 |  #3

Warmer for me too. But that's my tastes anyway ;)

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

Amamba
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 23, 2014 12:48 |  #4

Ok, thanks. Will try.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,721 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 23, 2014 14:39 |  #5

Cropping is part of processing. I would crop this one. Colors look good to me - I could go either way on warmer or not.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jun 23, 2014 14:50 as a reply to  @ David Arbogast's post |  #6

i would prefer keeping the white balance as accurate as possible with little bit warming the skin,and adding contrasts to the skin plus little bit of dodging background and burning the lower part of picture to add depth to the picture. as it is compressed jepg file it is not possible to get the skin tones warmer as it causes skin turning too red. With raw
file it should not be a problem.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,525 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 23, 2014 23:57 as a reply to  @ nittaya's post |  #7

Edit: Sorry, missed the comment about not asking for critique on composition, hence my composition comments below.

---

Not as good as it could be because of the small size of the JPEG. Needs to be done on the original RAW or at least full size JPEG.

I would....
1. Increase the temp a small amount (+10)
2. Lighten the eyes just a tiny amount, add clarity and sharpness using lightroom's adjustment brush.
3. Lighten area around the boys eyes (again just a tiny amount) to lift the shadows.
4. Increase the luminance of the skin.
5. Fractionally reduce the luminance and saturation of the greens.

I also cropped the image because for me the main problem is with the composition. The fence and the girl's right arm are both distracting. The fence is easy to deal with with a small crop. The girls arm however seems determined to defy all attempts to balance the image. The length and extreme angle keeps leading the eye to the bottom left corner of the image... but there is nothing there to see. Worse still the hand has been cropped off at the wrist. Cropping at a joint usually results in an uncomfortable feeling for the viewer.

Unfortunately it seems determined to defy. Cropping tighter either results in an unbalanced image or requires cropping at the elbow, which gives the same problem as a wrist crop.

IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6ykF4Czs6sk/U6j76XXXe-I/AAAAAAAAGys/GC1UXZQzm-M/s800/14460664506_cc42bcbf8c_b-2.jpg

In the end the best I could come up with was to tilt the image rather dramatically which reduced the angle of the arm and, more importantly moves it so that it is no longer leading the eye to the left corner. Obviously this throws out the horizon but by making a substantial tilt you at least give the feeling that the angle is a concious decision and not a mistake.
IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-QiZuIEXv0gE/U6kEMuOw9MI/AAAAAAAAGzc/fEcm4J7hI8Q/s800/14460664506_cc42bcbf8c_b-5.jpg

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links

934 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would you process it differently ?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.