Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Jul 2006 (Friday) 16:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DESPERATE for help! This is urgent!!!!

GavinsMommie
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 07, 2006 16:17 |  #1

Without going into detail, my photographer for today skipped out on me due to personal issues, and now I'm left with no photographer to photograph my toddler and I need them done TODAY and finished by 6:30. I take pretty good pictures if I know what I'm doing, but this camera (Canon Powershot S2) that we just got is too complicated for me at this point. I've been reading up on it, but don't know enough yet to take pictures that I can pass as professional.

These pictures have to be taken by 6:30 and I can't get a photographer that is close enough to me since I live in a suburb of Atlanta. Everyone is too far to make it here by then.

PLEASE, if you can tell me a good standard setting that will give me professional looking pictures, that would be a great help. I don't know the features of this camera at all really...

I'll be taking most, if not all, of them outside. I need the blurred background look.

PLEASE HELP!!! Auto mode never seems to look that great on this camera for what I'm going for.

sponsored links
GavinsMommie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 07, 2006 16:19 |  #2

ALSO...how do I use digital and optical zoom in combination? The manual said something about zooming in as far as I could go, then "hitting" the zoom one more time. What??? Lol...

I'm so confused by this camera, I almost wish I had kept my crappy cybershot. I can take really good MACRO pix, but that's all I've really accomplished thus far.

Thanks for all your help!

pushtoexit
219 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 07, 2006 16:29 as a reply to  @ GavinsMommie's post |  #3

There is probably a portrait setting (little head in profile).
Have your subject about 10' away from your background.
Use optical zoom (only) to zoom in as much as possible.
Do not use digital zoom.
Turn flash on to fill any dark shadows.
Click away
Post your photo's here - requesting help to edit.

P.S. Make sure camera is taking the largest photo possible.
Large size, fine detail, ISO 50 or 100 max.

A Beginners Gallery (external link)

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 07, 2006 16:29 |  #4

Try also posting in the small compacts section, you might attract more actual S2 users. If all else fails, put the camera on full auto and give it a try. If you know how to activate the flash, use it, it will help with the shadows. Don't even worry about ever using digital zoom. Besides, I believe your S2 has a pretty decent optical zoom on it anyway.

GavinsMommie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 07, 2006 16:38 |  #5

Okay...this is stupid, but how do I JUST use optical zoom? I guess the manual is what confused me. I have taken decent pix, but I'm really just one of those people that doesn't know how to use certain things.

So, ifyou could just tell me that, then I think I can manage.

Thanks for both of your reponses...really helps!!!! :)

saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 07, 2006 16:47 |  #6

I suggest just using your optical zoom.. Look for an area without harsh light.. If you have overcast that would be best... try to put your subject atleast a few feet away from any objects behind them.. I really don't know how/if you can create DOF with a P&S... and keep your ISO as low as possible.. good luck..

sari

Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 07, 2006 16:57 |  #7

In the menu there should be a selection for optical zoom, just make sure it is off. Low iso, portrait mode, flash on, no optical zoom. Good luck.

pushtoexit
219 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 07, 2006 16:58 |  #8

Only zoom until the lens stops moving out. I think if you continue to push the zoom button 3X or 12X will pop-up in the display so just back-off until you are fully zoomed with no extra digital zoom.

Basically digital zoom only crops the picture and decreases resolution thats why we say stay away. You can crop the full image later in post processing to what you want.

Good luck

A Beginners Gallery (external link)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 08, 2006 08:30 |  #9

In the menu there should be a selection for optical zoom, just make sure it is off. Low iso, portrait mode, flash on, no optical zoom. Good luck.

Probably too late now, but that should read "selection for DIGITAL zoom, just make sure it is off."

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Az2Africa
Goldmember
3,481 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 08, 2006 08:47 |  #10

This may sound redundant, but if you want portraits, be sure to hold the camera turned 90 degrees.

"If you're not living on the edge. You're taking up too much room !"
My Gear Arizona's POTN Flickr Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

1,628 views & 0 likes for this thread
DESPERATE for help! This is urgent!!!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.