Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 11:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which camera for beginners?

Apricane
Shooting the breeze
1,729 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 23, 2014 14:42 |  #31

Sibil wrote in post #16989903 (external link)
You are correct. They can be bought used, separately, for OK price.

Yeah, but probably not for much cheaper than you'd pay for them in a kit, new.

Apricane IG Portraits (external link) IG Travel/Street (external link)
Capture One 21 Pro | Affinity Photo | ACDSee | Bridge | Photoshop
a7 III | Sony 35+55ZA+85/1.8 | Tmr 28-75+70-180/2.8 | Tmr 28-200
a6600 | Sony 70-350G

sponsored links
tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 23, 2014 15:55 |  #32

I'd go with a T4i or newer rebel or the 60D. The T4i was when they finally made all the AF points cross type. Added benefits of the 60D over the rebel line are the better controls like the addition of the rear dial. It also has a larger buffer so if you are doing burst shots or shooting fairly quickly, you are less likely to have to stop and wait for the buffer to clear. The rebel was always small in my hand and I was forced to use a grip to make things more comfortable, even so my trigger finger would always get sore after a day of shooting since I had to scrunch it to press the button. Now that I have my 5D3, the grip on it is thicker and I am much more comfortable using it. I almost never use the battery grip.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

dennyo2
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 23, 2014 17:04 |  #33

I find this thread very interesting, as I just bought my first digital camera. I went with the Canon body because I can still use my old lens that I used on my Canon RT. I must admit that this new camera is a bit overwhelming. I bought a 70D last week and I realize I have lots to learn, but from what I've read here on this forum, this is the place to learn. Now all I need to figure out is what to set the AF Method at. Have them get the best body they can afford with only one lens to start, then add on as they go along.
Denny

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,932 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Jun 23, 2014 17:20 |  #34

dennyo2 wrote in post #16990214 (external link)
I find this thread very interesting, as I just bought my first digital camera. I went with the Canon body because I can still use my old lens that I used on my Canon RT. I must admit that this new camera is a bit overwhelming. I bought a 70D last week and I realize I have lots to learn, but from what I've read here on this forum, this is the place to learn. Now all I need to figure out is what to set the AF Method at. Have them get the best body they can afford with only one lens to start, then add on as they go along.
Denny

just to put your mind at ease, the basics of photography are the same regardless of camera. apature/shutter/iso etc work all the same way regardless of camera you have used in the past or will use in the future.

like most modern cameras they have features that can take a while to learn and understand. Take your time. the camera is going to last a while and you don't have to upgrade every time a new one comes out.

I started out putting the camera in P mode instead of the green box. this way you can get access to all features but the camera is choosing the apature/shutter while you can play with the rest of the settings.

don't forget to have fun while doing it.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

mark2009
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 23, 2014 17:38 as a reply to  @ post 16989903 |  #35

I would suggest the canon t5i,kit, for $900 you get body, 18-55 and 55-250.....
Add a 50 f/1.8 for a $125 when then what to play with fix apature/lowlight stuff
Buydig has the kit for $900, they even give you a bag.

Apricane
Shooting the breeze
1,729 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 23, 2014 17:39 |  #36

tagnal wrote in post #16990077 (external link)
I'd go with a T4i or newer rebel or the 60D. The T4i was when they finally made all the AF points cross type. Added benefits of the 60D over the rebel line are the better controls like the addition of the rear dial. It also has a larger buffer so if you are doing burst shots or shooting fairly quickly, you are less likely to have to stop and wait for the buffer to clear. The rebel was always small in my hand and I was forced to use a grip to make things more comfortable, even so my trigger finger would always get sore after a day of shooting since I had to scrunch it to press the button. Now that I have my 5D3, the grip on it is thicker and I am much more comfortable using it. I almost never use the battery grip.

IMO, the 60D has really bad resale value because the T4i/T5i have just about everything it has, except slightly better ergonomics and controls, plus I think you'd end up wanting to upgrade to something better. T4i or T5i each offer a better value.

a6600 | Sony 70-350G

dennyo2
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 23, 2014 18:02 |  #37

Mark0159 wrote in post #16990239 (external link)
just to put your mind at ease, the basics of photography are the same regardless of camera. apature/shutter/iso etc work all the same way regardless of camera you have used in the past or will use in the future.

like most modern cameras they have features that can take a while to learn and understand. Take your time. the camera is going to last a while and you don't have to upgrade every time a new one comes out.

I started out putting the camera in P mode instead of the green box. this way you can get access to all features but the camera is choosing the apature/shutter while you can play with the rest of the settings.

don't forget to have fun while doing it.

Thanks Mark, P mode is where I have it for now, and I am having fun.
Denny :D

Cliffbsa
253 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 23, 2014 18:03 |  #38

Costco online has 2 bundles on sale now: Camera,18-55,55-250,16 GB card, bag.
T3i is $699, T5i is $899, both with free shipping.
Either would be a great start for a beginner.

http://www.costco.com …le.product.1000​57275.html (external link)
http://www.costco.com …le.product.1000​75344.html (external link)

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 23, 2014 20:51 |  #39

Apricane wrote in post #16990275 (external link)
IMO, the 60D has really bad resale value because the T4i/T5i have just about everything it has, except slightly better ergonomics and controls, plus I think you'd end up wanting to upgrade to something better. T4i or T5i each offer a better value.

If you get into high pressure shooting, that rear dial can make a huge difference to change settings without coming off the viewfinder.

If you ever want to shoot at f/1.2 in full sunlight, the 1/8000 shutter speed will be necessary if you don't want to use a filter.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 23, 2014 21:24 |  #40

Wow, the suggestions and comments are very helpful! I really appreciate you all taking the time to comment on the topic. I have pitched them the options that you guys suggested. We'll see what they say.

itsray
263 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 23, 2014 22:40 |  #41

as a beginner I got a t4i this year with the lenses you can see in my sig, the nikon lens was from my moms old film camera and its all manual so its good for me to learn with.

if you can find a t5i for a good price get that. thats just my 2 cents.

Apricane
Shooting the breeze
1,729 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 23, 2014 22:41 |  #42

waterrockets wrote in post #16990562 (external link)
If you get into high pressure shooting, that rear dial can make a huge difference to change settings without coming off the viewfinder.

If you ever want to shoot at f/1.2 in full sunlight, the 1/8000 shutter speed will be necessary if you don't want to use a filter.

I hardly think a 'beginner' would need to shoot at f/1.2. Hell, I've been into DSLR photography for three years now, and have never owned a lens faster than 1.8 yet.

The same holds for high pressure shooting. It is very true that a rear dial is very useful, so much so that I wouldn't do without it now that I've had a 60D for more than a year and now recently got a 70D. It still remains that this is hardly something a beginner needs to worry about, as being in a 'high pressure shooting' situation, to be efficient, you need to know your exposure needs rather instinctively.

One of the Rebels, esp. the T4i and T5i are really capable cameras that will stay attractive for beginners, so if you want to upgrade or don't want to stick with photography, should be easier to re-sell than a 60D that has little added value, especially regarding its labelling as a 'Super Rebel', and would likely be harder to re-sell.

a6600 | Sony 70-350G

Jaejin0417
131 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 24, 2014 01:08 |  #43

I went with the 40d and I still use it. Absolutely loved it. I tried out schools rebel cameras and decided to shoot with mine instead. I like the 40d cause it seems to fit my hands better, rebel seems a bit, plastic. I believe the xxD series has better easier to access settings and buttons. But I could be totally wrong. Haven't touched a rebel in almost a year.

Canon 70D
Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS
Canon 24-70 2.8L

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 24, 2014 08:05 |  #44

Apricane wrote in post #16990723 (external link)
I hardly think a 'beginner' would need to shoot at f/1.2. Hell, I've been into DSLR photography for three years now, and have never owned a lens faster than 1.8 yet.

The same holds for high pressure shooting. It is very true that a rear dial is very useful, so much so that I wouldn't do without it now that I've had a 60D for more than a year and now recently got a 70D. It still remains that this is hardly something a beginner needs to worry about, as being in a 'high pressure shooting' situation, to be efficient, you need to know your exposure needs rather instinctively.

One of the Rebels, esp. the T4i and T5i are really capable cameras that will stay attractive for beginners, so if you want to upgrade or don't want to stick with photography, should be easier to re-sell than a 60D that has little added value, especially regarding its labelling as a 'Super Rebel', and would likely be harder to re-sell.

"Little added value" is a ridiculous statement. True for some, not for others.

So, for how long will one be beginner? How important is this hobby to them? Everyone is different, and some would be better off with touch screens, and some would be better off with a rear dial. The depreciation on new Rebels is much more severe than a 1-generation-old XXD body, so if OP decides to upgrade, there's less money to work with. Minimizing the differences between XXXD body and XXD bodies removes information needed for decision making.

I am not suggesting that a 60D is the right answer. I am helping OP and future thread visitors to understand what the 60D features mean. It certainly may be true that a T5i is the correct route. I even recommended that body to an extremely well-off family member, just based on the kind of shooting he wanted to do, even though he could drop $100k on the hobby and not miss the money. On the other hand, I've started beginner friends off with the 50D to stretch their limited budget as far as possible with a goal to eventually shoot sports for money.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
3,047 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 24, 2014 09:43 |  #45

But how can you have a reasonable discussion about which camera is the best for a beginner and advise on what features may or may not benefit the beginner when the person in question is not a member of POTN and so is therefore not contributing to the discussion which means that we don't know the type of photography that they will be doing how often they will be going out with their camera and what their future plans will be regarding their equipment.

Bloody hell I said all that without any full stops.

I've just caught my wedding vegetables in the flange!!!
You've got the face of an angel and the willy of the Loch Ness monster.

sponsored links

6,845 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which camera for beginners?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.