Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

kiwichris
I forget how I didded that!
2,651 posts
Gallery: 112 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 23, 2014 08:07 |  #6586

manipula wrote in post #16988866 (external link)
Serious question here...

Do any of you guys want to see any of the images I shot in Japan recently, or is it seen as bragging etc? I'm getting increasingly torn lately as to whether to post anything, in actual fact only really sticking things online out of obligation of keeping the flame flickering on my online presence such that if I ever wanna be a photographer in my own right again, I'm not starting from scratch.

How do you guys feel about this stuff? What happens when you go beyond sharing for tips and learning and just putting stuff on the web for the sake of it? All ego or still worthwhile?

Appreciate any thoughts any of you might have.

I stick pics up because it is a photography thread and I like to get an idea of what others think. My mentality says if one person says 'quite nice' then there must others who think so also, but do not write. I am happy for folk to say for example, 'not sharp enough' and offer citique like tone it back a notch etc.

But, it is nice to see what others are doing and in fact to be able to ask "How didja do that?" from time to time and get constructive answers. I also like to see camera settings so I can sort of look at the same settings myself, and there is one bugging me, how not to get lights not blown out in night shots ie the colour shows on the outside but the centre is white no matter what the colour of the light is.

But, thanks for asking :)

Panasonic Lumix G9 and lenses from 7mm wide to 300mm long.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chriswaynzpics/ (external link)

sponsored links
FlyingPete
I am immune
4,135 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Jun 23, 2014 14:59 |  #6587

Mark0159 wrote in post #16988785 (external link)
Hey, thought you had given up on photography

Never, just my enthusiasm varies :rolleyes: Lots of issues on home front in last few years, all sorting itself out now, more time to spend on photography :)

Peter Lowden.
Gear List: Kodak Brownie Reflex BR20 with 80mm f/11 lens and some digital stuff. EOS Owner since 1996! (Click here for complete List)

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,816 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Jun 23, 2014 15:38 |  #6588

Dave, if you really want a online presence then you need your own website. Facebook, Flicker or any other social media site may be a place to start but it's not the end goal.

If you have a look at the top photographers in the world they have their own website. This means that they can control the quality of the content. (we all know what facebook does it it's images)

Once you have got a online presence you need to tell people about it. And not just your friends or family or even friends of friends. Everyone you meet you need to tell them about your site. No one will find just buy looking around the internet.

Of course you only do this if you want to make money from photography.

FlyingPete wrote in post #16989968 (external link)
Never, just my enthusiasm varies :rolleyes: Lots of issues on home front in last few years, all sorting itself out now, more time to spend on photography :)

haha I wouldn't worry. I have only picked up the camera a handful of times this year. I went to the tauranga to get up early and take sunrise photos. never did. :oops:

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

FlyingPete
I am immune
4,135 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Jun 23, 2014 15:54 |  #6589

Mark0159 wrote in post #16990046 (external link)
haha I wouldn't worry. I have only picked up the camera a handful of times this year. I went to the tauranga to get up early and take sunrise photos. never did. :oops:

I'm off to Queenstown this weekend with the kids, might on the outside chance, just maybe find something worthy of photographing!

Peter Lowden.
Gear List: Kodak Brownie Reflex BR20 with 80mm f/11 lens and some digital stuff. EOS Owner since 1996! (Click here for complete List)

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 24, 2014 03:17 |  #6590

Thanks for the comments everybody, much appreciated.

Mark0159 wrote in post #16990046 (external link)
Dave, if you really want a online presence then you need your own website. Facebook, Flicker or any other social media site may be a place to start but it's not the end goal.

Mark, see here: clicky (external link)

I guess for those that don't know my background history, I've been shooting 15yrs now and currently look after digitisation and imaging at the NZ National Archive (strategically not named properly as here I'm Dave, not their employee), amongst which I'm currently responsible for is the largest historic digitisation programme ever in NZ, totalling around 6million+ images. There I also did my first book, which two years on is still amongst the best sellers in NZ as seen here (external link). I'll be publicly speaking relating to photography three times this year to people as diverse as the coppers' forensics team and to the Photo Society of NZ. I also teach at a private business/photo school as seen here (external link) where it seems like we can't run enough courses to save ourselves half the time.

On top of that I've been able to use photography as a luxury and keep it entirely self centred and just shoot what I want, which over the last few years is basically portraiture (including a very slow running project to photograph 100 everyday women and make another book) and landscapes. I do the odd bit of commercial work, usually for a couple of architectural practices in NZ and Aussie and the odd product shot.

So genuinely without trying to sound like a cock or anything, it's not often I need feedback on images. I don't currently try and drive traffic to my website as it's not my income or career as such, I just keep it ticking over so if I ever move into working purely for myself it's got history behind it.

So what I was really getting at, is in these circumstances, is posting photos just seen as an ego trip, because if it's not business or progress, why bother? Does sticking stuff up online here or anywhere else just come across as wrong and all egotistical? Because contrary to how this post may sound, it's like the last thing I'm wanting to do with my work... :confused:

I ask here as it's a small group and well rounded and I value your opinions. Currently at a cross roads with what to do in terms of spending time on photography online, whether I'm doing more harm than good basically?

Thoughts welcome. :)

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,766 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jun 24, 2014 03:23 |  #6591

It's always good to have your ego stroked Dave :)

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 24, 2014 03:32 |  #6592

Doesn't feel that way to me fella... :)

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,816 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Jun 24, 2014 04:45 as a reply to  @ post 16990984 |  #6593

FlyingPete wrote in post #16990072 (external link)
I'm off to Queenstown this weekend with the kids, might on the outside chance, just maybe find something worthy of photographing!

perhaps you will get some snow and you could make a post card snap or two. If that doesn't work out you could point the thing at your kids.

manipula wrote in post #16990972 (external link)

I guess for those that don't know my background history, I've been shooting 15yrs now and currently look after digitisation and imaging at the NZ National Archive (strategically not named properly as here I'm Dave, not their employee), amongst which I'm currently responsible for is the largest historic digitisation programme ever in NZ, totalling around 6million+ images. There I also did my first book, which two years on is still amongst the best sellers in NZ as seen here (external link). I'll be publicly speaking relating to photography three times this year to people as diverse as the coppers' forensics team and to the Photo Society of NZ. I also teach at a private business/photo school as seen here (external link) where it seems like we can't run enough courses to save ourselves half the time.

On top of that I've been able to use photography as a luxury and keep it entirely self centred and just shoot what I want, which over the last few years is basically portraiture (including a very slow running project to photograph 100 everyday women and make another book) and landscapes. I do the odd bit of commercial work, usually for a couple of architectural practices in NZ and Aussie and the odd product shot.

So genuinely without trying to sound like a cock or anything, it's not often I need feedback on images. I don't currently try and drive traffic to my website as it's not my income or career as such, I just keep it ticking over so if I ever move into working purely for myself it's got history behind it.

So what I was really getting at, is in these circumstances, is posting photos just seen as an ego trip, because if it's not business or progress, why bother? Does sticking stuff up online here or anywhere else just come across as wrong and all egotistical? Because contrary to how this post may sound, it's like the last thing I'm wanting to do with my work... :confused:

I ask here as it's a small group and well rounded and I value your opinions. Currently at a cross roads with what to do in terms of spending time on photography online, whether I'm doing more harm than good basically?

Have you heard of Vivan Maier. All of her 150,000 mostly undeveloped photos were found after she had died. You could say that is the opposite of egotistical. She had taken all those photos and didn't show a single frame to any person. Only now after her death has her come to light. Perhaps that's her idea who knows. it's even possible that she wouldn't have liked that.
But all artists or those that believe they are artist are egotistical to a point. what's the point of creating something and never showing the world?

What everyone likes or dislikes is going to be different. Not everyone will like what you have taken or what you have shown to the world. I looked thou your website and as I guide for myself I know I like a photo if I stop at it and look at it. I can honestly say that only a small amount of photos made stop and look. But that's me. I guess that's something that makes me struggle with photography. I look at my work and don't see anything I would stop and look at if someone else had taken it.
Anyway that's not the point. The work is doing any harm. it's not presenting you in a bad light and if it's not going to turn in to a profession then I can't see how it's doing more harm than good.

On a different note that NZ archives work sounds interesting. I have always enjoyed old photos and even in the past dabbled in restoring the odd family photo.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

kiwichris
2,651 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 24, 2014 06:57 |  #6594

So, do you, and the rest of our group see my postings as primarily egotistical?

tongmaster
547 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 24, 2014 15:24 as a reply to  @ kiwichris's post |  #6595

Dave, Chris, I think using the term egotistical is unhelpful and misplaced. People that show their photos here do so for a whole range of reasons - pure sharing, for critical feedback, because they are pleased with photo and proud to show it (that is not egotistical in my opinion), to illustrate a point or story, etc.

I personally enjoy seeing the range of photos on here, almost always technically good, often interesting, humerous and personal. I enjoy seeing travel photos (would rather be invited to a slide presentation with commentry and beer, Dave!) as I know I will probably not get to places myself and other people's views of a place you know are always worthwhile.

So, keep putting them on here Chris, it is unlikely I will comment unless it REALLY pushes a button, one way or the other.

Keep on being clicking, sharing, inspiring, illustrating kiwis!

Canon 5D MkII, 24-105 F4L IS, Flickr (external link)

FlyingPete
I am immune
4,135 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Jun 24, 2014 15:38 as a reply to  @ tongmaster's post |  #6596

Egotistical seems to have become an ugly word, is it really that bad to have those traits? It seems to often be what drives people to be better at what they do.

I would think on self evaluation I can be, however I would probably find it a bit insulting if someone told me so. I think the fact I am sharing my opinion is evidence of that :p

Peter Lowden.

kiwichris
2,651 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 24, 2014 23:33 |  #6597

Funny, after I posted I did a little of intraspective analysis because I honestly was not sure as to why I post pics here. Then the words from a bulletin board group I have belonged to since around 2000, one of them 'Mericans said "thanks for sharing." Then I realised, mostly I post to share, comments are nice but not expected. Sometimes it is to ask a question and the pic maybe an example and frankly sometimes just for the company.

In reference to Vivan Maier whom I had never heard of, I currently have 2 cardboard boxes and one old brief case full of colour prints and negs. I used to get 'em developed and printed, copies made if they were for weddings then just put the whole lot away. My ex used from time to time buy one of those books with plastic photo holders and put some books together. I have given a lot away. I lost one box of pics and negs because a garage in Foxton leaked.

It is only recently that I have really started to display and share my pics and enjoy bringing perhaps some light, colour, a different perception and unrealised beauty into peoples lives, for them to appreciate and enjoy, and also feel a little happier.

Of course the happier bit works well here, after all don't you feel happier that my attempts at post are no where near the quality of yours? :P (Not directed at any individual, just you folk collectively :) )

I do not believe I am egotistical, deaf- yes, stupid-no, but never driven by ego or for that matter, status. I'll shut up now :lol:

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,592 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jun 25, 2014 04:34 |  #6598

So what I was really getting at, is in these circumstances, is posting photos just seen as an ego trip, because if it's not business or progress, why bother? Does sticking stuff up online here or anywhere else just come across as wrong and all egotistical?

not at all Dave, can't speak for anyone else but me, but I do enjoy seeing your postings here & everyone elses.

Mark0159 wrote in post #16991032 (external link)
Have you heard of Vivan Maier. All of her 150,000 mostly undeveloped photos were found after she had died.

I hadn't, but think it's going to be increasingly more common that good works are going to be lost/forgotten due to being archived away on some old crappy hard drive. At least in the film & print days there would be a relatively easy way to view the legacy for a long time.

kiwichris wrote in post #16992870 (external link)
after all don't you feel happier that my attempts at post are no where near the quality of yours?

load of bollocks Chris....

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

kiwichris
2,651 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 25, 2014 06:07 |  #6599

^^^

quote "load of bollocks Chris...." unquote

I was being tongue in cheek Joseph, tongue in cheek, but thanks. Having said that, I do feel post production is the part I have to work hard at. I am not good enough with software for it to flow comfortably.

kiwichris
2,651 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 25, 2014 22:53 |  #6600

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3908/14508567404_1b0ef83009_o.jpg

sponsored links

856,239 views & 662 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.