Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Jun 2014 (Tuesday) 08:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D or 7D.

OneDeep
216 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 24, 2014 08:36 |  #1

I want to upgrade soon I'm outgrowing the limits of my current camera 600D. I mainly do portraits most of the time indoor with strobes. I'm trying to work on natural light for outdoor portraits (most people want outdoor) and I don't like raising the ISO above 400 on my camera. So I need a good high iso camera.

I also love shooting sports mostly kids outdoor and indoor. It's hard with a 600D, fps not fast enough I miss focus a lot but I try to make it work. I like having the extra reach of a crop. I don't know if I need a camera that's excellent in high iso or a camera that's excellent in fps. My main focus right now is portraits but I'm an athlete and enjoy sports more. What camera should I upgrade to, 6D or 7D is my only options, most of my lens are EF. Thanks

Personal Trainer with random hobbies.

sponsored links
Bayard
67 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 24, 2014 08:45 |  #2

You are able to push your post editing capabilities much further on the 6d shots than the 7d. I’ve owned both and the grain on the 7d gets bad quick. If you do a lot of autofocus your not gonna like the 6d though. I do a lot of spot focus and it works for me. You miss having the popup flash when flying with minimal gear and the joystick on the back that a lot of cameras have. If you use a lot of flash with your portraits the 7d would be fine as it even has a faster sync than the 6d.

6D / 70-200 2.8ISii / 24-105Lf.4 / 50 1.4

jroovs
232 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 24, 2014 08:46 |  #3

If most of your lenses are EF, then it would be easy to switch to the 6D. It will be better for portraits and you can shoot at very high ISOs relatively noise free. The 7D will be better for sports with more reach and greater FPS as you noted. I picked up a 6D not too long ago and actually kept my 7D - it will be used with my long lens for birds and wildlife, and the 6D for pretty much everything else. You could always get the 6D, and then if you can afford it, pick up a used 7D - on the second hand market, they are coming down in price quickly and are more and more affordable.

7D, 6D, 24-105L, 100 2.8, 400 5.6 L

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,951 posts
Gallery: 2058 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 24, 2014 08:46 |  #4

Heya,

6D, plain and simple. The 7D has no advantage what so ever for your needs over your current 600D (T3i), as they're the same sensor and same ISO ability, etc. The 7D just has better autofocus, but everything else image quality wise, they're equal basically. The 6D on the other hand has quite a jump in ISO performance and range, better dynamic range, higher resolution, and a much more controllable depth of field per focal length, being full frame instead of APS-C, which is nicer for portrait so that you can have better selection of lens per focal length.

Now, the 6D is not ideal for sports. It will do fine, if you simply learn to shoot action. I can shoot kids soccer no problem with a T4i which is essentially the same as the T3i for the most part. FPS doesn't really matter to me, as long as it's 3~4 FPS it's more than enough, I don't just spray 6~7 FPS when shooting, as I don't want to sift through 1000+ photos from an afternoon, looking that one shot.

Really I would just suggest you practice more with your T3i for sports and keep it for that. Outdoor sports, with ISO 800~1600, and develop your post processing (noise reduction) work flow so that this isn't an issue. Granted, the 6D can do just as good, if not better (especially for ISO pushing to keep high frame rates) if you practice it too. Both cameras lack high FPS. The only advantage the 7D offers you here is higher FPS and a better autofocus system for action. The question becomes... are you willing to sacrifice quality everywhere, just for high FPS and AF?

This is where the 5D3 comes in. Or a 1D series. But it depends on your budget, if you want to get the best of both worlds.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 24, 2014 08:51 |  #5

I doubt that you can even begin to see ISO noise on a properly exposed picture on the 600D until 800 or 1600. Maybe check your settings and post work. I used to push my T1i to 3200 when I needed to.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,972 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 24, 2014 08:56 |  #6

MalVeauX wrote in post #16991324 (external link)
Heya,

6D, plain and simple.

Nuff said.

Getting better at this - Fuji X-t3 x2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 16-80 - 35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

LiQuiD3
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 24, 2014 09:00 |  #7

6D is the better choice. Better image sensor (FF).

Canon EOS 5D | Canon EF 135MM F2L | Originals never fade!

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,560 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 24, 2014 09:13 |  #8

Have to go with the 6D crowd here. I own the 6D and the 7D and while the 7D may be my choice for daytime sports where I can shoot at ISO 400 or below, the 6D works better for indoor or evening sports due the ability to crank the ISO. The FPS on the 6D is lower, of course, so it depends on the sport. If you absolutely need the 8FPS of the 7D, then you might want to go with it. But if you can live with the 4.5 FPS of the 6D, it's the better choice over all.

Mark J.
Gear

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,277 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 24, 2014 09:19 |  #9

You sound like a prime candidate for a 5DIII. Nearly the same ISO capability as the 6D and a better AF than the 7D.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,560 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 24, 2014 09:22 |  #10

Agreed, the 5D MkIII would be the way to go. But that $1000 premium over the 6D is a tough nut for someone on a budget.

Something to consider, OneDeep. The Amazon Store card gives you one full year interest free to pay it off. They won't start you off with a limit that will allow you to buy the 5DMkIII, but if you have enough cash for the 6D, the Amazon Store card should cover the rest. Just make very sure you pay it off in a year or you get slapped with all the interest. And don't go crazy with the card. Might be worth looking into as an option, though. Just FYI.

Mark J.
Gear

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 24, 2014 09:27 |  #11

+1 for the 6D

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

OneDeep
THREAD ­ STARTER
216 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 24, 2014 09:29 |  #12

I don't really spray and pray when I do sports now the kids are not moving that fast compared to adults so I guess I wouldn't need the fps in the 7D, but as someone mention get the 6D now and get a 7D as a backup in the future. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Personal Trainer with random hobbies.

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 24, 2014 09:32 |  #13

if you are coming from the 7D then I will say get the 5D3
but you are using the 600D then the 6D is perfect for your use

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

UserM4
174 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 24, 2014 09:40 |  #14

5d3. Save up or sell something for it.

6D ☺ G7 X Mark II ☺ SL1 ☺ EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM ☺ EF 28 f/2.8 IS ☺ EF 85 f/1.8 ☺ Rokinon 8 f/3.5 ☺ EF 24-105 f/4L IS ☺ EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS ☺ EF 50 f/1.8 STM ☺ EF 24-70 f/2.8L II

Aki78
963 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 24, 2014 09:40 |  #15

M_Six wrote in post #16991382 (external link)
Have to go with the 6D crowd here. I own the 6D and the 7D and while the 7D may be my choice for daytime sports where I can shoot at ISO 400 or below, the 6D works better for indoor or evening sports due the ability to crank the ISO. The FPS on the 6D is lower, of course, so it depends on the sport. If you absolutely need the 8FPS of the 7D, then you might want to go with it. But if you can live with the 4.5 FPS of the 6D, it's the better choice over all.

Yep this.

7D for outdoors (or overcast) with fast lens is great for fast sports/wildlife. Anything indoors, 6D shines including portraits. I sold my 7D recently and stuck with the 6D.

sponsored links

3,215 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D or 7D.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.