Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 23 Jun 2014 (Monday) 06:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flickr or Facebook?

Nissanfairladyz32
440 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jun 24, 2014 05:13 |  #16

Flickr.

www.jamesmcguirephotog​raphy.com (external link)
5DIII / 24-70 2.8 ISL / 70-200 F2.8 IsII L / Flash = YN-560 III / YN-565

sponsored links
hello ­ people
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 24, 2014 10:08 |  #17

Do people often post large res or reasonably large res to Flickr? Is 800x600 silly?

Do people ever stumble onto your Flickr page without any advertising for want of a better word?

Or if you don't say, link it is sigs or share your Flickr link online or to friends will zero people view it?

60D, x100S

Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 24, 2014 10:29 |  #18

I use both. Sometimes the compression on Facebook pictures is painful to look at.

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,414 posts
Gallery: 222 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 24, 2014 17:24 |  #19

hello people wrote in post #16991502 (external link)
Do people often post large res or reasonably large res to Flickr? Is 800x600 silly?

Do people ever stumble onto your Flickr page without any advertising for want of a better word?

Or if you don't say, link it is sigs or share your Flickr link online or to friends will zero people view it?

I normally upload 960 on the long side to Flickr. Seems to work well for posting here on the Forum.

I get people looking at mine sometimes, but maybe people who clicked on the pic here on the forum, which took them to the Flickr image, then they check out my other images.

There are groups on Flickr that you can join, hundreds of them, according to what your interests are. That way, you can get dozens or more folks looking at your... macro, or birds, or street shots, or whatever. I used to be active in a few groups, but then got a little busy for that.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 24, 2014 18:40 |  #20

I use both. I have some followers on FB that I like to share with, and Flickr gives a great user friendly HTML/BBCODE interface for posting to various forums (such as, but not limited to, this one).

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

hello ­ people
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 24, 2014 19:06 |  #21

Ok thanks. I joined Flickr...see how that goes. I have a lot of pics to put up there I guess but I have to sort them all out.

60D, x100S

Naji
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 24, 2014 19:13 |  #22

A good website for independent photographers is yet to come. Flickr, 500px, tumblr, facebook - all have their own drawbacks. Using specific methods one can get his / her average quality pics to the frontpage of Flickr or 500px easily, after some time. If you are not willing to put your time and effort to promote your material on these two sites, your amazing stuff will most probably go unnoticed. So is tumblr, but it is foremost a social network. You have to get good followers and get reblogged by some of the most followed people there to bring attention to your work, and there are ways to do that too.

If your intention is to display your work / portfolio to clients, then go with 500px, it looks much better. If you are looking for private photoshoot requests, go with Facebook, since it is the most social of them. If you want to get critique on your work, you can use any of the above for storage except facebook and then post the photos on this board.

hello ­ people
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 24, 2014 20:26 |  #23

A good run-down Naji, thanks

60D, x100S

ian_socool
Goldmember
1,840 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 11, 2014 10:08 |  #24

Kwirk wrote in post #16991538 (external link)
I use both. Sometimes the compression on Facebook pictures is painful to look at.

Absolutely. The only way to get show able photos on fB is to upload full res and that is painful.
Facebook is your tool to sell your work to facebookers who can pass thru your fanpage. Flickr is a great online portfolio
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/ian_socool/ (external link)

70D, 80D, SL1, Sigma 10-20 3.5, Σ30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 Pancake Σ70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ85 1.4, Σ50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO, Godox AD 200 X's 2, 430EX II X's 2, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers X4.Ian_socool FlickR (external link) Facebook fanpage (external link) http://ianlynphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,350 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flickr or Facebook?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.