Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 18 Jun 2014 (Wednesday) 10:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark III video limit

thegfxman
663 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 18, 2014 10:49 |  #1

Hey guys, I am shooting a video this week and was curious about the time limit on a 5D Mark III. I remember when they first came out there was a maximum capture time (around 30 minutes or so?)

Do I need to install Magic Lantern in order to remove that time limit? I need to shoot for 1-1.5 hours straight without stopping.

Thanks,
Dan

5D Mark III
35L II 24-70L II
70-200L 17-40L 135L
photos: danpetersphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,398 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 18, 2014 11:38 |  #2

I think you need to get a video camera then.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

TTGator
649 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 18, 2014 13:37 |  #3

Yes, it's 30 min or 4GB, whichever comes first. Magic Lantern will automatically restart recording for you when you hit this limit. A couple seconds will be lost between that automatic stop and restart.

5DII & 5DIII | 85 F1.8 | 100mm F2.8 Macro | 16-35 II L | 35L | 24-105 F4L [COLOR=black]| 70-200 F2.8 IS L | Speedlite 540EX | AB800(x4) | Manfrotto 561BHDV Monopod |
Radiopopper JrX | Newton Di100FR2 | Sekonic L-358 | Lastolite TriGrip | A long Christmas list
Website (external link)

joelbroughton
34 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 25, 2014 07:06 as a reply to  @ TTGator's post |  #4

I'm not sure I would recommend the 5Dk3 if you need to shoot 1.5 hours straight without interruption. Having said that, make sure you get fast, reliable CF cards. That will be key to not having interruptions, the crappier ones will drop frames and/or cause the camera to stop recording.

5D Mark iii | 50mm f/1.4

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,473 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 25, 2014 15:15 |  #5

Even without ML the 5D3 will automatically start a second file when the first file reaches the 4GB limit. It's unclear if any frames will be lost. However, it doesn't seem that it will automatically start another file at the 29:59 limit.

Page 234 of this PDF manual:
http://www.usa.canon.c​om …k_iii#Brochures​AndManuals (external link)

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

mesakid
363 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 26, 2014 17:58 |  #6

Magic lantern does have the ability to extend the time. They have a restart feature, not sure if in the 5d mark iii ml firmware. I think you can capture past 30 minutes with an atoms ninja.

https://www.youtube.co​m/that1cameraguy (external link)
A7RII | A6300 | RX10II | RX100IV | BATIS 85 | ZEISS 55 | SONY 35 | SONY 70-300 | SONY 70-200 F4 | ZEISS 16-70

AlFooteIII
439 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Jun 26, 2014 18:33 |  #7

Atomos Ninja all the way.

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/ (external link)
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photography (external link)

fullfram
36 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Aug 01, 2014 22:09 |  #8

5D won't be able to help you.... get the sony a7

Corporate video & photo at Full Frame Productions (external link)

JonKline
192 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Aug 07, 2014 20:00 |  #9

Even if you get past 30 minutes with a recorder, Canon DSLRs don't like to run for extended periods. You'll get overheating issues, and crazy levels of fixed pattern noise. If you need to run for long, keep it at 100 ISO.

Cinematographer Chicago (external link) | Milwaukee camera, lighting & grip (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Sony FS7 (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 08, 2014 08:38 |  #10

Can maybe take a look at the BMPCC which is half off until Aug 31st http://www.cnet.com …ma-camera-now-half-price/ (external link) $495
Just need to look into extended power options and m4/3 lenses or just get an adapter. No 30min record limit to worry about.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

InterMurph
253 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 13, 2014 11:20 |  #11

TTGator wrote in post #16979688 (external link)
Yes, it's 30 min or 4GB, whichever comes first. Magic Lantern will automatically restart recording for you when you hit this limit. A couple seconds will be lost between that automatic stop and restart.

The 5D Mark III does not stop recording at the 4GB mark. The 5D Mark II did, but the 5D Mark III does not.

The 5D Mark III instead closes the current file and starts writing to a new file, with no frame loss. When you insert these two clips adjacent in your editor's timeline, they will play back as if they were one clip.

Both the 5D Mark II and the 5D Mark III stop recording after 29:59. When I am filming plays, I do a quick stop/start cycle during scene breaks, well before the limit is reached.

The only way around this limit on DSLR video is an external HDMI recorder such as the Atomos Ninja.

sponsored links

2,997 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark III video limit
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.