Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Jun 2014 (Wednesday) 08:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gray Market Lens?

delta0014
316 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jun 25, 2014 08:39 |  #1

I am looking at buying a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC lens.
On Amazon, one seller (Eagle Camera fulfilled by Amazon) is selling for 1299. The rest of the sellers are at 1499. I'm guessing it's a gray market lens since on Tamron's website it doesn't list the seller and I can't find any info about the seller online.
Obviously on the Tamron website it warns you not to buy gray market lens. But on B&H webistes it says:
"Grey market" is not illegal, not factory seconds, not demo merchandise, not cheaper or inferior products. In fact in almost every instance a "grey market" product is absolutely identical to its US-warranted counterpart.

Any reason I shouldn't buy it? Anyone bought a grey market lens?

It says it's fulfilled by Amazon with their customer service.

5D Mark IV
24-70L f2.8 ii / 85L ii / 135L / Rokinon 14mm f2.8
Yongnuo 600RT x 3
Just a hobby - CC always welcome.
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,282 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 25, 2014 08:44 |  #2

Warranty. From my understanding at least with Canon lenses, if there is a problem you have to deal with the seller and not Canon. I'm guessing that it would be the same with a Tammy lens.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 25, 2014 17:32 |  #3

Call Tamron and ask them about the warranty.

GEAR LIST

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 25, 2014 17:52 |  #4

delta0014 wrote in post #16993406 (external link)
a "grey market" product is absolutely identical to its US-warranted counterpart.

Any reason I shouldn't buy it? Anyone bought a grey market lens?

The clue is in the comments by B&H.

The lens is the same as a non grey market lens, but probably doesn't have a US warranty from the manufacturer, because it came through a different import route and, as they didn't supply it the US distributor (quite reasonably) tends to not want to fix it, at their expense, if it goes wrong.

Usually the seller will provide a third party warranty, or if it doesn't come with a warranty you need to decide if the savings are sufficient to justify the possibility of having to pay to have it fixed if it goes wrong. Naturally, if it arrives not working properly you still have the same rights to return to the seller for a replacement or refund.

5280Pics
Goldmember
2,321 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 25, 2014 19:03 |  #5

My recent purchase of my Sigma 18-35 was a grey market lens. It came with a Korean Warranty card. I was lucky that the lens is flawless (knock on wood, that it stays that way). As I understand it, it's the warranty that is the kicker for the grey market lenses. If it wasn't for the extra (Korean) stickers on the box, and the warranty card, there is no other way to tell the difference from one that was sold to a US vendor.

hrblaine
284 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 25, 2014 19:43 as a reply to  @ 5280Pics's post |  #6

I've never had to use a lens warrenty, how common is it?

gjl711
56,282 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 25, 2014 19:53 |  #7

hrblaine wrote in post #16994614 (external link)
I've never had to use a lens warrenty, how common is it?

I've sent back 50% of my lenses mostly for front/back focus issues although one had a jammed aperture. However since MFA I've returned none. I'm really picky when it comes to focus.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 26, 2014 00:53 |  #8

I'm a Tamron fan-boy, but I wouldn't buy one grey market. If the seller doesn't have a proper repair department, and there is a problem with the lens, it'll cost you more to have it looked at then the savings you're talking about. Just my 2 cents.

Canon OTOH, I would buy grey market, as they will still typically cover the warranty from what I understand.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 26, 2014 07:49 |  #9

I have my students ask me all the time why do you shoot Canon? Many reasns but repair is a big one. If you did hae a Canon lens not meant of the USA (grey market,) Canon will still fix it mybe under warranty, maybe not. But they will fix it. If you shoot with Nikon and bought a grey market Nikon lens, Nikon USA repair will refuse to even look at it. You'd have to sen it to Nikon Europe and pay for the repair.

GEAR LIST

Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 26, 2014 09:21 |  #10

Six year warranty.

pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 27, 2014 06:40 |  #11

Kwirk wrote in post #16995553 (external link)
Six year warranty.

+1

Tamron has the best warranty in the business, from what I can tell. To pay for a third-party warranty, foregoing a 6-year OEM warranty to save a bit would be, for me, short-sighted.

Digital EOS 90D Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

gjl711
56,282 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 27, 2014 07:20 |  #12

pknight wrote in post #16997262 (external link)
+1

Tamron has the best warranty in the business, from what I can tell. To pay for a third-party warranty, foregoing a 6-year OEM warranty to save a bit would be, for me, short-sighted.

When you factor in the cost of a third party warranty, I wonder if there is any cost savings at all. Gray market lenses are a bit less expensive but not by that much.

Calzor ­ Suzay
52 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 27, 2014 07:40 |  #13

Tamron info (external link)

sponsored links

4,030 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gray Market Lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.