Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Jun 2014 (Tuesday) 16:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shoot & Burn : Wedding Clients wants to keep SD cards after the event

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,235 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 25, 2014 11:17 |  #16

cdifoto wrote in post #16993686 (external link)
My raw files look like crap so that's not an option.

Pretty much where I'm at. If I were to agree to that setup I would probably shoot in .jpg. I would have lots of questions about whether the client understands what a raw file is and how they intend to get to the finished product once I hand over the cards. I'm not saying I wouldnt take the gig, but I would have questions.

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 25, 2014 11:18 |  #17

benji25 wrote in post #16993573 (external link)
For as much as people talk about "getting it right in camera" these days 90% of the picture is captured in the moment.

A more relevant example would be the baker mixes all of the ingredients and preheats the oven, but you put the food in the oven and take it out at the end.

A lot of the ingredients are in post so it's not really valid to say it all gets premixed. The only thing you see in my style is the lighting, and that's a small part of the look.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Rushmore
Goldmember
1,116 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 25, 2014 13:47 |  #18

Thing is.. if you give them the RAW files with all the EXIF data.. you have no evidence of copyright if the **** hit the fan...

If you do decide it.. make sure you charge accordingly....

Reppin the 5D iii and 7D with some lenses and some lights
LIKE MY PHOTOGRAPHY PAGE (external link)
MY STUDIO FACEBOOK PAGE (external link)
www.phlashworx.co.uk (external link)
My Photography Website (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,383 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 25, 2014 14:51 |  #19

Many photographers talk about making a picture. The raw file is simply one ingredient of the final completed piece.

I agree with post #5. Life is full of choices. Just know all the pros and cons and make your decisions/set your pricing accordingly.

strykher1025
THREAD ­ STARTER
162 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2013

Jun 25, 2014 15:06 |  #20

sspellman wrote in post #16993306 (external link)
Unusual yes, but the right choice for the right price.

I agree that delivering the best service to your client means carefully selecting and editing the final photos they see. It does create a far better impression of your work to have it carefully edited.

However, there are some clients that are skilled and experienced with doing their own selecting and editing, and have a requirement for keeping the card and original files. If you can agree on the right price for this service and unrestricted image rights, and keep a copy and portfolio rights, I have accepted a few of these gigs. I charge 2-4X my normal rates to provide cards and unrestricted image rights.

Regardless, I would be more careful than normal and delete the awful photos on the card.

-Scott

Thank you guys for all your responses..

I still got some thinking to do on this for sure. My other addition would be is even if I delete the bad files on camera, since the client want the orignal SD card --- they may still have a way of restoring those deleted files. Unless we come to an agreement of copying the card for porfolio reason, and I just quickly swap the original to the copied one. I would still not be comfortable thinking about that afterwards for being shady like (but at least it covers my...).

-Jay
"Fortune favours the bold"
SONY A7Rii | Fuji X-T3 | Canon T3i | Canon 85mm 1.2ii L | Canon 80-200MM 2.8 L | Canon 17-40mm 4 L | EF Rokinon 8mm Fisheye | XF 23mm 1.4 | XF 35mm 2 | XF Rokinon 12mm 2
Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Gears

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,235 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 25, 2014 15:10 |  #21

strykher1025 wrote in post #16994162 (external link)
Thank you guys for all your responses..

I still got some thinking to do on this for sure. My other addition would be is even if I delete the bad files on camera, since the client want the orignal SD card --- they may still have a way of restoring those deleted files. Unless we come to an agreement of copying the card for porfolio reason, and I just quickly swap the original to the copied one. I would still not be comfortable thinking about that afterwards for being shady like (but at least it covers my...).

Have they said why they want this, rather than copying the files to a disk or some other solution? I'm curious about their end goal here. Ordinarily I would think that they have some agenda that might be based in a misunderstanding of the process.

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 26, 2014 10:17 |  #22

[QUOTE=JimmyM;16993046​]

djphotosyd wrote in post #16992451 (external link)
It's like asking the baker to hand over the raw ingredients so they can make their own wedding cake. THEY want to employ a professional to do the work then expect him or her to cave in and hand over not just the files but the cards as well. Hmmmmm suppose they will EXPECT they own the copy right too!

This is exactly what we did for our wedding. Had a local bakery bake and crumb-coat our cake and then mom decorated it. In her prime mom was head and shoulders above the competition and even at 70 is still pretty skilled.

They can suppose and expect all they want, that's why you have terms and conditions attached. To simply say no without looking at the big picture is, at best, short-sighted.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 26, 2014 11:43 |  #23

Just a thought. Some have compared this to handing over the negatives. However, from my understanding this is more like handing over the undeveloped rolls of film. No chance for copies, no chance to have any post influence. At least with handing over negatives, you got to screen and have the influence of development on the process. I would say that a Raw file with no processing is more like an undeveloped roll than a developed negative.

Anybody with film experience ever hand over the rolls straight from the camera?

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,235 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 26, 2014 12:31 |  #24

MattPharmD wrote in post #16995797 (external link)
Just a thought. Some have compared this to handing over the negatives. However, from my understanding this is more like handing over the undeveloped rolls of film. No chance for copies, no chance to have any post influence. At least with handing over negatives, you got to screen and have the influence of development on the process. I would say that a Raw file with no processing is more like an undeveloped roll than a developed negative.

Anybody with film experience ever hand over the rolls straight from the camera?

Yes. I used to do that. I did bargain weddings for people I knew. I would shoot film and hand them the roll at the end of the wedding with a recommendation for a local lab. There was an understanding that my liability ended if they took it to any other lab. Most took it to the pro lab I suggested but a few others had connections at other labs and went that route. I never had a problem. But its tough to make any comparison to digital because its not really quite the same. While the lab could make custom and color corrected prints, the bulk of prints were non custom machine work and more akin to .jgp if you need a comparison. And as for keeping copyright, I had no intersest in keeping the negs and having a print ordering service and I didnt care about having prints for promotional purposes. These were low end weddings in often mediocre venues.

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 26, 2014 13:27 |  #25

I want to add a comment from different end of the spectrum. I have a project coming up where I want to hire a videographer for 1/2 day and keep all raw footage. I would be there with the person and at the end would take my CF cards. I would disclose this information upfront and know that there will be a ton of interested people. It seems that there are tons of videographers on CL in my metro area. I've dealt with some in the past and was surprised about the amount of talent thats on CL.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

WMS
"Escargot on the Hoof"
2,884 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Location: California, the land of the politicaly corrupt and innept

Jun 26, 2014 15:07 |  #26

Do you know why your client wants the memory cards?

I'm just a simple maker of love charms and tokens,who occasionally takes a picture or two.
Gear list: more toys than I need, Fewer than I want.

KeenanRIVALS
453 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 26, 2014 16:28 |  #27

I showed someone the before & afters before, which is essentially the same as handing over the SD card and I'll never do that again, when they compared pictures they started to dictate certain edits, like "can you keep this style but make this more like this" each picture had a new critique or suggestions which ended up in a lot more work for what they would have naturally just loved.

KeenanRIVALS.com (external link) | Daily Street Photography Vlog's (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 26, 2014 16:58 |  #28

JimmyM wrote in post #16992278 (external link)
Seriously? I think you are mad considering it. Never hand over Raw files!

If they sign a contract, why not?

They must agree not to inform anyone who took the images since I would lose creative control over them. So no mentioning me ever, period. $250,000 if they break that one.

Then I can shoot the wedding for oh $50,000.

Sure I'd do it. There is a price for everything.

Gear List

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,143 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jun 27, 2014 04:53 |  #29

strykher1025 wrote in post #16994162 (external link)
My other addition would be is even if I delete the bad files on camera, since the client want the orignal SD card --- they may still have a way of restoring those deleted files.

plus any shots from previous sessions unless the card was brand new...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,929 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 27, 2014 07:10 as a reply to  @ joeseph's post |  #30

If the client wants the cards, you can bet your a$$ they have a computer with an editing program. Get it right in camera, let him edit, and as far as copyright metadata, my camera is set to apply for every image. Its always says@ Copyright by unique moments photography.

My Question to the client is How much are you going to pay ??

Make it profitable, no editing, shoot and burn and put the cash in the bank.....saweeeetbw!..........whats the problem ??

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

29,265 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shoot & Burn : Wedding Clients wants to keep SD cards after the event
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.