Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 Jun 2014 (Monday) 16:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Digital Photo Professional 4.0

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,994 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 26, 2014 05:32 |  #91

apersson850 wrote in post #16995143 (external link)
You don't have to select one program out of two, since the older DPP supports cameras like the 1DX too, just with somewhat different functionality.

You will as new cameras come out, they will only be supported in the new version, if their raw format changes.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
nubu
122 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 26, 2014 05:38 |  #92

For me, as long time user of the classic dpp most changes are improvements and overall the performance esp. with the dlp modules. Two changes are not positive from my point of view:
- I really liked the old quick separate crop and rotation tool. It was much faster when working with many pics one after the other.
- Maybe connected to the loss of a separate crop and rotation tool crop and rotation is now also part of a recipe when copied from one pic to another. Meaning that if your pic contains cropping info this is copied to another pic when coping the correction recipe! Before this was separated - which was much more flexible. Normally cropping is something very individual for a pic and not something like a whitebalance or noise reduction setting which typically applies to a sequence of pics...

PS: ... I had one crash so far with about 1000 pics developed from my 5D3.

5DII/III,7D,m
EF14/2.8LII|EF24/1.4LI​I|EF35/1.4L|S35/1.4A|EF40/2.8|S50/1.4A|MPE6​5/2.8|EF85/1.2L|EF100/​2.8LIS|EF135/2L|EF300/​2.8LIS|EF500/4LIS|Zeis​s500/8|EF1.4xIII|EF2xI​II|EF8-15/4L|EF24-105/4LIS|EF70-200/2.8LISII

apersson850
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,275 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 26, 2014 05:54 |  #93

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16995213 (external link)
You will as new cameras come out, they will only be supported in the new version, if their raw format changes.

That may be true, but most of the complaints right now are about the new program not supporting the older cameras. But since the old program supports all current cameras, the issue you describe doesn't exist, not yet.

It may very well come.

Anders

Maxdave
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 26, 2014 06:10 |  #94

nubu wrote in post #16995219 (external link)
For me, as long time user of the classic dpp most changes are improvements and overall the performance esp. with the dlp modules. Two changes are not positive from my point of view:
- I really liked the old quick separate crop and rotation tool. It was much faster when working with many pics one after the other.
- Maybe connected to the loss of a separate crop and rotation tool crop and rotation is now also part of a recipe when copied from one pic to another. Meaning that if your pic contains cropping info this is copied to another pic when coping the correction recipe! Before this was separated - which was much more flexible. Normally cropping is something very individual for a pic and not something like a whitebalance or noise reduction setting which typically applies to a sequence of pics...

PS: ... I had one crash so far with about 1000 pics developed from my 5D3.

Also a long time DPP user, and I agree that recipes were best NOT to include rotation/crop changes.
I have both versions installed, but for me, I am using the "old" one until I am forced off it.

Maxdave

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,376 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 26, 2014 06:32 |  #95

Nigi wrote in post #16990945 (external link)
It is so simple - Adobe makes money by selling new software, Canon makes money by selling new cameras.
Everyone looks after own business milking cows in the process.

It seems to me that there are two reasons this is happening the way it is. Firstly, there's a Canon V Nikon V (an ever improving) Sony battle going on. They want their best cameras to be the best sellers, and most importantly, they don't want customers to switch loyalty. We all know that right across the board, from the D3300 Up (the entry level Nikon) that on Specs alone (24MP, 11 AF points, Built in Wifi etc) Nikon trumps Canon hands down. Even Sony's new line up has 24 MP sensors. On the other hand, Nikon Has always suffered from reliability and service issues. I'm only a canon user because I dropped upon a mint EOS 600D body for £180.00 18 mths ago. If I'd've had the cash to buy new then, on specs alone it would've been the D3200 or 5200 (what I wanted because of 39 AF points but wouldn't have been able to afford), no contest. Two friends have Nikon set ups and are happy. I don't know what the DSLR % split is Canon V Nikon is, but I'd like to know. I think Nikon are ahead, but don't quote me. Secondly, in DSLR photography, there has always been those for who the 'Money is no object' motto is true. They have the best FF bodies, the best glass, the top of the rage accessories and the best SUV's to carry all that weight around in. A rebel or entry level DSLR is not an option for them, even as a back up. Canon has it's L glass (does Nikon have an equivalent? I know Sony has the Zeiss lenses) and many of the owners have glass with a value of over £/$30k. Look at how many folks post in the 5D3 and 1DX threads. I'm not having a go at you, I'm just stating that you exist, and that because you can afford it you go out and buy it, after all, you've worked darned hard to be able to afford to do it. This is the type of customer Canon seems to want. By aimig this new version of DPP at the full frame owners, Canon seems to be doing something for them. They don't seem interested in bringing out new FF bodies, yet they need to be doing something to let the owners of the existing FF bodies know they've not been forgotten. Hence the crumbs off the table to keep them intersted enough to stop them migrating to Nikon who have just released the D4S.
An aquaintance told me an intersting story about an Aussie Church praying for a flood of revival (new believers), and when it happened it split the church. They didn't get the Middle Aged Business men the members wanted, but got loads of young teenage hippies coming to God. Half the church left for another church. What has this got do do with this thread? Well, the young hippies are like the Rebel Buyers. Canon doesn't really want them,even though they sell more Rebels than XXD/XD cameras. They want people to buy full frame bodies with tons of L glass to go with it. And Canon speedlites instead of cheap Yongnuo units etc, etc, etc. Now what happened to those young hippies who found God? 20-30 years later they had become....... you've guessed it, middle aged businessmen. To transpose this to Canon talk (and we know it's true), all those Rebel buyers will at some point upgrade to an XXD body, and if they can afford it at some point,then buy a FF body with L glass down the line. We all wish we had better gear, but being in a position to afford it is another matter. In designing this upgrade for the newest FF bodies only, Canon is speaking volumes to XXD and Rebel owners about how valued their custom really is. They need show some regard for all those Canon users who can't afford the latest FF bodies. If you've just bought a Rebel and kit lens, ad own no other lenses or accessories, then with prices of bodies as low as they are, it's tempting for some to switch loyalty. Alas for me, I have too much kit to be able to do this. I'm sure Canon realise this, but how much longer will they survive trading on goodwill? If I saw a D3200 or 3300 going really cheap I'll probably be tempted to buy it and dip my toes in the other camp. Who kows what might happen?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,994 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 26, 2014 06:39 |  #96

apersson850 wrote in post #16995239 (external link)
That may be true, but most of the complaints right now are about the new program not supporting the older cameras. But since the old program supports all current cameras, the issue you describe doesn't exist, not yet.

It may very well come.

I would count on it, especially with the next release. Canon's raw format has changed several times over the year, whether they just added some new raw tags, or whatever. If the rumors have any kind of truth to them at all, undoubtedly the raw will contain new information for DPP to chew on. If they do, they probably should change the file extension to .CR3, so that you can at least tell your OS to bring up the new DPP for those raws vs old CR2 raws. This would help at least Windows users to be very indifferent to the changes, they double-click a CR2 and get DPP 3.14, they double-click .CR3 and get DPP 4.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,521 posts
Gallery: 692 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 26, 2014 08:28 |  #97

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #16994788 (external link)
Is that a Freudian slip... of the finger?

just a typo :o;)

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Blue Jimny Madeira (external link)

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,521 posts
Gallery: 692 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 26, 2014 08:33 |  #98

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16994838 (external link)
Really, Adobe? The company that forces you to constantly pay to upgrade to newer versions to support your newer camera?

The thing is that newer cameras are not supported in the lastest DPP version:

1200D, 100D, 700D, 70D...

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Blue Jimny Madeira (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,994 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 26, 2014 09:16 |  #99

Azathoth wrote in post #16995439 (external link)
The thing is that newer cameras are not supported in the lastest DPP version:

1200D, 100D, 700D, 70D...

And newer cameras in the future won't be supported by whatever version LR you have now either. The difference being that Adobe will force an additional $50-100 from you to upgrade to their version that does support that camera.

Those cameras are supported in the 3.14 version, so you do indeed have support. As it stands right now, there is no compelling reason to even use DPP 4. Nothing requires you to use it, today. You don't need to go to the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out. I know that is hard to understand though. :)

As new models come out and you buy them, then you will be forced to use DPP4.

The big issue this really brings for me is that I now need to archive off the DPP 3.14 full installation along with my photos, because the only way I can edit the raw files in the future, say 5 years, is to use DPP 3.14. The bigger issue past that even is whether future OSes in 10 years will even run DPP 3.14, and whether Canon will keep patching it to keep up with OS changes. If not, people with old model raw files won't have a way to edit them at all in the future. That is the biggest risk I see with this move.

apersson850
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,275 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 26, 2014 15:02 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #100

I can flip the issue over and say that I don't own any computer that can run DPP 4.0... :(

Anders

shutterbug ­ guy
205 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 26, 2014 15:17 |  #101

Colin Glover wrote in post #16995274 (external link)
It seems to me that there are two reasons this is happening the way it is. Firstly, there's a Canon V Nikon V (an ever improving) Sony battle going on. They want their best cameras to be the best sellers, and most importantly, they don't want customers to switch loyalty. We all know that right across the board, from the D3300 Up (the entry level Nikon) that on Specs alone (24MP, 11 AF points, Built in Wifi etc) Nikon trumps Canon hands down. Even Sony's new line up has 24 MP sensors. On the other hand, Nikon Has always suffered from reliability and service issues. I'm only a canon user because I dropped upon a mint EOS 600D body for £180.00 18 mths ago. If I'd've had the cash to buy new then, on specs alone it would've been the D3200 or 5200 (what I wanted because of 39 AF points but wouldn't have been able to afford), no contest. Two friends have Nikon set ups and are happy. I don't know what the DSLR % split is Canon V Nikon is, but I'd like to know. I think Nikon are ahead, but don't quote me. Secondly, in DSLR photography, there has always been those for who the 'Money is no object' motto is true. They have the best FF bodies, the best glass, the top of the rage accessories and the best SUV's to carry all that weight around in. A rebel or entry level DSLR is not an option for them, even as a back up. Canon has it's L glass (does Nikon have an equivalent? I know Sony has the Zeiss lenses) and many of the owners have glass with a value of over £/$30k. Look at how many folks post in the 5D3 and 1DX threads. I'm not having a go at you, I'm just stating that you exist, and that because you can afford it you go out and buy it, after all, you've worked darned hard to be able to afford to do it. This is the type of customer Canon seems to want. By aimig this new version of DPP at the full frame owners, Canon seems to be doing something for them. They don't seem interested in bringing out new FF bodies, yet they need to be doing something to let the owners of the existing FF bodies know they've not been forgotten. Hence the crumbs off the table to keep them intersted enough to stop them migrating to Nikon who have just released the D4S.
An aquaintance told me an intersting story about an Aussie Church praying for a flood of revival (new believers), and when it happened it split the church. They didn't get the Middle Aged Business men the members wanted, but got loads of young teenage hippies coming to God. Half the church left for another church. What has this got do do with this thread? Well, the young hippies are like the Rebel Buyers. Canon doesn't really want them,even though they sell more Rebels than XXD/XD cameras. They want people to buy full frame bodies with tons of L glass to go with it. And Canon speedlites instead of cheap Yongnuo units etc, etc, etc. Now what happened to those young hippies who found God? 20-30 years later they had become....... you've guessed it, middle aged businessmen. To transpose this to Canon talk (and we know it's true), all those Rebel buyers will at some point upgrade to an XXD body, and if they can afford it at some point,then buy a FF body with L glass down the line. We all wish we had better gear, but being in a position to afford it is another matter. In designing this upgrade for the newest FF bodies only, Canon is speaking volumes to XXD and Rebel owners about how valued their custom really is. They need show some regard for all those Canon users who can't afford the latest FF bodies. If you've just bought a Rebel and kit lens, ad own no other lenses or accessories, then with prices of bodies as low as they are, it's tempting for some to switch loyalty. Alas for me, I have too much kit to be able to do this. I'm sure Canon realise this, but how much longer will they survive trading on goodwill? If I saw a D3200 or 3300 going really cheap I'll probably be tempted to buy it and dip my toes in the other camp. Who kows what might happen?

That's a lot of words for just two paragraphs, dang....

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,376 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 26, 2014 15:21 |  #102

shutterbug guy wrote in post #16996150 (external link)
That's a lot of words for just two paragraphs, dang....

I completely agree with you. I'm a very wordy guy! :lol:

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 26, 2014 15:53 |  #103
bannedPermanent ban

apersson850 wrote in post #16996118 (external link)
I can flip the issue over and say that I don't own any computer that can run DPP 4.0... :(

Then you wouldn't be able to run Windows 8.1, either. How dare you? Where do you get off not giving Canon AND Microsoft AND Intel their due? :)

On the lighter side, yesterday, I was really surprised to see Creative Labs still updating firmware for a product I bought when Windows 98 was still kicking. Luckily, I still have a Windows 7 64-bit machine hanging around to run it on.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,994 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 26, 2014 16:36 |  #104

apersson850 wrote in post #16996118 (external link)

That is easier to remedy that to have 25 years of canon raw files, and wanting to convert then to jpgs, because you had a death in the family and want to have a slide show at the viewing, but you have no computer that can run dpp 3.14. :(

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 26, 2014 16:48 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #105

I don't think incompatibility with older files will be as important in the future as it has been in the past. I don't have a single program that is stored on a medium I can access (comp still has a disk drive) that I can't make run on windows 7. Also, I think that companies are being more conscious of not leaving us out to dry with old files (MS Office is a good example with doc and docx).

That being said, this line of thought does make me wonder about converting all my CR2s to DNG or something. It also is the impetus I have for making sure all of my really good shots get into JPG somewhere.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

sponsored links

40,275 views & 0 likes for this thread
Digital Photo Professional 4.0
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.