Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 26 Jun 2014 (Thursday) 05:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CAMERA GEAR STOLEN ON TRIP TO PARIS – WARNING !!!!

patrol50
THREAD ­ STARTER
416 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 27, 2014 05:20 |  #16

Jahled wrote in post #16997128 (external link)
Yes we have some crime in Europe, like everybody else does, is this a shock to you?

good on you james good to see a voice of concern for the low life and yes everywhere has some crime for sure but allegedly gay pariee has perhaps bit more than "some crime" pal - nos being banded about by very knowledgeable people that live there (who cant be quoted due to there roles ) suggest tourist nos robbed could be anything from an alleged 25K to 50K tourists per year or even more possibly even 100 K - so i guess that is as you say"some crime" !!!!!!
cheers rob

C:- 7D Mk11 ; 7Dc ; 600D & SX10 IS / L:- EFS 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM ; 55-250 f4-5.6 IS 11; 18 -200 f3.5-5.6 IS ; & EF 16- 35 f4 L IS USM , 24-105 f4 L IS USM; 70-200 f4 L IS USM; 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS 1 USM (V1 and V11); + C 1.4 Ext Mk3 & Tam 150 - 600 f5-6.3 DI VC USD.

sponsored links
Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 27, 2014 05:33 |  #17

patrol50 wrote in post #16997203 (external link)
good on you james good to see a voice of concern for the low life

What?

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 27, 2014 06:06 |  #18

Jahled wrote in post #16997128 (external link)
Yes we have some crime in Europe, like everybody else does, is this a shock to you?

I am from NYC and we get millions of tourists each year. Our tourists dont get car jacked several times a day. You will not see a police station full of tourists who were robbed. We dont have gypsy pickpockets.

PS. Bad neighborhood & camera just reminded me of Charles Bronson in one of the Deathwish movies. He was walking around the neighborhood with a SLR hanging off his shoulder and trying to get someone's attention. Once some guy did try to steal it he got what he deserved instead.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 27, 2014 06:30 |  #19

I'm sorry for your loss, but situational awareness is not quite the same as paranoia.

Most equipment theft seems to be urban-based, and there are some cities with long-standing problems ~ think Port Harcourt (Nigeria) , Kigali (Rwanda), Jakarta (Indonesia), or the NE banlieues of Paris. In some areas, the problems are dynamic; they come and go. Notting Hill and the Bronx seem much safer than they were 20 years ago.

There will be circumstances where you're gonna get robbed, no matter what. But most grabs are opportunistic. And this is where common sense and local knowledge can mitigate the problem. In any strange city, it's worth checking your hotel reception or a friendly local to establish what areas can be problematical. You might also want to be discrete in flashing expensive kit in dodgy areas. Anonymous bags are a useful precaution, too.

In 20 years on the road, I got robbed just once - and that was at a Serbian checkpoint in Banja Luka. You don't argue with AK47s with taped magazines. But my Omega Seamaster was under the Landrover seat; they took the cheap substitute Casio I'd quickly bolted to my wrist. Curiously, they ignored the professional camera kit - an Ikegami, Angenioeux lens, mics and mini-mixers are not readily resellable.

Common sense will see you through 97% of foreign travel; relax and enjoy the experience. If bad things happen, they can happen anywhere.

~ Wallace
Gear List

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 27, 2014 06:40 |  #20

dkizzle wrote in post #16997229 (external link)
I am from NYC and we get millions of tourists each year. Our tourists dont get car jacked several times a day. You will not see a police station full of tourists who were robbed. We dont have gypsy pickpockets.

PS. Bad neighborhood & camera just reminded me of Charles Bronson in one of the Deathwish movies. He was walking around the neighborhood with a SLR hanging off his shoulder and trying to get someone's attention. Once some guy did try to steal it he got what he deserved instead.

Nor do ours, or most places in Europe, hence why I made the point of pointing this out.

Can't comment on Roma pickpockets, we have a few in London, but nothing remotely akin to a problem.

The bottom line is whilst being car jacked must be a highly unpleasant experience, a thread such as this pointing at Europe with a tone of panic and hysteria is bull****. If I was a stranger (tourist) in an unfamiliar envirnment the odds are I would be more likely to be a victim of crime anywhere in the world because i'm less likely to know the score. And the odds are it could happen anywhere in the world, so expect the next thread like this to issue the same warning about someone's experience of crime from Los Angeles, with a broadly sweeping generalisation about the Americas.

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

patrol50
THREAD ­ STARTER
416 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 27, 2014 07:12 |  #21

interesting word "hysteria" has different meanings for different folks but always a good option to use when you want to discredit a opponent so a clever option to create some negative emotion to the original thread - cant remember suggesting the Uk or London was a problem although i believe dover and places on that UK coastal area may have a concern due to illegal immigration from europe - but it is a problem in paris pal no doubt about that and in other major european cities

if this post saves one other person from enjoying the experience of being car jacked and / or robbed of all their possessions etc as i recently have had the pleasure of then it will have done its job

hang in their pal and keep it coming - the more you post the more people that read it to get that 1000 viewers - and they will come to their own conclusions !!!!!!!!!!!!
cheers rob

C:- 7D Mk11 ; 7Dc ; 600D & SX10 IS / L:- EFS 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM ; 55-250 f4-5.6 IS 11; 18 -200 f3.5-5.6 IS ; & EF 16- 35 f4 L IS USM , 24-105 f4 L IS USM; 70-200 f4 L IS USM; 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS 1 USM (V1 and V11); + C 1.4 Ext Mk3 & Tam 150 - 600 f5-6.3 DI VC USD.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 27, 2014 07:17 |  #22

I have traveled a lot in the US, and once one of my sons left the camera bag under a table where we had lunch. A nice couple left it at lost and found. I was so grateful. I learned my lesson and don't take everything with me anymore. Sad, but going to Paris and not getting beautiful pictures is a crime itself. Hope you can replace the gear.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

patrol50
THREAD ­ STARTER
416 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 27, 2014 07:26 |  #23

SuzyView wrote in post #16997314 (external link)
I have traveled a lot in the US, and once one of my sons left the camera bag under a table where we had lunch. A nice couple left it at lost and found. I was so grateful. I learned my lesson and don't take everything with me anymore. Sad, but going to Paris and not getting beautiful pictures is a crime itself. Hope you can replace the gear.

thank you, kind words - the gear is replaceable - the experience be it good or bad unfortunately will always remain as it is !

my best rob

PH68
599 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 27, 2014 07:29 |  #24

Most people drive around busy cities with all their car doors (and sometimes the boot/trunk as well) UNLOCKED.
Car doors are lockable, some even automatically lock nowadays.
I've always locked mine when around towns & cities.
I don't always bother on the open road though.

Fuji XE1 ~ XF18 ~ XF27 ~ XF60 ~ XC50-230

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 27, 2014 08:02 |  #25

Crime in France is indeed out of control - esp. theft and car jackings. We used to own a house in the South of France. Within 5 years it was broken into THREE times while we were SLEEPING at night. The local police never really did anything about these robberies. Every single house in that small village had been broken into at least once. Romas are a huge part of the problem - it might politically incorrect to say this but it is true.

Both in Paris and in Rome Gypsies tried to steal my wallet - I caught them both times in the act. Of course they make a huge fuzz and accuse you of trying to hurt them.

For those claiming that this type of crime exists everywhere - that is just not true - at least not to that extend. Of course we have pick pockets too but Paris, Rome and Barcelona are all out of control.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 27, 2014 08:07 |  #26

I know traveling we have to be wise to our surroundings. No hiding place is sacred, I heard, to put your money and wallet.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 27, 2014 08:17 |  #27

Were they in masks?

Gearlist

RevvdImages
106 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 27, 2014 08:18 |  #28

scriveyn wrote in post #16995694 (external link)
The only time I had photogear stolen from me was in Paris, many years ago.

I had my bag standing by my side in the museum shop of the Centre Pompidou, browsing some books. By my own fault the bag's zip wasn't closed. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the guy with his hand thrust deep in my bag and grabbed his wrist. - Checked my bag and found a 50mm/f1.4 lens gone. - The personnel at the shop refused to call the police!

I checked the camera shops in the neighbourhood, whether someone had tried to sell it - no luck. Went to the police, went through the motions, useless of course.

Instances like this is part of the reason my newest camera bag / backpack is a Lowepro Flipside. I like the idea of having the access the the important gear being on the back side of the pack (that is against your back), so you can't inadvertently have some sneaky pick-pockets going through your gear while walking around in a foreign country. Worst case, they'll get their hands on some cheap cleaning products and rechargeable AA batteries since that is all I keep on the front side of the bag (when wearing it at least).

7D / Canon 15-85mm / Canon 70-300mm USM / Canon 50mm 1.8 II / Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro / 430EX II / Macro LED Flash Ring / Rode VideoMic Pro / Zoom H1
Flickr (external link)
My Youtube Comedy Channel (external link)

patrol50
THREAD ­ STARTER
416 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 27, 2014 15:22 |  #29

kenwood33 wrote in post #16997412 (external link)
Were they in masks?

they were all wearing the good ole hoodies in non descript colours with almost certainly running sneakers on their feet - 2 of them in and out of the car in a very short time - total of 3 of them in staggered formation about 10 to 20 meters apart - with the biggest the rear guard man there to be the enforcer and threatener to stop you from giving chase i guess !!

at no time have i suggested that this is happening all over the place and the french country areas appear to have very few problems obvious but they may still be there but it is constantly happening in and around paris and other specific cities in europe - and the travelling tourist are the main target so if you visit there one needs to be very aware of the increased risks of robbery and muggings - so take genuine precautions to protect your valuables and your travel docs - cant go far with out a passport and or money or credit cards
cheers rob

patrol50
THREAD ­ STARTER
416 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 27, 2014 15:25 |  #30

[QUOTE=dkizzle;1699722​9]

YES AGREE been to USA and NY with no real problems - but this is exactly what is happening in paris and a few other cities in europe and allege the local french cops pay lip service to your complaints ( usually dont speak english anyway ) but really dont do anything and probably dont really want to know so no real help there - ultimately its wise to be a very wary and well prepared traveller in and around these places and so thats the reason for this thread is to let at least some others know to be that - will admit i was not quite as ready or as prepared as i could or should have been - so my mistake at my cost !!!!!!!!!!!
cheers rob

sponsored links

18,017 views & 0 likes for this thread
CAMERA GEAR STOLEN ON TRIP TO PARIS – WARNING !!!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.