Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Jun 2014 (Tuesday) 16:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shoot & Burn : Wedding Clients wants to keep SD cards after the event

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 27, 2014 07:14 |  #31

I never give my clients the cards, mainly because I am completely insecure and copy the original images to a hard drive, maybe 2 hard drives before I even edit a single picture. I've lost data on corrupt cards before and not doing that again. If they want all the pictures, which I have done before, I just make them a DVD. It's their right if they pay for it. But to give them the original on the CF/SD card, is asking for trouble, especially if they don't know what they are doing. You can easily take your computer with you and burn them a DVD.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

sponsored links
MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 27, 2014 08:21 |  #32

SuzyView wrote in post #16997303 (external link)
I never give my clients the cards, mainly because I am completely insecure and copy the original images to a hard drive, maybe 2 hard drives before I even edit a single picture. I've lost data on corrupt cards before and not doing that again. If they want all the pictures, which I have done before, I just make them a DVD. It's their right if they pay for it. But to give them the original on the CF/SD card, is asking for trouble, especially if they don't know what they are doing. You can easily take your computer with you and burn them a DVD.

I think the idea here is to note in the contract that once you have given them the SD cards, you aren't responsible for the images anymore. That makes it their responsibility to make sure that they don't loose the images, not yours.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 27, 2014 08:34 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

nathancarter wrote in post #16993495 (external link)
Charge the same amount (or more, to transfer copyright), and don't have to do hours upon hours of culling and post-processing? Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

That's what I see here. Less work for the same or possibly more money. Where's the beef?

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 27, 2014 08:51 |  #34

Hogloff wrote in post #16997444 (external link)
That's what I see here. Less work for the same or possibly more money. Where's the beef?

The beef is my raws make me look incompetent.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 27, 2014 09:03 |  #35

Are they asking for the RAW files because they saw a "List of things to ask your wedding photographer" on knot.com. Or are they asking because they are an Amateur photographer and want to edit their own images.

When my friend got married, his cousin, who is a wedding photographer, shot some shots, but they hired another pro (husband and wife team) to shoot the ceremony and reception and just got the RAW files after the wedding. (They got the RAW files on a harddrive, not the SD/CF cards)

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 27, 2014 13:23 |  #36

RAW files do look terrible without editing. I have a friend who paid a newbie pro to shoot her daughter's wedding, and she asked for all the images up front. The pro said she would, but then refused. It was a long fight. I can see why someone would want all the images that day. I would probably not mind this if the client promised the images would not be published without my consent, but that seems tricky.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 27, 2014 20:07 |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

As confident as I am in my ability to shoot without needing to post process the hell out of each image for 2 hours a piece.. I think this still sounds incredibly risky.

Mostly because..
What if they lose the card after they take it from you? There'd be no backups, likely, if they just took it at the end of the event.

Then what?

I have no problems giving over the RAWs if asked..because I just care about making sure the client is happy. I really don't care about anything else, or what my "peers" think of it.. and yet..I'd probably back them up first, just in case.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 27, 2014 21:43 |  #38

I wouldn't accept that client for $5000.

Walk away from this, OP. You're setting yourself up for disaster.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

JimmyM
29 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 28, 2014 03:45 |  #39

mclaren777 wrote in post #16998728 (external link)

^ +1 ^

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jimmbob/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om …ography?ref_typ​e=bookmark (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 28, 2014 03:55 |  #40

mclaren777 wrote in post #16998728 (external link)

I'm still yet to see what this massive disaster is exactly. $5000 for a day's work... if that is a disaster I hope I have one... in fact I hope I have several.

Peter

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 28, 2014 08:29 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

Karl Johnston wrote in post #16998619 (external link)
As confident as I am in my ability to shoot without needing to post process the hell out of each image for 2 hours a piece.. I think this still sounds incredibly risky.

Mostly because..
What if they lose the card after they take it from you? There'd be no backups, likely, if they just took it at the end of the event.

Then what?

I have no problems giving over the RAWs if asked..because I just care about making sure the client is happy. I really don't care about anything else, or what my "peers" think of it.. and yet..I'd probably back them up first, just in case.

I'm sure they would be ok if you brought them a disk with the raws the next day rather than handing over the cards the day of the wedding.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 28, 2014 08:31 |  #42
bannedPermanent ban

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16999013 (external link)
I'm still yet to see what this massive disaster is exactly. $5000 for a day's work... if that is a disaster I hope I have one... in fact I hope I have several.

Yes exactly. I don't see a disaster at all. I see saving a bunch of post work.

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 28, 2014 10:30 |  #43

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16999013 (external link)
I'm still yet to see what this massive disaster is exactly.

If a client doesn't respect the tail end of your creative process (editing), I think it's reasonable to assume that they won't respect the first half either (shooting).

I'm sure there will be people here on POTN who are comfortable with this situation, but the OP doesn't strike me as one of those members.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 28, 2014 10:35 |  #44

mclaren777 wrote in post #16999432 (external link)
If a client doesn't respect the tail end of your creative process (editing), I think it's reasonable to assume that they won't respect the first half either (shooting).

"Respect" or perhaps simply just not requiring it. They could very easily just be wanting someone with a good eye and someone who gets compositions / moments the way they like them. If the pay is good FTW.

Peter

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 28, 2014 10:39 |  #45

That's possible. And again, you might jump at this opportunity, but I think it sounds like a recipe for disaster.

If you don't mind me asking, strykher1025, how much will they be paying you for this wedding?

sponsored links

32,389 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shoot & Burn : Wedding Clients wants to keep SD cards after the event
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.