Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 20:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Quadcopter Drone Wifi Camera

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
9,999 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 27, 2014 08:01 |  #106

it looks like in the UK the CAA only lets you go up to 400ft .and it must remain in sight.

there are lots on youtube showing far greater heights and range are these just breaking the rules or is there a way round this.
I quite fancy one of these but apart from common sense don't like the idea your so restricted.

Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

sponsored links
vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,923 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Jun 27, 2014 08:34 |  #107

samsen wrote in post #16994097 (external link)
Sorry Omar! I didn't noticed that.:o
Now I feel just the same as MDJAK said, only he has the DJI and I still try to get one! That is if only I could find a way to trick/confuse/convince​/overpersuade the wife for importance of DJI...;) Ohh got it, I am going to play "Life is too short" number...:)

Trust me you could never feel like him. Not sure that is possible for another human :lol:

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

vipergts831
43,923 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 27, 2014 08:37 |  #108

MDJAK wrote in post #16996718 (external link)
Contact info? I bought it from a legitimate USA retailer. The drone has a big fat serial number on it. It wouldn't be too tough to track it back to me, I assure you.

As to RC fields, there's one nearby. Drone radio frequency messes with theirs and they won't let you within a mile if they're flying. That's why I go when they aren't there and borrow their field.

But there's literally a million places to fly. There won't be any outright bans on them. Hey, even some states have reversed longstanding laws and are now allowing the carry of switchblades. Quite a few states have done that. I'd rather face a drone than a switchblade. :lol:

bw!

Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 27, 2014 09:33 |  #109

MDJAK wrote in post #16996718 (external link)
Contact info? I bought it from a legitimate USA retailer. The drone has a big fat serial number on it. It wouldn't be too tough to track it back to me, I assure you.

As to RC fields, there's one nearby. Drone radio frequency messes with theirs and they won't let you within a mile if they're flying. That's why I go when they aren't there and borrow their field.

But there's literally a million places to fly. There won't be any outright bans on them.

If you're an AMA member, your info on the aircraft is a requirement.

If you transmit video, you need to have your name, address and HAM call sign attached directly to your video transmitter. (unless you're using TBS 25mw 5.8 certified transmitter)

If your RC control is 2.4 there should be no problem, the IRCHA event has over 800 participants, each with multiple aircraft and no interference that I've heard of. If you have a Phantom FC40 or Phantom 2 Vision, your flight control will be 5.8, which puts your video on 2.4 and could interfere with others 2.4 flight control.

If you fly for hobby, you still need to adhere to FCC requirements for broadcast, you will only be regulated if you fly for compensation of any sort. The future regulation will be influenced by our actions today.

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 27, 2014 09:39 |  #110

GyRob wrote in post #16997383 (external link)
it looks like in the UK the CAA only lets you go up to 400ft .and it must remain in sight.

there are lots on youtube showing far greater heights and range are these just breaking the rules or is there a way round this.
I quite fancy one of these but apart from common sense don't like the idea your so restricted.

Rob.

The CAA has quite a few requirements, if you intend to fly commercially, the cost for the license is around 10,000. There is a small list of licensed companies that can currently fly. The company that dropped a Phantom on a marathon runners head was not licensed, I have not heard how it all turned out for him.

In the U.S., 400' is also the flight limit as full scale are required to stay above 500'. You can only fly a kite 400' too.

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
9,999 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 27, 2014 10:22 |  #111

TroyRaymond wrote in post #16997560 (external link)
The CAA has quite a few requirements, if you intend to fly commercially, the cost for the license is around 10,000. There is a small list of licensed companies that can currently fly. The company that dropped a Phantom on a marathon runners head was not licensed, I have not heard how it all turned out for him.

In the U.S., 400' is also the flight limit as full scale are required to stay above 500'. You can only fly a kite

Thanks I would only get one for a bit of fun not to make money .
Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 28, 2014 15:25 |  #112

GyRob wrote in post #16997383 (external link)
it looks like in the UK the CAA only lets you go up to 400ft .and it must remain in sight. there are lots on youtube showing far greater heights and range are these just breaking the rules or is there a way round this.

An extreme wide angle lens such as a goPro will make it appear much higher than it really is.

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
9,999 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 29, 2014 03:27 |  #113

TroyRaymond wrote in post #16999879 (external link)
An extreme wide angle lens such as a goPro will make it appear much higher than it really is.

yes I do know that ,there are people showing the height though on there screen far more than 400 ft.
lots on youtube show this ,it does look a lot of fun .

Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,720 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 29, 2014 18:06 |  #114

And anyone going above 400 feet, which is easy to do, is not smart. It can interfere with aircraft which can be as low as 500 feet. I regularly go up as high as 300.

This thing is fun.

vipergts831
43,923 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 30, 2014 10:20 |  #115

MDJAK wrote in post #17001896 (external link)
And anyone going above 400 feet, which is easy to do, is not smart. It can interfere with aircraft which can be as low as 500 feet. I regularly go up as high as 300.

This thing is fun.

We all know you cant get it up. Stop making these things up :p:lol:

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,720 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 30, 2014 10:44 |  #116

vipergts831 wrote in post #17003024 (external link)
We all know you cant get it up. Stop making these things up :p:lol:

There's always that little blue pill for guys like you. :lol:

samsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 30, 2014 19:56 |  #117

For all those (Me included) that can't wait to put hand on DJI phantom, a moment of consideration! And if you see that great great 4th of July deal, You may actually want to wait and think twice!

Parrot, the original major company behind the first versions of flying quadricopter drones, is back to seriously fight with DJI and what this means for consumer? Better price or feature and may be hopefully both.

Parrot Bebop is about to be release after a very long waiting time and seems this baby is coming with a lot of features.

- Lots of well trained, passionate engineers work into its production.

- It looks cool. Doubt DJI fans will love it on first sight but its definitely not a follower of DJI like many more competitors and surly a pioneer and a totally new look.

- Lots of safety features and ease of operation.

- Has most features included in the basic price out of box, that is internal memory 8GB flash), stability system, HD 14MP raw camera sensor that turns image into meaningful 2MP format processed footage, smart GPS, FPV and then most importantly, room to grow.

- Included HD camera at no extra cost, is in best location and angle (No shooting propeller or landing gears etc).

- Self shutting propeller, the moment they individually feel resistance of an object (You will pay a lot less for broken propeller replacement).

- WiFi on board.

- Indoor out door flyable with indoor guard.

- Needs no control to add the price, that is as long as you are already having an android, iphone, ipad, android tablet that with a free app, will turn into a First Person View (FPV) controller, and monitor, a lot more hi tech than conventional DJI controller and no additional cost. And if you don't own one of the above, doesn't matter, you probably are not reading this thread.

- Internal gimbal is via cropping of the wide angle 180 degree lens/sensor image, into smaller format that relies on a 3-axis motion sensor so saves on power, decrease the weight (Of a mechanical gimbal) and is said to be efficient to remove shake and jello effect. Will believe when I see that with my own eyes.

- Very stable to hoover and be controlled via more meaningful onboard autopilot controls. Even first time user, can look like pro on first flight! Out of box (Have to see it to believe).

- Then if you decide you need either your fingers control that older fashion joystick or your head and neck movement via worn glass/goggle, you have the option of buying "Skycontroller" that gives you a lot more than simple control unit. You will have the rang extended to 2 KM...(If you can believe). Well not a joke but then at 12 minute run time battery and probably max speed similar to other drones, i.e. ~ 35 mph, you do the math to see how far this baby can be controlled (That is if they are thinking of adding larger, longer range battery in future).

- Not sure if I am correct and don't blame Parrot if I am wrong, as this might be only a rumors or my wrong interpretation of features, but If I am correct, this baby might have a pre-flight route plane and flight navigation, so you just give the exact parameters of flight from point A to B and rest will be done at the time of flight, with out any man piloting.... Even if I am wrong and this is not what I have correctly understood from Parrot as a feature in this one, this would definitely be easily achievable and probably welcomed for future, just think of going on google map and telling the drone exactly where to go and when to start the filming and when to be back, ahead of time...(Only if someone could add a few radars to detect obstacles on the way for plan B; And this is totally my imagination).
But then back to real world, if you are getting interested and want to know more here are few links to the product and the last one is actually the email notification to you when the product appears on B&H's shelves and you can actually open your wallet and be the first kid in the block to flies Bobop, instead of garden/Sky variety DJI phantom.

Definitely worthy to have a look:

LINK (external link)to Official ad. Short version 720

LINK to Offical ad. Long version HD 1080 (external link)

LINK to third party review of pre-release. (external link)

LINK to CNET review (external link)

>> LINK << To detail spects / Pre Order ; Email notifying you when available (external link)

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

cicopo
Goldmember
3,455 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 30, 2014 21:18 |  #118

READ THE NEW FAA RULES. Goggles are now illegal (for the pilot) & so is flying beyond line of sight.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jun 30, 2014 21:46 |  #119

Stupid FAA.

samsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 02, 2014 19:13 |  #120

More bad news for flying DJI's

LINK (external link)

But then can FAA really stop viral epidemy of may I call PD "Personal Drones"

Watch this video that went viral on YT.

“Superman With a GoPro,”>> LINK to clip << (external link)

Really FAA????
You want to ban this?!

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

sponsored links

45,080 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quadcopter Drone Wifi Camera
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.