For all those (Me included) that can't wait to put hand on DJI phantom, a moment of consideration! And if you see that great great 4th of July deal, You may actually want to wait and think twice!
Parrot, the original major company behind the first versions of flying quadricopter drones, is back to seriously fight with DJI and what this means for consumer? Better price or feature and may be hopefully both.
Parrot Bebop is about to be release after a very long waiting time and seems this baby is coming with a lot of features.
- Lots of well trained, passionate engineers work into its production.
- It looks cool. Doubt DJI fans will love it on first sight but its definitely not a follower of DJI like many more competitors and surly a pioneer and a totally new look.
- Lots of safety features and ease of operation.
- Has most features included in the basic price out of box, that is internal memory 8GB flash), stability system, HD 14MP raw camera sensor that turns image into meaningful 2MP format processed footage, smart GPS, FPV and then most importantly, room to grow.
- Included HD camera at no extra cost, is in best location and angle (No shooting propeller or landing gears etc).
- Self shutting propeller, the moment they individually feel resistance of an object (You will pay a lot less for broken propeller replacement).
- WiFi on board.
- Indoor out door flyable with indoor guard.
- Needs no control to add the price, that is as long as you are already having an android, iphone, ipad, android tablet that with a free app, will turn into a First Person View (FPV) controller, and monitor, a lot more hi tech than conventional DJI controller and no additional cost. And if you don't own one of the above, doesn't matter, you probably are not reading this thread.
- Internal gimbal is via cropping of the wide angle 180 degree lens/sensor image, into smaller format that relies on a 3-axis motion sensor so saves on power, decrease the weight (Of a mechanical gimbal) and is said to be efficient to remove shake and jello effect. Will believe when I see that with my own eyes.
- Very stable to hoover and be controlled via more meaningful onboard autopilot controls. Even first time user, can look like pro on first flight! Out of box (Have to see it to believe).
- Then if you decide you need either your fingers control that older fashion joystick or your head and neck movement via worn glass/goggle, you have the option of buying "Skycontroller" that gives you a lot more than simple control unit. You will have the rang extended to 2 KM...(If you can believe). Well not a joke but then at 12 minute run time battery and probably max speed similar to other drones, i.e. ~ 35 mph, you do the math to see how far this baby can be controlled (That is if they are thinking of adding larger, longer range battery in future).
- Not sure if I am correct and don't blame Parrot if I am wrong, as this might be only a rumors or my wrong interpretation of features, but If I am correct, this baby might have a pre-flight route plane and flight navigation, so you just give the exact parameters of flight from point A to B and rest will be done at the time of flight, with out any man piloting.... Even if I am wrong and this is not what I have correctly understood from Parrot as a feature in this one, this would definitely be easily achievable and probably welcomed for future, just think of going on google map and telling the drone exactly where to go and when to start the filming and when to be back, ahead of time...(Only if someone could add a few radars to detect obstacles on the way for plan B; And this is totally my imagination).
But then back to real world, if you are getting interested and want to know more here are few links to the product and the last one is actually the email notification to you when the product appears on B&H's shelves and you can actually open your wallet and be the first kid in the block to flies Bobop, instead of garden/Sky variety DJI phantom.
Definitely worthy to have a look:
LINKto Official ad. Short version 720
LINK to Offical ad. Long version HD 1080
LINK to third party review of pre-release.
LINK to CNET review
>> LINK << To detail spects / Pre Order ; Email notifying you when available