Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 Jun 2014 (Wednesday) 10:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rapid Strap Question?

mamaof2
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2014

Jun 25, 2014 10:28 |  #1

I am looking at buying a rapid strap for my camera..I found this one but open to others..I know there are cheaper out there but I want to make sure it is a solid item as I am hanging an expensive item off of it :)

http://www.amazon.com …ywords=rapid+sl​ing+camera (external link)

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 25, 2014 10:43 |  #2

At a glance, it looks pretty good. Two thoughts off the top of my head:
- If that carabiner is chrome-plated base metal, it might be weak or brittle.
- Some other brands (such as SunSniper) have a metal-reinforced strap instead of just nylon webbing strap. This protects against slash-and-grab theft, where a robber cuts the strap and runs off with the camera, and it also gives some extra reinforcement against the strap simply wearing out.

I like my SunSniper, with the exception that I have to thread it on and off every time I want to switch from carry strap to tripod. Other brands like BlackRapid (and the one you linked) have a clip or a carabiner that can attach to the D-ring on a tripod baseplate.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 25, 2014 11:12 |  #3

nathancarter wrote in post #16993638 (external link)
At a glance, it looks pretty good. Two thoughts off the top of my head:
- If that carabiner is chrome-plated base metal, it might be weak or brittle.
- Some other brands (such as SunSniper) have a metal-reinforced strap instead of just nylon webbing strap. This protects against slash-and-grab theft, where a robber cuts the strap and runs off with the camera, and it also gives some extra reinforcement against the strap simply wearing out.

I like my SunSniper, with the exception that I have to thread it on and off every time I want to switch from carry strap to tripod. Other brands like BlackRapid (and the one you linked) have a clip or a carabiner that can attach to the D-ring on a tripod baseplate.

Good thoughts and thanks for replying..I will take a look at sunsniper.

I did look at blackrapid but not sure it is that much better for the price then the one I linked

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickr (external link)

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,304 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 27, 2014 18:22 |  #4

I wanted a sling too, so I bought a Peak Design Leash. I found that I prefer the CottonCarrier harness eventhough it is sweaty in the summer. I don't like the way the sling rides up on my neck. And I like the way the CottonCarrier has two independent straps on the camera. If one breaks, the camera isn't going to fall to the ground. Although I like the CC better than the PD Leash, I don't think I've found my ideal strap. I carry a 100-400 lens on a 60D.

flickr (external link)

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 27, 2014 19:02 |  #5

As an across the body alternative to a true sling strap, I love my Luma Cinch. The best part is being able to secure the camera to my body while I move around or pick up my daughter.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 29, 2014 12:40 |  #6

I've used this one for my gripped 7D which often has a 70-200 on it. It's been solid this whole time, through several hiking trips and plenty of other abuse. Even held up to a guy at Mardis Gras trying to make a grab for my camera.
www.amazon.com/dp/B00B​RMGQIA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_​pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UT​F8&colid=2LRNYCHYNMJM1​&coliid=I3LNAYVYBYG8EA (external link)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,357 posts
Gallery: 209 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 29, 2014 13:02 |  #7

Looks pretty good. I've also been looking for one... BR and Luma Cinch thus far. Can't tell in the pictures... does it screw on by hand, or do you need a tool?

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 29, 2014 13:48 |  #8

LV Moose wrote in post #17001386 (external link)
Looks pretty good. I've also been looking for one... BR and Luma Cinch thus far. Can't tell in the pictures... does it screw on by hand, or do you need a tool?

By hand. There's a plat and a rather large diameter thumb screw which also happens to be threaded so you can put your tripod plate on it without removing the strap.

LV ­ Moose
23,357 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 29, 2014 13:52 |  #9

kfreels wrote in post #17001471 (external link)
By hand. There's a plat and a rather large diameter thumb screw which also happens to be threaded so you can put your tripod plate on it without removing the strap.

Oh, cool. Thanks.

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

iowajim
518 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 29, 2014 21:01 |  #10

I have the Op/Tech and enjoy it. The plastic clip that connects the strap to the camera is of some concern, and they offer an optional Velcro strap to ensure it stays in place. I've not had any issue with the plastic clip, but considering the value of gear dangling from it, some additional precaution seems prudent. The Fotasy unit with a metal clip is intriguing. Maybe I'll upgrade my Op Tech with a metal latch.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 30, 2014 08:43 |  #11

Larry Johnson wrote in post #16998455 (external link)
I wanted a sling too, so I bought a Peak Design Leash. I found that I prefer the CottonCarrier harness eventhough it is sweaty in the summer. I don't like the way the sling rides up on my neck. And I like the way the CottonCarrier has two independent straps on the camera. If one breaks, the camera isn't going to fall to the ground. Although I like the CC better than the PD Leash, I don't think I've found my ideal strap. I carry a 100-400 lens on a 60D.

I love how thin that sling is! Wish the price was a little less..

Jessi
flickr (external link)

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 30, 2014 08:46 |  #12

MattPharmD wrote in post #16998511 (external link)
As an across the body alternative to a true sling strap, I love my Luma Cinch. The best part is being able to secure the camera to my body while I move around or pick up my daughter.

that also looks great but not wanting to spend $60 on a sling. :o

Jessi
flickr (external link)

LV ­ Moose
23,357 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 30, 2014 09:07 as a reply to  @ mamaof2's post |  #13

After spending hours reading reviews and looking at videos, I'm kinda leaning toward Cowboy Studios CP1 or the Carry Speed with the F-1 mounting plate. But I ain't done looking yet :). I'd like one that will attach to the camera as well as the tripod mount on bigger lenses. I don't like the idea of carrying a 5DIII + 150-600 zoom attached at only one point.

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 30, 2014 09:19 |  #14

MattPharmD wrote in post #16998511 (external link)

Glad to see someone has the luma cinch. been pondering one for hiking. I like the ability to tighten it up on the fly. Hiking with a gripped 7D and 70-200 with my sling does create an issue with the camera wanting to bounce around. My current solution is a carabiner attached to the ring by my plate that I connect to a ring on the chest of a vest. But I really hate the vest. It looks ridiculous. lol

The question is - with that stretchy material, will that kind of weight hold steady and close to the body while I'm climbing up a steep slope? Just curious if you've used it in this manner and how well it's performed.

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 30, 2014 09:57 |  #15

mamaof2 wrote in post #17002853 (external link)
that also looks great but not wanting to spend $60 on a sling. :o

Well worth it for something that comfortably carries more than $1000 worth of gear.

kfreels wrote in post #17002906 (external link)
Glad to see someone has the luma cinch. been pondering one for hiking. I like the ability to tighten it up on the fly. Hiking with a gripped 7D and 70-200 with my sling does create an issue with the camera wanting to bounce around. My current solution is a carabiner attached to the ring by my plate that I connect to a ring on the chest of a vest. But I really hate the vest. It looks ridiculous. lol

The question is - with that stretchy material, will that kind of weight hold steady and close to the body while I'm climbing up a steep slope? Just curious if you've used it in this manner and how well it's performed.

I find that the stretchy material that the pad is made out of doesn't really stretch enough to be significant. Granted my gripped T2i is quite a bit lighter, but even with the 70-200 I rented recently, it stayed tight when I needed it to. I just cinch it down and rotate the camera to my back, and it pretty much stays there. I do have the version 1 of the strap, but I have heard really good things about the new one, and they work pretty much the same. The only disadvantage is that it doesn't work great with a backpack on.

Peak design has also got a new kickstarter you might be interested in that gets you their new, pretty cool sling/strap and a Capture Pro as a reward.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

sponsored links

3,463 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rapid Strap Question?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.