Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Jun 2014 (Friday) 23:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which 70-200 2.8?

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jun 27, 2014 23:54 |  #1

Aside from color... :lol: Which one of these two would be the better purchase and why? *Main goal is shooting wide open in low light for indoor sports and dance recitals.

Canon 70-200 2.8 IS mk1

or

Tamron 70-200 2.8 di VC

A new Tamron seems to run around the same as a used mk1... unless I get lucky and hit upon one of those wondrous sales everyone talks about that I always miss... but my luck with non Canon lenses gives me a slight bias towards Canon lenses...

Yes I do WANT IS/VC so am not looking at non IS models and yes I need 2.8 as it I am specifically looking to use it indoors for sports and recitals. Since I am shooting on a 70D I am most likely to be shooting wide open in these situations in order to keep shutter speed up... so comments on it's low light AF performance would be helpful...

But after reading reviews I am not certain I am dialed in on the better option and was hoping someone could provide the info needed (I usually see it compared to the mk2 so wasn't sure how it stands compared to mk1)

*Note* I am purely a hobbyist and do not do this for cash so the mk2 Canon is out of the conversation unless I get lucky and find a used one for cheap as dirt :P

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

sponsored links
The1KrisRoB
52 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 28, 2014 03:28 |  #2

Have you looked at the Sigma?
I have their 70-200 f2.8 OS and couldn't be happier. Here in New Zealand it was the best value for money 70-200 I could find.

www.krisrob.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/KrisRobinsonPhotogr​aphy (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/krisrob/ (external link)
https://instagram.com/​krisrobdotcom (external link)

Mr ­ Luvpants
52 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 28, 2014 04:47 |  #3

I am in the same boat and have read not good reviews of the soggy.

Lexar
297 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 28, 2014 05:52 |  #4

I am in the same situation...

From all reviews I read its Canon MKII -> Tamron -> Canon MKI -> Sigma

But the Canon MKII and Tamron are very very close in image quality so hard to swallow the $800 price difference!!

Canon 70D | 15-85IS | Σ17-50/2.8 | Σ30/1.4 | 40/2.8 Pancake | 100/2.0 | 55-250STM | 430EXII

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 28, 2014 06:33 |  #5

werds wrote in post #16998844 (external link)
Aside from color... :lol: Which one of these two would be the better purchase and why? *Main goal is shooting wide open in low light for indoor sports and dance recitals.

Canon 70-200 2.8 IS mk1

or

Tamron 70-200 2.8 di VC

A new Tamron seems to run around the same as a used mk1... unless I get lucky and hit upon one of those wondrous sales everyone talks about that I always miss... but my luck with non Canon lenses gives me a slight bias towards Canon lenses...

Yes I do WANT IS/VC so am not looking at non IS models and yes I need 2.8 as it I am specifically looking to use it indoors for sports and recitals. Since I am shooting on a 70D I am most likely to be shooting wide open in these situations in order to keep shutter speed up... so comments on it's low light AF performance would be helpful...

But after reading reviews I am not certain I am dialed in on the better option and was hoping someone could provide the info needed (I usually see it compared to the mk2 so wasn't sure how it stands compared to mk1)

*Note* I am purely a hobbyist and do not do this for cash so the mk2 Canon is out of the conversation unless I get lucky and find a used one for cheap as dirt :P

If yoiu want a less expensive 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, there are two options available.

For reference, here are actual examples from the second least expensive 70-200mm f/2.8 lens available, the non-stabilized Sigma model (external link).

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …0818a0067_zpse6​637e7c.jpg (external link)

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …1027a0029_zps18​44ad49.jpg (external link)

Also, here are examples from the least expensive 70-200mm f/2.8 lens available, a non-stabilized Tamron unit. (external link)

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …0528a0441_zpsaa​713bd1.jpg (external link)

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …1231a0011_zps16​9c0693.jpg (external link)

Images from the non-stabilized lens seemed to be better than from the Sigma, but the Tamron has sluggish autofocus response.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,780 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 28, 2014 07:43 as a reply to  @ DC Fan's post |  #6

get the tamron 2.8 vc. Theres a reason why its compared to the canon is ii. I bought the Canon before I saw all the good reviews for the tamron. I decided that if my copy didnt really shine then I would try out the Tamron and pick up a sigma art for the same price. From everything Ive seen on the web and reviews the Tamron is just as good as the Canon with the exception of af speed. I just kinda figured why change out a good lens for an unknown lens, whether its Canon or Tamron you always have a small small risk in what you get. i have something good so im just going to hold on to it

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 28, 2014 07:50 |  #7

If I'd have to get one today, I'd go for the Tammy. It's around half the price of the Canon MkII and it's very good. Apart from extreme corners you probably won't notice the difference apart from edge/corner performance.
If you plan to use it with a TC, you might want to look at other alternatives, but within reasonable budget, the Tamron seems like the one to go for now.

If you happen to come across a cheap and good used Canon Mk1, that could be a good option as well, but the price would have to be significantly lower than a Tamron imo.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
4,397 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 28, 2014 08:54 as a reply to  @ TweakMDS's post |  #8

I was also debating between the Canon and Tamron. The Tamron has comparable vibration control, and the optics are almost as good. The AF is fast and quiet. The main factors that got me to go with the Canon is the $300 rebate, less vignetting, and there's no issue of "actual focal length". Both the Tamron and Sigma apparently don't frame like the Canon. Is the Canon worth the extra money? Well only you can answer that!

If I was looking at a used mkI Canon vs a new Tamron, I would get the Tamron. You get the assurance of it being new and under warranty, and it's being compared with the new Canon IS II.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=kAAeoB1F7nI (external link)

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 28, 2014 09:45 |  #9

I bought the tamron 70200 2.8 vc over the canon 70200 2.8 mk1 or 2 because of:
6 year warranty
black
good af, color and sharpness

Gearlist

Jaejin0417
131 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 28, 2014 09:50 |  #10

If you're limited on budget, Sigma is a good alternative. I read reviews and really didn't have good reviews. But I bought it anyways, and I must say, I'm really impressed. It's not as bad as people say. Canon mkii is obviously the best, then Tamron, then Sigma.

Canon 70D
Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS
Canon 24-70 2.8L

Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 28, 2014 09:52 |  #11

Tamron any day of the week.

werds
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jun 28, 2014 10:17 |  #12

@ DC Fan - Yea, I have constantly been looking at the non-is models of both Tamron and mostly Sigma, but barring me finding one at a ridiculously good price I have counted them out of the purchasing process simply based on the benefit that IS can bring in poor lighting situation that I do not get from these. I definitely have seen a lot of great frames from the Non-IS counterparts, just always read here from people that loved their non-IS models of X but soon as they got the IS models say they could never go back. As this being a long term purchase I plan on getting the IS model of something - again, barring finding a ridiculously good deal!

As to the Sigma 70-200 2.8 most reviews say it acquits itself well but not standing shoulder to shoulder to the Mkii and the Tammy - so with the price of a used or new being only a 100 or 200 off from the Tammy I have also stopped looking at it as a main contender barring a ridiculously good price on one (Also having used Sigma lenses I always worry about the lottery).

Thanks to everyone else as far as helping me fill out an understanding of what is what - so basically the reason I see the Tammy compared to the mkii has more to do with it being close to that quality and not because the mki is no longer in service?

Looks like right now I am going to look for a good Tammy deal and hope I don't get impatient in the process :) The all black and 6 year warranty also do attract me as the black is more low key in public...

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 28, 2014 11:03 |  #13

I don't know. I used the Tammy and the Siggy and chose the Sig and I'm still thrilled with it almost 2 years later. It's really a matter of personal taste. Try them all out then buy the one you like best.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 28, 2014 11:09 as a reply to  @ werds's post |  #14

I have owned the Sigma, which I liked but sold to finance a 100-400. I have since bought two Tamron lenses that have been great deals vs the competition, and am waiting on a Tamron 150-600. I have also considered getting a 70-200 again, and concluded that the Tamron VC model is the best quality/price combo out there. And, the 6-year warranty is great for peace-of-mind.

Digital EOS 90D Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 29, 2014 08:15 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

I use a Sigma OS. No complaints.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

sponsored links

2,874 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which 70-200 2.8?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.