Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Jun 2014 (Saturday) 09:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Color change after opening a raw file to edit in Photoshop CS6?

EdenBarLev
127 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 28, 2014 09:22 |  #1

Hi guys,
I started using RAW again, and I remembered why I stopped. Since I'm an amateur, one of the main reasons why I chose Canon and bought all my equipment AGAIN, is the colors. I absolutely LOVE the canon colors. Down the road I found out canon is simply the best :)
Anyways, I shoot at RAW+JPEG mode, and every time I open a picture to edit in ps 6, I get a weird tone with a brown(ish) color. still RGB but a little bit brown. there's almost nothing I can do to change it, it's frustrating. It had happened to me before ,using PICASA.
the first 2,3 days - all is ok. and then, this. it must be something I'm doing wrong. I googled and found no reason.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what's the solution?

CAMERA : 550D \ t2i . LENS: tamron 17-50 2.8 (Love this lens!!)
attached please find any example (I'm aware that in this pictures RAW looks better, trust me, the face looks grown\yellow and weird!)
the lower picture is the JPEG.

thanks
Eden.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Eden B.L
550D | 18-55 kit | 55-250 | 580EX mk.2 |

sponsored links
joelbroughton
34 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 28, 2014 10:56 |  #2

Can't you just play with the RAW settings until you get the look that matches the JPEG? I think the reason the JPEG looks different is b/c the camera does some processing on it that it doesn't do with RAW. With RAW, it's up to you.

5D Mark iii | 50mm f/1.4

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,432 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 28, 2014 11:55 |  #3

A Raw file has no color. Absolutely none. A Raw is a greyscale image and the color is created by the proccessing unit during the creation of a jpg based on the Raw data. There are two ways to get the Canon proccessing that will produce Canon colors; let the camera do it or let Canon's DPP application do all the work - i. e., don't touch a slider, leave them at their default positions. But if you use PSCS/ACR the default colors will be Adobe colors, not Canon colors. Start moving sliders and the colors become a partnership between you and Adobe. The power is in your hands to contribute a greater or lesser part of the partnership.

I am reminded of a thread I read in a different forum about a year ago. Some somewhat foolish people were debating the relative merits of "Canon colors" and "Nikon colors" until somebody shut them up by writing, "I don't want Canon or Nikon colors! I want my colors!" That is why we shoot Raw.

Elie / אלי

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 28, 2014 13:43 |  #4

Eden, to emphasize a point made above, I'd advise you to work with the Canon Raw processing software Digital Photo Professional (DPP) to get a look at how the jpegs are being rendered from the Raw files. If you open the Raw file in the Edit window DPP will apply the in-camera settings that the camera uses when creating a jpeg. Then you can examine things like the Picture Style settings the camera uses. The Adobe doesn't apply these things the way that Canon does, but you can use DPP to analyze things and then in the Adobe Raw software you can tweak things accordingly.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

EdenBarLev
THREAD ­ STARTER
127 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 28, 2014 14:01 |  #5

OK ,as mention - I'm not a pro.. so really all this information is quit new,
I would like to know how to change the settings so that when I start working on a picture i'll see the same colors I see in my JPEG version, becuase I can't get these colors, no matter what I try..
Again,googled- and nothing helpful came up.

thank you.

Eden B.L

EdenBarLev
THREAD ­ STARTER
127 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 28, 2014 14:04 |  #6

tonylong wrote in post #16999726 (external link)
Eden, to emphasize a point made above, I'd advise you to work with the Canon Raw processing software Digital Photo Professional (DPP) to get a look at how the jpegs are being rendered from the Raw files. If you open the Raw file in the Edit window DPP will apply the in-camera settings that the camera uses when creating a jpeg. Then you can examine things like the Picture Style settings the camera uses. The Adobe doesn't apply these things the way that Canon does, but you can use DPP to analyze things and then in the Adobe Raw software you can tweak things accordingly.

Yes, that was the only thing that came out when I googled, I didn't try it because I do find the cs6 a VERY convenient tool , also, I believe I can get the colors I want. I had them!! I know I clicked something[It happened right after that one time when I open a picture in RAW and then somehow transferred it to JPEG regular mode], I just don't know what :(

Eden B.L

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 28, 2014 15:02 |  #7

Eden, there's no "magic" approach to this, Raw processing in most software (other than DPP) is a pretty subjective/creative process.

The Adobe Camera Raw does have some "presets"/profiles you can play with in the "Camera Calibration" tab. They are similar to the camera Picture Styles, so if you open the "drop down" list for Camera Profile in that tab, you will see choices that are made to "match" the Canon Picture Styles -- feel free to play around, just realize that they are only "starting points"!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,827 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 28, 2014 15:28 |  #8

EdenBarLev wrote in post #16999750 (external link)
I know I clicked something[It happened right after that one time when I open a picture in RAW and then somehow transferred it to JPEG regular mode], I just don't know what :(

Please check a couple of settings. 1) What is the camera Color Space set to? 2) What is the camera Picture Style set to? 3) When you open a RAW file in ACR, what does the blue hyperlink at the bottom show? 4) do you have ACR set up to open jpeg's?

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

sponsored links

622 views & 0 likes for this thread
Color change after opening a raw file to edit in Photoshop CS6?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.