Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 29 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 00:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would you do in this situation?

Xerxes
60 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 29, 2014 00:46 |  #1

To get good exposure of the statue and the background church, without blowing out the sky? Standing on the opposite side of the statue is not an option.

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/vRiPLoxl.jpg
http://imgur.com/vRiPL​ox (external link)
I want perfect dynamic range with full detail in the clouds, no blown out areas, but also full detail at ground level.

Obviously the scene is too large to use a fill flash.

Would you use a graduated ND filter? A CPL filter? Would you spot meter on the statue? HDR bracketing?

Thanks,
Xerxes

sponsored links
venom3300
610 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 29, 2014 00:55 |  #2

meter the sky and the statue see what the difference is. choose a ND filter according to the number of stops difference

Bodies: Nikon D800,Canon Rebel GII, Pentax K1000
Lenses: Nikon 20mm 1.8, Nikon 24 2.8 MF, Tamron SP 35mm 1.8, Tamron 90 2.8 Macro, Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR I, Nikon AI-P 500mm F4, Nikon TC-16A, SMC Pentax-A 50/1.7, SMC Pentax-M 100/4 Macro

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 29, 2014 02:11 |  #3

I don't see how an ND filter would help. If you can't get any light on the statue, then you can try shooting Raw and "coaxing" the highlights and shadows, but, well, good luck!

Otherwise, exposure bracketing and HDR is your best bet, and then in the future plan for shooting with better light!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 29, 2014 02:54 |  #4

ND makes no sense whatsoever. Bracket and blend the exposures or do a HDR.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

speedync
Goldmember
1,287 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 29, 2014 07:36 |  #5

What camera are you using? Lots of camera's of late have built in HDR modes. They work really well in my humble opinion. Especially when you don't have a tripod handy. Even my point & shoot Panasonic has a good one that gives quite natural looking results. I'd post up a couple of shots, but I'm on the phone.

Xerxes
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 29, 2014 10:27 as a reply to  @ speedync's post |  #6

Thanks for the responses. I'm critiquing old shots to better learn photography. This shot was taken auto mode with an S3 IS, but my current camera is a Canon T5i with magic lantern installed, so exposure bracketing and post editing of raw would be a cinch.

Would a CPL filter + exposure bracketing work well for this image?

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 29, 2014 10:38 as a reply to  @ Xerxes's post |  #7

A CPL wouldn't help much, if at all, in that shot, as the sky is mostly cloud. Likewise an ND won't help as it just reduces the overall exposure, it will darken the statue as much as the sky.

My personal choice would be to take two shots, one exposed for the statue and one for the sky, then blend them in post. Alternatively, you could bracket shots and use HDR software to give a more balanced result.

canonphotog
796 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 29, 2014 10:43 |  #8

A CPL is always nice for working with sky. For this shot I'd use a tripod and a handheld light meter to meter both the sky and the statue. If you don't have a handheld light meter you can use the spot meter in your camera (not familiar with the T5i).

Bracketing the sky and the statue separately will give you the best images to merge for an optimum image.

-Ken
Gear List|Kenny D. Photography (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,957 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jun 29, 2014 11:19 |  #9

If it were really important I would put the camera on a tripod and make two exposures. One for the statue and one for the sky and then merge the two together. Bracketing? Just get the two good exposures of each. Spot meter the statues and get hte meter reading off something about 18% gray that you want render as such and then do the same for the sky. Two well placed exposures is all that you need.

tstowe
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 29, 2014 19:54 |  #10

Open it in Photoshop. Select Image > Adjustments > Shadows/Highlights.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.ToddStowe.com (external link)
www.TheTalon.SmugMug.c​om (external link)

Xerxes
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 08, 2014 21:05 |  #11

Thanks for all the informative responses!

sponsored links

1,689 views & 0 likes for this thread
What would you do in this situation?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.