Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 05 Jul 2006 (Wednesday) 15:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is Adorama A Reputable Company ?

canoncurious
59 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 05, 2006 15:34 |  #1

Hello all. I recently came across this company ADORAMA while looking through a Digital Photo Pro magazine.
The ad says they trade/buy used equipment. I have been wanting to sell my Minolta X-700 for stuff for my digital camera.

I talked to Adorama and they said "Send it in so we can take a look at it".

Obviously, I'm leary of doing that. So, I just wanted to see of you guys think it's safe.

Here is a picture of the equipment I am trying to sell that they want me to mail (via UPS).

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

sponsored links
coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 05, 2006 15:37 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

yes they are reputible, but that sounds bad to me. B&H quoted me a general price, then would fluxuate based on condition versus verbal description. You'll probably get the best money from ebay or fredmiranda

Photographic Resources (external link) || International Photo Journalist (external link)

Blog (external link)

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographer (external link)

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 05, 2006 16:22 |  #3

Adorama is an actual brick and mortar store in NY, Manhattan, if I remember correctly. They are reputabel but if you order things, you often get an e-mail asking you to call them regarding your order. When you call them, they try to upsell you stuff. I don't think that'll be an issue in this case as you are selling to them though.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

RedWingNut
242 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 05, 2006 18:07 |  #4

Adorama is pretty reputable. B&H is a tad more reputable, but both can have issues. If you are looking to sell that gear, KEH (www.keh.com (external link)) might be a good place to chaeck to, as they sell more used stuff than Adorama or B&H. I like KEH for used stuff.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 05, 2006 19:30 as a reply to  @ RedWingNut's post |  #5

Adorama is an excellent store. B&H also asks you to send in your gear for evaluation. If you don't like what they offer you, they will send it back to you at their expense, just as Adorama will.

One important thing, though. You will get next to nothing for that gear. I don''t mean that as an insult in any way. For gear less than a year old, they will generally give you 50 percent of the selling price at the time of trade.

An example: I wanted to see how much I could get for my 1DsMKII. It is about a year and a half old. I paid list for it when I bought it, which was $8,000. While that was still the selling price, B&H offered me $4,000 on trade. And my camera is in like new condition.

If you got a hundred dollars you'd be lucky. May be better off just keeping it.

Trading in gear, which I've done with all types of gear from stereo equipment to cameras, is the path of least resistance but also the path of least reward.

mark

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 05, 2006 20:32 |  #6

Give KEH a try. They have an online evaluater which will give you pricing, subject to a hands-on inspection. They will buy equipment outright, or, you can use it towards buying other gear from them. I believe they pay a premium if you use your gear towards another purchase. Plus, they have a pretty extensive listing of used gear,with competitive prices.

darkvibe
295 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 05, 2006 21:21 as a reply to  @ Tee Why's post |  #7

Tee Why wrote:
They are reputabel but if you order things, you often get an e-mail asking you to call them regarding your order. When you call them, they try to upsell you stuff.

I haven't had that happen. I've placed about 6-8 orders with them in the past few months. The most recent was a $1250 order about an hour ago. No phone calls here. I'll probably get one now that i said that :oops:

I'm a loyal customer to adorama and have had nothing but good experiences. Never tried to sell them gear though.

http://www.darkvibe.or​g/gallery/ (external link)
Canon 30D w/ grip, 18-55mm kit lens, Canon 24-105mm f4L IS, Tamron AF 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 XR DI, Canon 50mm f1.8 II, Sigma APO 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG HSM, Sigma EF 500 DG Super, Slik Pro 400DX tripod, Slik Pro Pod 381 CF monopod.

ChP
278 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 05, 2006 22:42 |  #8

Adorama is a very good company. They are competitors with B&H and sometimes will have lower prices (in my experience, rarely).

I second that you shouldn't bother selling them that gear. You could keep it and play around with it, or try and sell it locally. Some photo students could use a set up like that and by selling somewhere in between what Adorama would give you and what they would charge the student you can both benefit.

My Website (external link)
My Shutterstock Gallery (external link)
My Canstock Gallery (external link)
Dreamstime (external link)
BigStockPhoto (external link)

judyg
170 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 08, 2006 00:01 |  #9

I recently had a VERY bad experience selling used lenses to Adorama.

I was selling the 300 f/4 L IS and the 70-300 DO IS. Both lenses were in absolutely perfect condition.

I live in NY and have been to Adorama and I considered them reputable so I decided to go the easy route and sell it to them. I spoke to someone in the used dept there and he said they would pay the postage to send the lenses to them, and they would quote me a price, and if I wasn't happy with the price, they would send them back to me at no charge. If you look on their website you will see that is what it says there too.

It was a bait and switch and they were sleazy. They sent me prepaid UPS labels to send them the lenses. They promised to give me a quote the same day they got the lenses. They had the lenses the next day, but then they took over 2 weeks to even give me quotes.

Then they totally lowballed the price of the lenses. They said they would pay me $500 for the 300 f/4 IS and $600 for the 70-300 DO. I told them to send them back to me and that I'd sell them online. They said I would have to pay to have them shipped back to me. I said that they promised to send them back for free if I wasn't happy with their quote. I also pointed out that is what it says on their website.

He said I had to pay for return postage since he had made a "reasonable" offer and he felt I was "unreasonable" to refuse it.

I believe it was at this point that I mentioned I am an attorney and this was consumer fraud and my next call would be the the NYC Dept of Consumer Affairs to report this, etc.

He sent the lens back, but not for about another week, and after several more calls and threats by me. In every call, he asked me again "how much do you want for it?" I told him over and over that I would not sell it to them since I thought their business practices were sleazy. He kept saying, "You must have a price in mind." Over and over...every call.

I will never ever go anywhere near that store again.

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 08, 2006 00:33 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

You're better off selling used equipment on Ebay. When you try to sell to Adorama, B&H, or KEH, they won't give you close to market value because they obviously want to make a tidy profit. That's pretty much the way it's going to be with any retailer. As for Adorama, I've ordered a number of things from them, but always through the Amazon website to avoid the upselling.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 08, 2006 02:53 as a reply to  @ darkvibe's post |  #11

darkvibe wrote:
I haven't had that happen. I've placed about 6-8 orders with them in the past few months. The most recent was a $1250 order about an hour ago. No phone calls here. I'll probably get one now that i said that :oops:

I'm a loyal customer to adorama and have had nothing but good experiences. Never tried to sell them gear though.

I got the upsale e-mail when I ordered from them about a 1.5 yr ago. Never bought from them again. A guy I knew ordered a lens from them about a year ago and got the upsale e-mail as well. I don't know if it's a systematic thing or is some of the salesman are doing this.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 08, 2006 03:37 as a reply to  @ Tee Why's post |  #12

To the OP, I'd give it a go with ebay first. Chances are you'll get closer to what you want there.

As far as the upsales go, my first purchase went like this...

Adorama: Would you also like to get blah blah blah?

Me: No thanks.

Adorama: Ok, you'll be recieving a conformation email shortly.

Me: Cool. ________Click.

Second purchase...

Adorama: Would you like to get a filter pack and a Mack warranty?

Me: No thanks.

Adorama: We'll drop the price of the lens so all it'll be is an extra $60 to the original lens price for the lens, filter pack, and the 3yr Warranty?

Me: Sold.

Adorama: Ok, you'll be recieving a conformation email shortly.

Me: Cool. ________Click.

Saved over $100, would have bought the filters anyhow at a later date. All for an extra 8-10 seconds on the phone, not to bad of a deal I think.

Dealt with the same guy both times.:D They'll continue to get my business.

Christian.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 08, 2006 07:44 as a reply to  @ judyg's post |  #13

I am sorry you had that bad experience with them. No store should treat customers that way. Your actions are wholly appropriate. You did the right thing. Take your business elsewhere.

That said:

judyg wrote:
...Then they totally lowballed the price of the lenses. They said they would pay me $500 for the 300 f/4 IS and $600 for the 70-300 DO.

They did not lowball you. B&H would have offered you less and would not have attempted to ask what you wanted in order to perhaps give you a little more.

As I stated in my post above, it is their policy to offer close to 50 percent of the current selling price. In fact, they offered you slightly more.

mark

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 08, 2006 08:02 |  #14

Lowballing isn't sleazy. There's no sense giving you what you could sell it for on ebay, since that's one of their outlets. They aren't in the business to break even.

That said, I would sell it myself or just keep it.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 08, 2006 09:14 as a reply to  @ Tee Why's post |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

Tee Why wrote:
I got the upsale e-mail when I ordered from them about a 1.5 yr ago. Never bought from them again. A guy I knew ordered a lens from them about a year ago and got the upsale e-mail as well. I don't know if it's a systematic thing or is some of the salesman are doing this.

If you get an upsell email from Adorama, all you have to do is reply, "Just send the merchandise." And they will. The principle is the same as when you go to a fast food restaurant and the cashier asks, "Do you want fries with that?"

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

939 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is Adorama A Reputable Company ?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.