Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 27 Jun 2014 (Friday) 12:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Apple kills Aperture

Jaybrams
33 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 30, 2014 07:42 |  #31

This has to make you wonder if you can maintain confidence in other Apple software programs. Who knows when they will decide to abandon users who have become dependent on Apple's seeming commitment to the end user?

5Dii, 7D, SL1, and a bunch of lenses.

sponsored links
Mjolnir
175 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 30, 2014 09:19 |  #32

Just got a copy of LR in the mail.

Time to get learning. :)

www.toeterphotography.​blogspot.com (external link)
Flickr. (external link)
365 project. (external link)
Eos 7D, 300mm F/2.8 L IS, 100-400L, 24-105L, 70-200L II IS USM, Sigma 150mm OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 60mm Macro, Canon 50mm F/1.8.

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 30, 2014 09:26 |  #33

"its professional photo-editing software application"

The word 'professional'

Everyone I know, and have known, who uses photo editing software and earns their living in one capacity or another with photography uses Photoshop, and the vast majority on Macs. So perhaps Apple have just come to the conclusion it's fairly pointless pushing it as 'professional,' and might as well push it some where else.

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,734 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 30, 2014 09:53 |  #34

I get that "professionals" use Photoshop, but what is so "professional" about using Photoshop on a Mac instead of a PC? :rolleyes:

The reason professionals use Photoshop is that there is no other serious alternative. If there was an alternative many professionals would use it.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,784 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 30, 2014 10:06 |  #35

Todd Lambert wrote in post #17000188 (external link)
...You really think Adobe is worried about Capture One?

Well, since C1 predates LR by several years, and LR already came along and stole all of it's thunder, just as it did for the rest of the players in the RAW conversion market years ago now, No.

I don't think anyone was saying that, or actually cares what Adobe is worried about.

It's pretty impressive, and I guess not too hard to have predicted how Adobe came late to the RAW party, and then set about dominating the market in a few short years. If I recall Aperture came out before LR, and was one of the first very complete packages, and was clearly being emulated for LR.

Like I said, competition is good. It's too bad Apple did not remain in this market.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,784 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 30, 2014 10:37 |  #36

David Arbogast wrote in post #17002974 (external link)

The reason professionals use Photoshop is that there is no other serious alternative. If there was an alternative many professionals would use it.

whatever happened to Corel? I remember a time when their software was competitive, and they had the "perfect" (and most popular) word processor.
They seem to just continue to eek buy.
Now they have one of those old great RAW converters they bought from Bibble too.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,784 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 30, 2014 10:46 |  #37

P.S. they unfortunately don;t have a Mac version yet, but Corel AfterShot Pro (formerly Bibble RAW) is a solid Windows RAW application. It's version two has finally added 64 bit cpatibility.

They claim that Mac and Linux versions are on the way.

Bibble Raw became my RAW app of choice shortly after Adobe ate my former favorite "RawShooter Professional" chewed it up and spat out LR.

Corel's adoption of the Bibble app is solid, has not taken anything away, and added a few features.
It lacks in a few areas, but my biggest issue is that they have not made any effective use of dual Monitors,. a problem that a lot of these apps seem to have which is mystifying to me. (how hard is it to just let us undock a tool bar from the image window??)

Anyways, they may get their buts in gear to get that Mac version out.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 30, 2014 10:54 |  #38

Believe it or not GIMP is decent and free. It's big fault is that it is 8 bits only.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 30, 2014 11:04 |  #39

Corel PSP is actually quite competitive with Photoshop for MOST purposes. It's got most of the Pro features. They are just down there in the Photoshop Elements price space out of competitive necessity so they get mistaken for another consumer-level product. I think they are trying to straddle both lines there.

Aftershot Pro (Bibble) is pretty good, but I keep having problems where mRAW images corrupt my thumbnail cache.

jetcode wrote in post #17003076 (external link)
Believe it or not GIMP is decent and free. It's big fault is that it is 8 bits only.

I'd argue that the big fault is an intuitive interface. I am pretty savvy with this kind of stuff and it was just a nightmare (IMHO) to use GIMP. I really wanted to like it, but Photoshop Elements and Corel PSP are so much easier to use and very affordable.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,784 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 30, 2014 11:39 |  #40

8 bit only means it was out of the question for me back in 2004.
10 years later, and one can see that it is not being developed in a way that makes it of use to most of the world. and yes, I hated the interface.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

jfinke
411 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 30, 2014 20:00 |  #41

rdwalton wrote in post #17001676 (external link)
I don't recall LR ever being tHat high.

According to a review (external link) I read, the original list price of LR2 was $299. I remember purchasing it for $149 thinking that was a great deal.

a6000, 5Dii, 40D, 350D, 430EX, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS, EF-S 18-55 IS, nifty fifty, Sigma APO 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG Macro, Tokina 11-16, Sony E PZ 16-50mm
flickr (external link)
, 500px (external link), Lightroom CC, Nik Complete, Photoshop CC, onOne 9.5

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,169 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 30, 2014 20:08 |  #42

jfinke wrote in post #17004042 (external link)
According to a review (external link) I read, the original list price of LR2 was $299. I remember purchasing it for $149 thinking that was a great deal.

Yeah I got LR2 for $120 on academic discount since my wife took a class through work and got access to the discounts. LR is something I'd wanted for a while but couldn't bring myself to spend $300 on it.

CanongLass
112 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 30, 2014 21:53 |  #43

I made the switch to LR a few years ago since Adobe continued to make more improvements. Apple did not give Aperture the same amount of attention...too bad since the more competition the better for the consumer.

Houston1863
729 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 01, 2014 05:04 |  #44

CanongLass wrote in post #17004272 (external link)
I made the switch to LR a few years ago since Adobe continued to make more improvements. Apple did not give Aperture the same amount of attention...too bad since the more competition the better for the consumer.

Agree with this. Apple simply walked away so it really leaves users with no choice but to start to look elsewhere. Two can play at the same game and TBH Aperture has been lagging behind for years. I bought into it and stayed with it but perhaps it really is time to learn something else. What's annoying is that I had bought the complete Nik plug-ins just before Google bought them up and now that's wasted too unless Nik allow Aperture users of its' plug-in to convert to the LR version.

2x5D3, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200/2.8L IS,15 FE, 50L,100L, 2x580EXII, 1x430Exll, Fuji X10, YN-622Cs, Manfrotto Neotec legs, various bits and pieces, my Apples ( 2 living MacBook Pro, 1 dormant PowerBook G4 ), bags and bits of Think Tank stuff
www.picture-u.net (external link)
www.picturing-u.blogspot.com (external link)

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 01, 2014 07:59 |  #45

If anyone still uses an @me.com email address find an alternative now. They won't pull the plug without warning but this is a clear signal that Apple are abandoning things they are not very good at, like packaged software and online services.

sponsored links

10,395 views & 0 likes for this thread
Apple kills Aperture
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.