Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Jun 2014 (Monday) 12:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help with a Raw image file

darthrazz
62 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 23, 2014 12:54 |  #1

Update, here is a link to the image:

https://www.dropbox.co​m …kpwt9arnz017/IM​G_0176.CR2 (external link)

If I posted a RAW image would anyone be able to help me color correct it?

I need help with an image I shot of my daughters Communion. Of the few shots I took this was the best one.....

No matter what I do in Photoshop I can't seem to get this image to look good. I only had about 15 minutes between the church function and restaurant to shoot my pictures. I don't know why for the life of me I shot it ISO 1600, it's pretty noisy. I don't know if I posted this in the correct section but appreciate any help I can get. I have a wife who is rapidly losing patience as she wants to print this at 11x14.

I appreciate your help as I'm fairly new to photography.

Canon 5D MKII • Canon 5D MKIII • Canon 50mm 1.8 •  Canon 85mm 1.8 • Canon 16-35mm 2.8L II • Canon 24-70mm 2.8L • Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM • Canon Speedlite 430ex • Canon Speedlite 430exII

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,700 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 23, 2014 13:00 |  #2

You cant post a raw file here. You would need to make it available somehow for users to access it.

darthrazz
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 23, 2014 13:06 |  #3

gonzogolf wrote in post #16989726 (external link)
You cant post a raw file here. You would need to make it available somehow for users to access it.

Thank you. I will place it as a link to anyone that feels they might be able to help.

Canon 5D MKII • Canon 5D MKIII • Canon 50mm 1.8 •  Canon 85mm 1.8 • Canon 16-35mm 2.8L II • Canon 24-70mm 2.8L • Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM • Canon Speedlite 430ex • Canon Speedlite 430exII

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,700 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 23, 2014 13:25 |  #4

darthrazz wrote in post #16989732 (external link)
Thank you. I will place it as a link to anyone that feels they might be able to help.

I'm sure someone will be happy to take a crack at it. Unfortunately I'm not where I have access to PS right now. It also might be helpful if you posted your best effort so people have an idea of what they might be getting into.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,525 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 23, 2014 23:00 |  #5

If you use drop box or a similar file sharing system you can upload it to there and post a link.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Edsport
662 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 25, 2014 05:38 |  #6

Post it to www.sendspace.com (external link) and copy/paste the download link here. You can leave the email addys as default...

Cameras - Canon 350D, 5D
Lenses - Canon 18-55mm, 75-300mm, 50mm f/1.8, 24-105L, 24-70L
Flashes - Yongnuo YN460 II, YN468
RF-602 transmitter and 2 receivers

darthrazz
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 30, 2014 11:25 as a reply to  @ Edsport's post |  #7

OK everyone, thanks for your help, here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.co​m …kpwt9arnz017/IM​G_0176.CR2 (external link)

I appreciate anyones help with this image.

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jun 30, 2014 13:54 as a reply to  @ darthrazz's post |  #8

here is my try. white balance adjustment in the raw converter and in photoshop
dodge and burning.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 30, 2014 14:39 |  #9

To the OP, could you post an image of your attempts and explain what you are unhappy with?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 30, 2014 14:41 |  #10

Here's a quick try done in Adobe Camera Raw 8.5

To my eyes the two major problems:
(a) The flash wasn't properly controlled resulting in light reflecting from the walls and influencing her skin tones
(b) it appears there were multiple light sources. After white balancing on her dress, her left arm was very cool.

I did basic adjustments in ACR, then used the adjustment brush to warm up the skin tones on her left arm and right hand.

Obviously there's much more that could be done with further processing in Photoshop.

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/72CVPwS.jpg

Gear List

darthrazz
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 30, 2014 15:07 |  #11

tonylong wrote in post #17003453 (external link)
To the OP, could you post an image of your attempts and explain what you are unhappy with?

Here is the best that I was able to come up with. I can't get seem to get her skin tone right, it's not as dark as it's showing up on the post .

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i73.photobucket​.com …razz/SofiaPortr​aitnew.jpg (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,984 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 30, 2014 15:23 |  #12

Maybe? It is hard to tell if the dress should be white or off white. It is a very lovely shot and the noise is minor - a tiny bit of luma NR and a little bit more chroma NR - not much. The warm tone to the lighting is nice, don't sweat the WB too much.

IMAGE: http://kirkt.smugmug.com/Photography/Link-Share/i-M7LKzzc/0/O/IMG_0176%20copy%202.jpg

kirk

Kirk
---

darthrazz
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 30, 2014 15:29 |  #13

kirkt wrote in post #17003541 (external link)
Maybe? It is hard to tell if the dress should be white or off white.

QUOTED IMAGE

kirk

Dress was white, that looks good!

darthrazz
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 30, 2014 15:30 as a reply to  @ darthrazz's post |  #14

Thanks for your help everyone, I was starting to lose hope with this image.

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 30, 2014 15:50 as a reply to  @ post 17003514 |  #15

Looks like a lot of other folks are also trying to help. I don't like to "play" with other folks images, so this is a fairly simple noise removal using Neat Image in PS CS6 after using ACR 8.x to do the raw conversion.

The one thing that I did take the liberty of doing is to tweak the white balance using the white flowers as a best guess at white reference. From my limited experience, white artificial flowers are a good bet to be white while a white dress usually isn't.

I applied selective noise reduction in a couple layers mostly to the background and to a lesser extent to to everything else except for the veil and hair which I didn't touch because noise reduction would have killed the subtle detail.

I didn't do any other type of editing that you may or may not want to do yourself such as sharpening the jewelry or brightening her eyes. It is too easy to get carried away with editing so I generally go for less.

Anyway, if you click on the image it will take you to a full size JPG that I have temporarily placed in my PBase photo gallery. The full size version is better for showing the noise reduction and details. This version is sRGB and there is also a ProPhotoRGB version at http://www.pbase.com/b​ill_boehme/potn_stuff (external link), but I don't really see any meaningful difference between the two.

If interested, I have PSD versions (layered and flat) if you care for them and if there is someplace to upload them.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

Basically, I think that the noise isn't bad especially if the image is to to be printed or scaled down for viewing on screen. The noise in the 5D II really isn't bad at ISO 1600 and about the only time that it is objectionable is when pixel peeping. In any event, it cleans up quite easily.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

sponsored links

2,390 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help with a Raw image file
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.