Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 20 May 2014 (Tuesday) 14:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Website theory: Simple is better

J_O_S_H_U_A
265 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 20, 2014 14:31 |  #1

www.joshuaorozco.com (external link)

What do you guys think? Simplicity to me is key. I honestly have been gallaried/flashed/phot​osheltered/wixed/and wordpressed out!

I want something that loads quick and gets the job done with as few clicks as possible.

I got my friend to write some PHP pages that I can update myself. Im not terribly worried about watermarking or protecting because the images on my site are very small (700x500 @72dpi)

All i wanna do is have a landing page to send potential clients to so that they can get a quick browse at my work. I will obviously be writing proposals, and bringing a printed portfolio to face to face meetings so this should be all i need..... right?

thoughts?

www.joshuaorozco.com (external link)

www.instagram.com/_j_o​_s_h_u_a_ (external link) www.atomiccanary.com (external link) http://joshuaorozco.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 20, 2014 15:38 |  #2

I will go first, I am not a fan at all of side scrolling image bars. Also you have book 1, 2, 3, ..... on top, it looks like each of those is a different gallery? I would name them as such, I had no idea what they were and starting clicking just to see what they did.

I did not have my window at full size, and clicked bio and bookings and it looked like the pages did nothing because I did not see things changing below the images.

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

May 20, 2014 15:39 |  #3

Not a big fan on horizontal-scrolling. Does it work on mobile devices? I don't own one myself, but I use Screenfly to replicate mobile devices: http://quirktools.com …com/&w=320&h=56​8&a=37&s=1 (external link)

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

May 20, 2014 16:53 |  #4

Make that 3 people who don't like the horizontal scrolling. I'm looking at 1 photo (using Firefox browser) but the photos next to it are fighting for my attention. Show 1 at a time. It's simpler.

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 20, 2014 16:54 |  #5

Hi. Can't quite understand why you are using javascript for the top menu. Also, while the menu stays visible on the lappie while scrolling horizontally, on the ipad, the whole thing moves. Also, not a great fan of horizontal scrolling either. What's wrong with a slideshow in jquery?

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 22, 2014 02:37 |  #6

Horizontal scrolling is annoying. I can't use my mouse easily for it... you just took away my most simple method of moving around the page.

The numbers up the top in the menu are meaningless. You've just made the website harder to understand than it needs to be... I look at the menu and have no idea what each one is about. It looks like unfinished place holder content... you just increased the difficulty of using your site again... Not simple.

The menu and main content font is tiny. I'm squinting. Why? Oh why are you making viewing your site so difficult?

"Book 1" using capitalisation of the first letter "video" "bio" etc not... why?

Booking page... I can't even read the blue email link. It just appears like a blue line on screen. That is it make it even harder for me to use the site.

Peter

b0barikin
36 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 21, 2014 18:43 |  #7

Simple with a theme is the best way to go in my opinion... Good luck!

---W. Bobarikin
www.bobarikin.com (external link)
www.photographytulsaok​.com (external link)

J_O_S_H_U_A
THREAD ­ STARTER
265 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 23, 2014 14:33 |  #8

Hi All thanks for the continued feed back, MUCH appreciated!

I wanted to eliminate galaries, and the click through options just to see images. While I wanted to eliminate the ability to see a "gallery" all at once, I didnt find seeing 2-3 images at a time to be too distracting, hence the infamous side scrolling site.

I know its not for everyone, but it, for me is a better option than a downwardscrolling site that reminds me too much of the tumblr or 500px flow layout etc.

The site actually looks BEST on (iOS and android) mobile devices in my opinion.

I do have lots to tweek and test, so thanks again for your feedback, I am taking it all into consideration!

www.instagram.com/_j_o​_s_h_u_a_ (external link) www.atomiccanary.com (external link) http://joshuaorozco.co​m (external link)

eddie_h
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 23, 2014 15:12 |  #9

J_O_S_H_U_A wrote in post #16989904 (external link)
The site actually looks BEST on (iOS and android) mobile devices in my opinion.

I disagree, I think it looks terrible on mobile devices. Phones are best for vertical scrolling, not horizontal. The site doesn't make the best use of space. Also, when I click the "booking" page, all that pops up is your info email address. Why not have a contact form? Again, not mobile friendly.

IMO the site looks nice, but could use a lot of work. PM me if you need any additional help.

Eddie
New Berlin Web Design (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 23, 2014 19:40 |  #10

J_O_S_H_U_A wrote in post #16989904 (external link)
I know its not for everyone, but it, for me is a better option than a downwardscrolling site that reminds me too much of the tumblr or 500px flow layout etc.

Are you building the site for your own personal tastes or to cater for the end user who is using the site?

I would hazard a guess that the purpose of your website is to be seen and digested by the end user in order to effectively make sales. There is no business sense in alienating a large proportion of users (potential clients) purely for what is your own personal preference.

Peter

hello ­ people
253 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 24, 2014 22:02 |  #11

Having to scroll sideways is a MAJOR problem. A real DEAL BREAKER.

60D, x100S

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 25, 2014 13:08 |  #12

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16990439 (external link)
Are you building the site for your own personal tastes or to cater for the end user who is using the site?

I would hazard a guess that the purpose of your website is to be seen and digested by the end user in order to effectively make sales. There is no business sense in alienating a large proportion of users (potential clients) purely for what is your own personal preference.

You beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing. Joshua, I would listen to what is the overwhelming view on horizontal scrolling here. The general population probably has a similar view and these responders represent a good deal of business experience. POTN members have been a good deal of help to me in developing websites. I would trust their collective judgement.

A final thought - Tumblr et al probably have research indicating the same thing you have found here. That's why their sites are set up as they are.

And you are right about simplicity - as long as it's elegant simplicity.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 25, 2014 17:58 |  #13

Joshua, a word of advice from someone who's website has gone through at least 5 major rebuilds over 7 years. As a business your website exists for two reasons and two reasons only. To be found and to sell.

The website needs to be SEO friendly if you want any chance of a random stranger from Googleland to happen upon it. Personal preferences as to menu names etc should be secondary to what people will actually look for. Unless you are massively well known you can't get away with content which is no good for the Google juice. You need that juice and Google loves content, content that humans would be searching for.

The website primarily though is to create and makes sales. If you are sending people to the site from any other avenue other than a search engine it is the only reason the site exists. It is there to sell. That means it must be user friendly, it must be functional as well as pretty. It doesn't matter what your work is like if your site is hard to navigate... you will lose users, if it is confusing... you will lose users, if it is hard to read... you will lose users... if information they are looking for isn't present... you will lose users. Get the idea? Absolutely everything you do or don't do has the potential to lose users. The last thing you want to do is to automatically be losing a % of users just because of the website design.

I constantly update / tweak my website. I have in the past wanted my menu to read "First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes family" to denote couple, wedding and family photography. It LOST me users. Some just didn't get it or found it confusing. Going against what I wanted I ended up back at square one with simple, SEO and user friendly menu item names.

Websites on the whole are you playing the numbers game, you are trying to maximise your potential outcomes when the odds are stacked massively against you (have you seen how much competition is out there). I'm not saying minimalist sites don't work but 1) you have to get people to the site, 2) people have to be able to use it and 3) it MUST convert interest to sales.

I get a lot of good feedback from clients and potential clients for my website. More as time goes on because I listen to what they have to say about their experiences using it. I check my personal preferences at the door and do what works for the masses.

A website may be someone's first encounter with your business. You want people to associate your business with being clear, client friendly, easy to work with and some on. You start building that impression the moment someone lands on your home page. Done right you can have a sale 90% made before someone even clicks to get in touch.

Peter

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 25, 2014 23:53 |  #14

This horizontal scrolling website is horrible. I actually didn't want to look at more photos because it's really annoying and it doesn't feel right.

Why? Because I CAN'T USE MY MOUSE WHEEL to scroll down through the page. So fix the horizontal scrolling thing and then I will look at it again.

If I can't use my mouse wheel to scroll down through a page, I leave it.

Hybrid ­ AWD
170 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 02, 2014 10:00 |  #15

Your site isn't "simple". If you want a simple website, eliminate scrolling on the main page and have very limted menus to choose from.

Keep in mind what you are trying to present. Determine if you want to "wow" a potential client with one simple full screen image or if you want to showcase a wide variety of pictures on the home screen. Honestly, keeping it simple would be just a single image.

If the potential client is interested in a certain aspect for hiring you, they will then dig into your site and see what you're all about. Once they leave the main menu, they are committed so scrolling is fine.

I like my site and maybe you can get some ideas from it. We're all different and we all have different ideas on what works. Just try to picture your site from the outside.

Http://www.kinetic-stills.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,851 views & 0 likes for this thread
Website theory: Simple is better
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.