Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Jul 2014 (Wednesday) 10:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shot an Airshow, one of the pilots wants pics

farmerd
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 02, 2014 10:14 |  #1

I've been shooting for awhile now, but as an amateur. A few weekends ago I show an airshow for fun with my newly purchased canon 400mm 5.6 L and posted a link to the pics on the airshow's facebook page. One of the pilots is asking if he can use them on his facebook page and website for promotional purposes.

Any ideas on how to approach this? I would like to sell/license the pictures, but having never done this before I don't know where to start or what a fair price would be. I was thinking of asking for $20 a picture for unlimited usage rights on facebook and his website. Would that be fair?

oh, and if you want to see the pictures - they're here: https://www.gregd.org …/2014/Menomonie​AirShow/#3 (external link)

Thanks for your input!

sponsored links
Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 02, 2014 12:14 |  #2

I know a few of the airshows I have shot at for my own use have rules about commercial use (which to my understanding if you sell the image thats commercial use). Might be worth reading the fine print. If thats the case giving some photos with your logo might be best.

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 02, 2014 12:25 |  #3

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #17007414 (external link)
I know a few of the airshows I have shot at for my own use have rules about commercial use (which to my understanding if you sell the image thats commercial use). Might be worth reading the fine print. If thats the case giving some photos with your logo might be best.

^^^ That, plus to be honest your images are good but you should have shot them at a lower shutter speed to show prop movement (blur). Also, most airshow acts don't really have a ton of web-site traffic and it's not like a few photos are gonna' generate any income for them. IMO let them use a few images and be happy with a bit of recognition for your effort.

farmerd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 02, 2014 12:28 |  #4

Thanks littlejon - this particular airshow was at a small region airport and was free admission. I'm not able to find anything on their website about any rules they may have about photography.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 02, 2014 12:28 |  #5

Yup looking at your pics, you need to shoot with a lower shutter speed to show more prop motion. Right now everything looks like its about to fall out of the sky.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 02, 2014 12:30 |  #6

farmerd wrote in post #17007448 (external link)
Thanks littlejon - this particular airshow was at a small region airport and was free admission. I'm not able to find anything on their website about any rules they may have about photography.

A quick email or phone call to the organizer will clear everything up with what you can and can not do with the pictures. The last show I went to was at a small regional airport, but they had the most rules out of any of them.

farmerd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 02, 2014 12:52 |  #7

thanks again - assuming we get that part cleared up, i'm very interested in how to price the pictures / strategies to use and what would be considered fair.

farmerd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 02, 2014 13:29 |  #8

groundloop wrote in post #17007442 (external link)
^^^ That, plus to be honest your images are good but you should have shot them at a lower shutter speed to show prop movement (blur). Also, most airshow acts don't really have a ton of web-site traffic and it's not like a few photos are gonna' generate any income for them. IMO let them use a few images and be happy with a bit of recognition for your effort.

Yeah, totally agree about the shutter, thanks for the critique! But not bad for the first time shooting an air show I think :) I learned a lot for sure.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jul 02, 2014 13:41 |  #9

I charge $40 per image/per year for social media use(local companies mainly). No one has complained so far. If it was a big company I would be charging more though, for personal I would probably charge just $20.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 02, 2014 13:58 |  #10

farmerd wrote in post #17007448 (external link)
... this particular airshow was at a small region airport and was free admission......

If that's the case then I'll guarantee that the pilots you saw are getting by on a shoestring budget and were paid little or nothing to perform there. If it were me I'd just let them have the images with a watermark or logo and maybe start building a relationship for possible future business.

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 02, 2014 14:02 |  #11

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #17007452 (external link)
A quick email or phone call to the organizer will clear everything up with what you can and can not do with the pictures. The last show I went to was at a small regional airport, but they had the most rules out of any of them.

I would understand that if it was a free show then you didn't really agree to any rules (as you would by purchasing a ticket). They might be able to restrict your actions while you are there but I am not sure any "rules" they had could be binding on what you could do with your photos after the fact. At least, my assumption has always been that buying and using a ticket was the act where you agreed to the rules regarding commercial use photography (and other rules).

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 02, 2014 14:51 as a reply to  @ MattPharmD's post |  #12

I try real hard not to assume anything anymore. I have been to events that had a few signs posted with the photography "rules" on them as you passed into the events.

to the OP I would probably let the pilot use the photos at no charge. My guess is he will move onto the next guy with pictures as soon as you toss any charges his way.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,140 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 03, 2014 04:17 |  #13

groundloop wrote in post #17007611 (external link)
If it were me I'd just let them have the images with a watermark or logo and maybe start building a relationship for possible future business.

now you're talking - if it were me I'd be sending the pilot some unwatermarked shots gratis & see how things go with a view to getting future access. There's more than one way to be rewarded for your work and getting some sort of ability to shoot is certainly a way to be compensated.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

sas8888
835 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 03, 2014 06:51 |  #14

How about a trade out. Your photos for a little flying time. Get some aerials in

Scott
gripped 5D MkII

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 03, 2014 07:14 |  #15

Trade your pics for air time and shoot even better pics. Fly with him during the next show and see what you can get.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

sponsored links

3,667 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shot an Airshow, one of the pilots wants pics
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.