Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Jun 2014 (Friday) 16:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographer vs. Police

this thread is locked
moose10101
registered smartass
1,678 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Jul 02, 2014 09:43 |  #136

DarenM wrote in post #17006132 (external link)
he didnt want to answer simple questions because he didnt have to...to me..that aggravates the situation.

Well, that statement pretty much boils this incident down to its essence, IMO. Now ask yourself: what else would you agree to do to avoid "aggravating a situation"? Let a police officer search your car? Frisk you? Examine the private communications on your cell phone? Search your house?

Cops who don't know the law can be dangerous. When they become physically aggressive because they don't know the law and can't control themselves, they need to be ex-cops.

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,994 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 02, 2014 12:19 |  #137

Dave3222 wrote in post #17007113 (external link)
Not all videos out there are the same. Read some of the comments.
http://thechive.com …ouchebag-activists-video/ (external link)

Wow.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Maelochs
26 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 02, 2014 12:42 |  #138

Very different scenario, and another very skilled and savvy police officer. That was ... amazing is overused ... exceedingly professional? That is exactly how a police officer should act---always in control of both himself and the situation, reasonable and sensible, protecting his own safety as well as the safety of all citizens---including the one provocatively but legally carrying a firearm.

Seeing how this officer handled a guy with a loaded MP5, it kind of points out the contrast with how the sheriff in the other video responded to a loaded ... camera.

Fun to watch, and gratifying to watch a true professional exercising his craft.

Vmann
148 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 02, 2014 12:47 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #139

He escalates the situation instead of just offering simple information that he detains to just make things worse. You have rights but police have millions of laws on the books that they can press as well. Get arrested jack ass and they will find something to arrest you for, then they will send the statement to the prosecuting attorney within a 24 hour time period and he will probably not take the case... but you just sat for hours in jail, to only be let go. Its great to know your rights better to know when to use the.

All could have been avoided had he just showed some ID and been on his way... Don't tell me he doesn't cause common respectful citizens dont refuse as they feel safer in knowing that police are trying to protect them. For taking his camera, depending on how they pursued this they could view him as failing to identify as a witness and arrest him if that is Texas law and then you do lose your camera as evidence until dismissed or court. Stating a name and year doesn't do much for you if it can't be crossed checked.

Always be open to opinion especially if it's mine!

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 02, 2014 12:58 |  #140

Vmann wrote in post #17007492 (external link)
He escalates the situation instead of just offering simple information that he detains to just make things worse. You have rights but police have millions of laws on the books that they can press as well. Get arrested jack ass and they will find something to arrest you for, then they will send the statement to the prosecuting attorney within a 24 hour time period and he will probably not take the case... but you just sat for hours in jail, to only be let go. Its great to know your rights better to know when to use the.

All could have been avoided had he just showed some ID and been on his way... Don't tell me he doesn't cause common respectful citizens dont refuse as they feel safer in knowing that police are trying to protect them. For taking his camera, depending on how they pursued this they could view him as failing to identify as a witness and arrest him if that is Texas law and then you do lose your camera as evidence until dismissed or court. Stating a name and year doesn't do much for you if it can't be crossed checked.

Judging by the Clint Eastwood wannabe (cop #2), i don't find it unreasonable to think that producing ID would not have harnessed his ego. It's very likely, that the situation could have followed a similar course..even after giving ID.

Kel
Gear

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 02, 2014 13:18 |  #141

Dave3222 wrote in post #17007113 (external link)
Not all videos out there are the same. Read some of the comments.
http://thechive.com …ouchebag-activists-video/ (external link)

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17007426 (external link)
Wow.

I concur, Jake. They do come in all shapes and sizes, don't they?

I love how the commenters put down the .22, as though a .22 is incapable of injuring someone. Lots of people are killed with small-caliber weapons. Just ask the marines and soldiers in WWII what they thought of those puny Japanese .25 caliber rifles.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,994 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 02, 2014 13:20 |  #142

Hey, the M-16 is only 22 caliber when you get right down to it. (of course with about 20 times more powder behind it)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,067 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 02, 2014 13:21 |  #143

I can't imaging what the cop #2 would do if the Photographer was carrying something that looks like an automatic weapon.

I don't get it... why is it so hard for all the Cop's Boss to break down all the rules about Photography to all the junior Cops? They are keep failing.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

DarenM
671 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 02, 2014 13:41 |  #144

ok..one more time and then i am done. The photographer was aggravating the situation when he continued to film with the camera in the police officer's face and on the ruse of being polite gave his name and date of birth but refused any other info on the premise "that he was not required to give that information". How does the police officer know that he is who he says he is with out seeing identification? Just another liberal trying to prove that he is right rather than cooperating with a law enforcement officer. That is it, I am done. :)

Canon 1D MK IV, Canon 1D MK III, Canon 5D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS MK II, 17-40 F4 Canon, 430 EX, Canon A2E, 530EX Canon 1.4 Extender, 580 II, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, (Way too much stuff for an amateur)

Maelochs
26 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 02, 2014 13:45 |  #145

Interesting thread, but as with most threads, no one is going to change his/her own or anyone else's opinion, with facts or persuasion.

I wish every cop acted like the two good cops in these videos ... but there will still be some who think All cops are <fill in the slur>. Ain't humans great?

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 02, 2014 14:17 as a reply to  @ Maelochs's post |  #146

Vmann wrote in post #17007492 (external link)

The arrest you describe would also be illegal and a violation of a person's rights. Also, it would open up the department/officer to legal action as this has been in the courts several times, the cops have a hard time justifying the arrest when they have these situations. Federal law states that they can't seize property (your camera) as evidence if you are not arrested, they don't have a warrent, or their are not exigent circumstances (almost always defined as a national security threat or the expectation you will destroy the evidence). There was no implication in this video that the videographer was or that the cop thought him to be a witness to this crime. Why should I allow a cop to infringe on my rights only because doing so might cause him to retaliate or infringe on them more?

DarenM wrote in post #17007589 (external link)
ok..one more time and then i am done. The photographer was aggravating the situation when he continued to film with the camera in the police officer's face and on the ruse of being polite gave his name and date of birth but refused any other info on the premise "that he was not required to give that information". How does the police officer know that he is who he says he is with out seeing identification? Just another liberal trying to prove that he is right rather than cooperating with a law enforcement officer. That is it, I am done. :)

Assuming you will continue to read this thread. The officer has NO right or law that allows him to know with certainty who every person they encounter is on a daily basis. No law allows him to demand to see ID if the person is not detained for the commission of a traffic offense. This person wasn't driving and thus did not even need to possess any identification. It is important for us to stand up for our rights otherwise they will no longer exist.

I agree, this kind of encounter should never have happened, except I blame the one who actually violated the law - the cop - the same one you keep saying is supposed to protect us from those who break the law is the one who broke it. Who is supposed to protect us from the cops who refuse to follow the law.

I will not be so bold as to compare this to specific causes, but this is not the first time that people have acted in a way where they new is likely to cause an interaction with police simply to call attention to the fact that what they were doing was legal.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 02, 2014 17:16 as a reply to  @ MattPharmD's post |  #147

Haha...above the law. ;)

http://autos.ca.msn.co​m …2b-4859-ab45-9814e53f3a12 (external link)

Kel
Gear

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,955 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 02, 2014 20:54 |  #148

DarenM wrote in post #17007589 (external link)
Just another liberal trying to prove that he is right rather than cooperating with a law enforcement officer.

My amazing psychic powers tell me that this thread won't remain open long if the discussion takes that kind of turn. If I want to see "Just another liberal," I can read the comments section at a news site. But someone should step in here and say that we don't know how this videographer votes. His insistence on his right not to comply with an officer's request sounds more like the exercise of a libertarian principle than a liberal one. Remember, libertarians align themselves with conservatives on some issues, including the desired size and powers of government; and on both attributes, they prefer small. Police officers are representatives of government.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jul 02, 2014 21:43 |  #149

So both want the officers to be small?

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 02, 2014 23:08 as a reply to  @ DocFrankenstein's post |  #150

moose10101 wrote in post #17007123 (external link)
Well, that statement pretty much boils this incident down to its essence, IMO. Now ask yourself: what else would you agree to do to avoid "aggravating a situation"? Let a police officer search your car? Frisk you? Examine the private communications on your cell phone? Search your house?

Cops who don't know the law can be dangerous. When they become physically aggressive because they don't know the law and can't control themselves, they need to be ex-cops.

No, they need more training. Do you really think that those small town deputies have the same level of training as a city cop? I don't.

Discipline him, train him, and if he still doesn't get the message, then maybe he needs to find another line of work.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

sponsored links

20,351 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographer vs. Police
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.