Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 28 Jun 2014 (Saturday) 10:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My stongest photos for my website ?

Nissanfairladyz32
THREAD ­ STARTER
440 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 01, 2014 07:26 |  #31

mannetti21 wrote in post #17004795 (external link)
Personally, I wouldn't group events with products, but that may be just personal preference. I see what you're saying about not having enough image from any one category to create solid categories.

Looking at your Flickr again, I would probably keep things fairly vague for now with categories of Events, Portraits, and Miscellaneous. (If you want to get artsy, I've seen people call the miscellaneous section "Potpourri") IMO, this would let you to focus on marketing to bands, weddings, engagements, etc but still allow you to display some of the other good images in architecture, cars, and products.

I don't think it is a necessarily a bad thing to have a limited selection of image on your portfolio, unless you are hoping to present yourself as something you aren't. I had a discussion with my hired wedding photographer a couple years ago after it turned out to be a complete disaster...to make a long story short, your portfolio should depict the quality of work that you are able to CONSISTENTLY deliver. I'm not saying to avoid showing only your best work, but if your current best in any particular category isn't a "WOW" image, I don't think you should avoid using it.

I understand what you are saying, but you and i both know every photographer is going to use their strongest images on their portfolio weather they are consistent or not.

www.jamesmcguirephotog​raphy.com (external link)
5DIII / 24-70 2.8 ISL / 70-200 F2.8 IsII L / Flash = YN-560 III / YN-565

sponsored links
mannetti21
Goldmember
3,113 posts
Gallery: 117 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 01, 2014 23:01 |  #32

Nissanfairladyz32 wrote in post #17004807 (external link)
I understand what you are saying, but you and i both know every photographer is going to use their strongest images on their portfolio weather they are consistent or not.

I guess what I was trying to say was this...if you aren't consistently good in a particular genre, sports for example, then maybe you should consider not including any sports images in your portfolio. By doing so, you imply to the client that you are capable of offering images of comparable quality on a consistent basis. I'm not trying to being negative in any way, just giving my opinion from the viewpoint of a photographer and client.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Nissanfairladyz32
THREAD ­ STARTER
440 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 02, 2014 05:48 |  #33

mannetti21 wrote in post #17006475 (external link)
I guess what I was trying to say was this...if you aren't consistently good in a particular genre, sports for example, then maybe you should consider not including any sports images in your portfolio. By doing so, you imply to the client that you are capable of offering images of comparable quality on a consistent basis. I'm not trying to being negative in any way, just giving my opinion from the viewpoint of a photographer and client.

Thanks yes i understand, sports is not my strong side, but i feel if you put a little bit of everything it makes you look better then a site full of just people, its clear after seeing a few you know how to shoot people.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 02, 2014 10:04 |  #34

Nissanfairladyz32 wrote in post #17006765 (external link)
Thanks yes i understand, sports is not my strong side, but i feel if you put a little bit of everything it makes you look better then a site full of just people, its clear after seeing a few you know how to shoot people.

its a balance, for sure you want to tout your abilities but the goal of branding yourself is to differentiate. you have to tell people what you can do.

i dont advertise boudior and maternity or kids, real estate, product, landscape yet i get asked all the time if i will do them.

why? because people see my work and they see i'm competent.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

Nissanfairladyz32
THREAD ­ STARTER
440 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 02, 2014 14:21 |  #35

mike_311 wrote in post #17007169 (external link)
its a balance, for sure you want to tout your abilities but the goal of branding yourself is to differentiate. you have to tell people what you can do.

i dont advertise boudior and maternity or kids, real estate, product, landscape yet i get asked all the time if i will do them.

why? because people see my work and they see i'm competent.

That's why id really not wanna advertise anything at all category wise , You should be able to put up the work you like and if people see you can do long exposure, portraits and action, why would you not be able to do real estate ?

I think its either they like your work or they dont, when i look at a photographer, i look at image quality, composition and pp.

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 02, 2014 15:11 |  #36

Taking a quick glance at your site and speed reading through the comments, I would agree with others... I have no idea what you want to shoot.

You need to pick something and perhaps section to completely different sites (?). Maybe one for sports/events/etc and a separate one for weddings.

But looking at it now you seem all over the place.

Also, as someone else said, get rid of the equipment reference. People will tell by your images that you are using quality equipment.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

Nissanfairladyz32
THREAD ­ STARTER
440 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 02, 2014 15:23 |  #37

xchangx wrote in post #17007753 (external link)
Taking a quick glance at your site and speed reading through the comments, I would agree with others... I have no idea what you want to shoot.

You need to pick something and perhaps section to completely different sites (?). Maybe one for sports/events/etc and a separate one for weddings.

But looking at it now you seem all over the place.

Also, as someone else said, get rid of the equipment reference. People will tell by your images that you are using quality equipment.

I am all over the place :oops:

Yeah ill get rid of the equipment lingo.

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 02, 2014 17:40 |  #38

Nissanfairladyz32 wrote in post #17007772 (external link)
I am all over the place :oops:

Yeah ill get rid of the equipment lingo.

Nothing to feel embarrassed about, we all needed direction at some point.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 04, 2014 07:15 |  #39

xchangx wrote in post #17008027 (external link)
Nothing to feel embarrassed about, we all needed direction at some point.

exactly, unless you specialize in web design and marketing, how are you supposed to know?

they same reason the GWCs come off as incompetent so do we when we try to do something outside our specialty, e.g. market ourselves.

there is a huge difference between being able to take really great pictures and being able to run a successful business. there has been tons of research there is a science to successful webdesign and marketing. Ive seen the branding process first hand to know a little how it works and know that i needed someone to hold my hand. I struggled mightily with listening to them and what i thought was best.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

sponsored links

4,669 views & 0 likes for this thread
My stongest photos for my website ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.