Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 02 Jul 2014 (Wednesday) 13:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PP critique: Is the photoshopping obvious here?

chight
156 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jul 02, 2014 13:05 |  #1

I made an ugly mistake with the photoshopping on this, but I'm wondering (hoping) if it only jumps out at me because I know it's there... any thing look off with this portrait to you? As always, any other critique is welcome, too! Thanks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Colleen
Hight Photo (external link)
6D | 70-200 f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8 | Trusty Rebel T3i & kit lenses | And a big wish list...

sponsored links
buphoto
69 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 02, 2014 15:30 |  #2

Colleen,
When I first looked at your image, the first place my eyes went to was the right side of her forehead (I guess it would be HER left side) but then it immediately went to her eye (her left, my right). I cannot stop staring at it. I'm not sure if theres something I should be noticing or if I just like her eyes. haha!

I love this photo though! She is adorable and I really like how the light is hitting her.

Fantastic Job!

Bre :p
Facebook Photo Page (external link)

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 02, 2014 18:08 |  #3

There's a noticeable problem with the forehead.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

p00kienrayray
557 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 02, 2014 19:41 |  #4

Are the baby's eyes slightly overexposed? I'm not sure what's wrong, looks ok to me.

Some cameras, some lenses

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 02, 2014 20:45 |  #5

did you copy and paste her right eye into her left eye?

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,930 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 02, 2014 20:49 as a reply to  @ lilkngster's post |  #6

^^^
Yeah, the eyes look as if one eye is looking slightly in a different direction.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 02, 2014 21:22 as a reply to  @ Sibil's post |  #7

Ya mucked up the shoot, then trying to fix it with PS...I'm trying to figure out how ya screwed up the eye to begin with. :confused:

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

KaylaIveigh
340 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 03, 2014 00:18 |  #8

I personally don't like the sepia tone and the background is WAY too busy.

What do the original eyes look like?

Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 60D | 35mm 1.4 L USM | 85mm 1.8 USM | 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II USM | 600EX-RT Speedlite | Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

eNTiTy
102 posts
Joined May 2014

Jul 03, 2014 04:33 |  #9

Sibil wrote in post #17008382 (external link)
^^^
Yeah, the eyes look as if one eye is looking slightly in a different direction.

That condition is called lazy eye which is not unusual in babies/children. As they grow up, the eye normally correct itself. Of course unless, the OP modified the eye and the baby did not have a lazy eye.

Personally, I think is the hand. It's flatten a little too much at the area below the pinky finger?

Ah yes, I think I see it now. The dark circle around the iris of both eyes are too thick in one area and not the other.

Entity = NTT = Natalie
6D | 40D | 17-35 f/2.8L USM | 24-70 f/2.8L USM | 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | 24-105 f/4L IS USM | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 MkI | 85 f/1.8 USM | 70-210 f/4 (1st gen-can't seem to let it go :o) | 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM

Meercat007
52 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 03, 2014 08:10 |  #10

I'm no expert, but,

My first thought was why her left eye needed to be so dark and the problem becomes clear when its lightened down, there is a thick black line around the eye making it look very deep in the head, the pp is also distorting the bridge of the nose. Though I think the average public wouldn't notice and just see a cute baby.

I would crop the left more tightly to the back of the head to give her face more prominence.

Andy - Editing OK

carlh
571 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 03, 2014 08:58 |  #11

Meercat007 wrote in post #17009078 (external link)
I'm no expert, but,

My first thought was why her left eye needed to be so dark and the problem becomes clear when its lightened down, there is a thick black line around the eye making it look very deep in the head, the pp is also distorting the bridge of the nose. Though I think the average public wouldn't notice and just see a cute baby.

I would crop the left more tightly to the back of the head to give her face more prominence.

thats what I was about to say, the kid's left eye looks oddly shaped to the right, more rounded plus the nose seems to have had a knock on effect.

www.cdhpix.co.uk (external link)

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jul 03, 2014 09:04 |  #12

Left eye - it looks recessed and blackened around the inside of the eyelids.

It's a cute photo, but I'd agree you went too far with that PP, if indeed that's what we're supposed to be noticing.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,707 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 03, 2014 12:25 as a reply to  @ hokiealumnus's post |  #13

I'm guessing it's the dark vertical streak between her right eye and bridge of her nose.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

planet5D
251 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 03, 2014 15:46 |  #14

did anybody hit it yet?

i would say the mistake is not cropping the image a whole bunch, but I don't think that's what you're talking about LOL - there's way too much junk in the background/sides to make this interesting

Light L16: http://lightRumors.co
the premier community for Light L16 owners

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 03, 2014 18:19 |  #15

This is a first time I hear someone copy / pasting an eye ;)

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

sponsored links

3,841 views & 0 likes for this thread
PP critique: Is the photoshopping obvious here?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.