Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Jul 2014 (Wednesday) 21:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thoughts on people using a cut off animals head in photos?

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 02, 2014 21:06 |  #1

So on a Facebook group that I am in someone posted portraits of people doing different poses with a real pigs head. It was covered in either real or fake blood and so were the people holding it. In one a person was holding a knife against it and another they were pretending it was their own head.

What do you guys think of images like this? For me, personally, kind of turned my stomach a bit.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

sponsored links
1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 02, 2014 22:02 |  #2

I don't like it..and neither do i, of a guy standing over a dead bleeding moose/deer, etc(gun in hand). That said, to each their own.

Kel
Gear

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 03, 2014 03:48 |  #3

Good taste, intelligence or even common sense have never been criteria for membership in Facebook. In fact poor taste, stupidity and faulty judgement will help one blend in with the crowd. Substance abuse prior to posting will also help.

Elie / אלי

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 03, 2014 03:55 |  #4

Ratjack wrote in post #17008409 (external link)
So on a Facebook group that I am in someone posted portraits of people doing different poses with a real pigs head. It was covered in either real or fake blood and so were the people holding it. In one a person was holding a knife against it and another they were pretending it was their own head.

What do you guys think of images like this? For me, personally, kind of turned my stomach a bit.

What's wrong with a pig's head, never been to a meat market before? In many countries pig heads are a regular commodity, so I'm not surprised if it were only a matter of time before someone took a photo like that, but I've seen dumber things.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,230 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 03, 2014 05:22 |  #5

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #17008854 (external link)
What's wrong with a pig's head, never been to a meat market before? I

This ^^^ Plus this:

Sooooo sick an tired of hypocrites. Ever had a piece of bacon in your mouth? At breakfast? On a bacon burger? If so, a pig got his head lopped off just for you.

Plus, the people behind it are brilliant - much more than you. You think you're the only ones talking about it? They're the subject of conversation plus getting follows, likes, and plus-one's everywhere. They're getting their name out there much more efficiently than losers who sit in forums and criticize others.

Yep, it's probably in bad taste. But brilliant self-promotion nonetheless.

Website (external link) |

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,824 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 03, 2014 06:04 |  #6

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #17008896 (external link)
This ^^^ Plus this:

Sooooo sick an tired of hypocrites. Ever had a piece of bacon in your mouth? At breakfast? On a bacon burger? If so, a pig got his head lopped off just for you.

Plus, the people behind it are brilliant - much more than you. You think you're the only ones talking about it? They're the subject of conversation plus getting follows, likes, and plus-one's everywhere. They're getting their name out there much more efficiently than losers who sit in forums and criticize others.

There's a lot more to life than being liked on Facebook.

PS, what is Facebook?

I've just caught my wedding vegetables in the flange!!!

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,560 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 03, 2014 07:57 as a reply to  @ john crossley's post |  #7

What is Flickr then...

Where are some naturmorts from past centuries with raw meat and dead animals, which are considered as art and are on display in museums.

But to me people who are posting dead bugs heads as huge staged layers macros and so called "street" photographers taking nothing but strangers heads, like old and disabled people are the same as pig heads dudes. Falls in between creepies with cameras and distasteful giftless photogs.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 03, 2014 08:50 |  #8

I doubt the pig cares, so why should I?

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,400 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 03, 2014 09:32 |  #9

This is a thing on FB now? Yep, I'm glad I never got into FB. So dumb.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,986 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 03, 2014 10:09 |  #10

Mmmmm Soused Hogs face. Delicious. Head cheese, Scrapple... yummy stuff.

Farm boy, and we ate every part.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 03, 2014 18:41 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #11

In fact poor taste, stupidity and faulty judgement will help one blend in with the crowd

Years ago, in a fit of rage from something I saw on the news, I told my kids I was gonna buy a gun and kill all the stupid people in the world.
They responded "Dad, they're aren't enough bullet's to do that"....from the wisdom of my children. ;)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 03, 2014 18:52 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

Thats Facebook to you....its like a digital herpes...LOL! :D

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jul 03, 2014 22:30 |  #13

If you can't get their attention with talent, shock them instead.

That's the way I see this type of behavior.

People often say "wow" about Madonna and Howard Stern. What geniuses, right?

No. The way I see it is that we were doing the same, immature disgusting things with our friends during middle school (making sexual jokes, walking around in wedgie underwear to make friends laugh, farting in someone's face, etc.). The difference is that some people do it in public when they are adults (again, Howard Stern, Andrew Dice Clay...the list goes on) and crowds eat it up because they miss those immature days during the wild ride of puberty.

Some of us grew up and don't need to shock others to get attention.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 04, 2014 01:17 |  #14

Ratjack wrote in post #17008409 (external link)

A rule I like to follow is "don't talk about an image unless I've seen it." And that's being loose and sloppy. I really shouldn't be talking about an image unless I have it in front of me at the time (regardless of whether or not I've seen it before).

So...post or link to some examples, and maybe I'll have something to say. Otherwise, how the heck could I have a valid opinion?

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 04, 2014 09:12 |  #15

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #17008896 (external link)
This ^^^ Plus this:

I have not seen the picture, but I think this short rant misses the point. There is a difference between eating an animal and playing with its carcass in a display of poor taste.

I've worked on farms and I know where meat comes from. Eating meat does not disqualify me from disliking people that mistreat animals, even after the animal is dead. The images sound tasteless to me.

Class prefers to be tasteful over self-aggrandizement. But I guess that was the OP's point, that the images appear to be in bad taste.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links

6,991 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thoughts on people using a cut off animals head in photos?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.