Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 Jul 2014 (Thursday) 00:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3rd party flash with ETTL

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 03, 2014 00:18 |  #1

Hi guys! Whats a nice third party flash that has ettl? It should be able to function as a master and a slave. Something in the vicinity of $300 would be great but id be willing to spend a bit more if needed. I was looking at the phottix mitros+ but thought id get some opinions also. Thanks!

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
pentax1
70 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 03, 2014 00:38 |  #2

The new Godox v860c Ving ETTL is getting great reviews - http://flashhavoc.com …c-ving-ettl-flash-review/ (external link)

losangelino
943 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 03, 2014 00:50 |  #3

$300 can get you a 580ex2 used. But if you're not set on canon there are a few with ettl from yongnuo that might do what you want.

Flickr (external link)
IG: @lensesandwheels (external link)cars | @photomagicology (external link) portraits

holacbz5
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 03, 2014 01:02 |  #4

hi good night

OceanRipple
244 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jul 03, 2014 07:15 |  #5

" .. I was looking at the phottix mitros+ but thought id get some opinions also .. "

The Mitros (Without the +) offers Master & Slave tech etc but using Light/IR communications - like the Canon 580Ex II does.

The Mitros + (With the +) adds Radio Odin & Strato II tech, built-in - as well. Hence the price difference. (I use these in an Odin based setup.)

You need to be clear about exactly what you require. Cheers

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 03, 2014 08:57 |  #6

Love my Odins, control all the flash head functions from the back of the TCU.

Christian.

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 03, 2014 09:55 |  #7

The Godox Ving v860C [LInk] (external link) is still quite newly arrived so no-one has really had the chance to thrash the living daylights out of it yet on a long-term basis. Certainly seems extremely promising though, I definitely like mine a lot. The battery capacity is just brilliant, saves carrying an accessory battery pack and spare batteries to feed it. Works perfectly with either Godox's own radio triggers (FT-16S plus FT-16 or Cells II-C if you need HSS) or the YN-622C, either as stand-alone pair or in conjunction with the new Yn-622C-TX, which I've been testing for a while now (courtesy of Cliveyboy & Yongnuo).

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

AhmedAgbabiaka
27 posts
Joined May 2014

Jul 03, 2014 12:08 |  #8

i love the phottix mitros+. it has every feature of a modern flash, but it comes at premium. i love the fact that it can be updated via usb, supports external power and can control groups from the flash. its the best of both worlds because you can use a flash on camera when you need to. you can control/trigger other flashes if you need to and if you have the odin you can control/trigger your mitros+ and other flashes if you need to.

if you want a flash with that is much cheaper with similar capabilities i would look at the Yongnuo YN568-EX II. It does everything the mitros+ can but it has less power, no usb, no external power and it can't control/trigger other flashes via radio. it can trigger via optic, but no remote control though. that is why i went with the mitros+.

when the Yongnuo YN-600EX-RT is released it should be on par with the mitros+ if not exceeding it. the problem is that is has been delayed (currently 7 months or so).

so if you only need to trigger other flashes via optic and you don't want to go over $300, go with the Yongnuo. You'll be able to get 2 for the same price as 1 mitros+. but if ever want to be able to trigger and control multiple flashes via radio you may want to spend a little extra and go with the mitros+ or the YN-600EX-RT when it is released.

Ahmed Agbabiaka -- Website (external link) -- flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link)
Canon 5kmk3 | Canon 70D | 35mm | 85mm | 100mm | 70-200mm f/2.8 II

treck_dialect
THREAD ­ STARTER
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 05, 2014 02:20 |  #9

Hey guys thank you for the replies.mthe reason why i was looking at the mitros+ is because i was thinking of eventually getting triggers (although not anytime soon). Right now i am using only either a70d and a 7d to trigger my 580exII.

One more thing, will i be able to trigger both flashes optically? Thanks!

well hello
Flickr (external link)

heinimi
127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 05, 2014 03:38 as a reply to  @ treck_dialect's post |  #10

Hi,

I still love my Yongnuo 568EXII. (external link) It has the same options as Phottix Mitros but is much cheaper. All 3 flashes you can trigger by 7d or 70d. Nevertheless a radio trigger like YN-622C-TX w (external link)ill give you much more options.

treck_dialect
THREAD ­ STARTER
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 05, 2014 04:15 |  #11

thanks. i meant can i trigger two flashes at the same time without a trigger?

well hello
Flickr (external link)

heinimi
127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 05, 2014 04:40 as a reply to  @ treck_dialect's post |  #12

Yes, with the camera built-in flash one can trigger 2 or many e-TTL slave flashes. As said before a radio trigger like 622 TX has many advantages. It supports HSS, does not flash itself, is more convenient to use.

Oldschool1948
587 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2012

Jul 05, 2014 09:05 |  #13

heinimi wrote in post #17012467 (external link)
Yes, with the camera built-in flash one can trigger 2 or many e-TTL slave flashes. As said before a radio trigger like 622 TX has many advantages. It supports HSS, does not flash itself, is more convenient to use.

+1 Especially if you place your flashes inside modifiers where you might loose line of sight, where a 622C's radio transmitter eliminates that problem. If you go with 622Cs, you'll need one on the camera and one on each flash.

5DIII Gripped
AD360 | Canon 600EX-RT (x2) | 580EXII | L358
70-200 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 50 f1.8 mk I | Tamron 150-600 G2
Canon Pro-10 Printer | Adobe LR6 | OnOne Raw

treck_dialect
THREAD ­ STARTER
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 05, 2014 09:44 |  #14

ok guys thanks so much. so knowing that i'll eventually get transmitters (which will probably odins since theyre inexpensive) should i just get a mitros+?

well hello
Flickr (external link)

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 06, 2014 11:15 |  #15

Depends really, do you intend to use the on camera flash head as fill along with the others or are you just looking to trigger the others?

I've known folks that hate using flash heads on cameras as a single light source and I've known many that enjoy it. If I were you I'd go for the best of both worlds for an extra $100 over just the flash head, had the Phottix heads been out when I got my Odins this is the way I'd have gone. Add a few more receivers and a few used 550EX heads(seen pop up for $75 occasionally) along with some stands and modifiers/umbrellas and your good to go.

http://www.adorama.com​/PH80377.html (external link)

Of course once you get into spending to get to that level the Cheetah Stand offerings start looking pretty good too.

Christian.

sponsored links

2,745 views & 0 likes for this thread
3rd party flash with ETTL
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.