Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Jun 2014 (Monday) 23:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I hoard photos -- how do you decide which to keep/delete?

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 05, 2014 13:05 |  #31

Luckless wrote in post #17013036 (external link)
I use Lightroom, and make liberal use of the x key. Shooting with a 7D also often means I have 5 or more photos in a string from one long burst. If it is a really interesting bit of action then I will sometimes gather the photos and make a gif, or post them as a single set together. If the continuity of the photos isn't important then I will step back and look at the series to identify a single photo that best captures the entire burst of images.

If I'm simply not happy with any of the photos from the burst, then I'm not at all worried about flagging them all as rejects and moving on to the next burst of images. I still make bad choices, shooting too wide, or deciding that the player positions and framing just really don't work the way I had hoped when I can view them on a full sized monitor.

There is nothing wrong with deleting images, especially digital, if you are not happy with them. Be hard on yourself, think as you process, and decide what works for you, what doesn't, and most importantly WHY something isn't working, especially if you're doing a lot of it.

And this reminds me, I have about 1800 images from last Sunday that I still need to sort and post. If I don't, then the derby girls may lynch me.

That's precisely why I don't delete anything. Once I hit the delete key, that's it. I can't decide why it isn't working, because now it's gone.

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 05, 2014 13:30 |  #32

Clean Gene wrote in post #17013063 (external link)
That's precisely why I don't delete anything. Once I hit the delete key, that's it. I can't decide why it isn't working, because now it's gone.

Well I decide why it isn't working for me, and then delete it.

Of course how I handle my photos also depends on what style of photography I'm dealing with at the time. I mainly do sports photography, and sorting/culling that is far different from when I do macro, portraits, or other styles that generate a lower volume and let me be far more careful and deliberate before hitting the shutter button.

To me hanging on to the vast majority of the photos I can generate at a game isn't worth it. I'll never go back and look at them all, I simply generate far too many to bother with any beyond what I feel are the best from that initial culling.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 05, 2014 13:56 |  #33

Luckless wrote in post #17013105 (external link)

To me hanging on to the vast majority of the photos I can generate at a game isn't worth it. I'll never go back and look at them all, I simply generate far too many to bother with any beyond what I feel are the best from that initial culling.

This is my thinking too. Do you really think you'll EVER sit down again and look at 2000 photos of your dog all taken at the same time/place, with many possibly being out of focus, or having other technical issues? Along with the thousands of other photos of other subjects that you're holding onto?

I cull tons. It's not about storage space, I have 4TB available. It's about the point of keeping all of them. Find the ones that are worth printing, have something special about them, or are favorites for some reason, and cull the rest.

I think the only reason to keep everything from a set is if it's a paid shoot, or if you really think there will be a use for that image down the road, for say a project or something. Otherwise, IMO, it's pointless to keep every click from every shoot just because it's technically correct.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 05, 2014 14:09 |  #34

KirkS518 wrote in post #17013138 (external link)
This is my thinking too. Do you really think you'll EVER sit down again and look at 2000 photos of your dog all taken at the same time/place, with many possibly being out of focus, or having other technical issues? Along with the thousands of other photos of other subjects that you're holding onto?

I cull tons. It's not about storage space, I have 4TB available. It's about the point of keeping all of them. Find the ones that are worth printing, have something special about them, or are favorites for some reason, and cull the rest.

I think the only reason to keep everything from a set is if it's a paid shoot, or if you really think there will be a use for that image down the road, for say a project or something. Otherwise, IMO, it's pointless to keep every click from every shoot just because it's technically correct.

That's a good point, but I'd personally never shoot 2000 photos of a dog at the same time and place to begin with. Maybe if I did, I'd be more inclined to throw away most of my images. But, meh. Whatever works for the person who's doing the shooting. Everyone's got their own reasons.

Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 07, 2014 05:05 as a reply to  @ Clean Gene's post |  #35

I am terrible for taking too many photos and then keeping too many. Storage, both hardware and online storage, is so cheap it makes the temptation to keep everything too easy to give in to.

I have recently started opening up older albums and going back through them for an additional cull. Years ago when I took the photos I thought they were great and worth keeping but it's suprising how many I now see no point in having. Particularly where it's an event I attend on a regular basis such as airshows. Each years pictures of the Vulcan bomber seem better than the last so i'll cull most of them from the older airshow albums keeping only enough that the album still chronicles the whole day.

Pictures of the kids are the hardest, I take far too many and have to be really tough on myself with them as realistically I am not going to want thousands of photos of my son running around in a slightly different outfit. I did go back through all the first year photos a few months back after realising that he actually looks nothing like he did back then so I don't feel the need to keep as many newborn pictures as I had done. Hundreds of photos of a sleeping baby I thought were all keepers at the time are now down to a much more manageable ablum size.

I have found doing this makes me more likely to look back through old photos too as the albums tell the story of the day, holiday, event etc much quicker.

That said I still take too many photos at the time and keep them but perhaps as I will learn to cull at the time in future.

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,615 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 07, 2014 05:46 |  #36

Shake N Vac wrote in post #17016047 (external link)
I am terrible for taking too many photos and then keeping too many. Storage, both hardware and online storage, is so cheap it makes the temptation to keep everything too easy to give in to.

I have recently started opening up older albums and going back through them for an additional cull. Years ago when I took the photos I thought they were great and worth keeping but it's suprising how many I now see no point in having. Particularly where it's an event I attend on a regular basis such as airshows. Each years pictures of the Vulcan bomber seem better than the last so i'll cull most of them from the older airshow albums keeping only enough that the album still chronicles the whole day.

I started a project several years ago scanning in all my old film pictures. Because of that i have become the family archive. Several family members have passed and I have inherited their old pictures. What I have noticed is that pictures of things, air shows, landscapes, flowers, cities, vacation photos, basically stuff have little value and I now only scan one or two of the best. Nobody wants those pictures. It's the pictures of people that remain valuable.

Shake N Vac wrote in post #17016047 (external link)
Pictures of the kids are the hardest, I take far too many and have to be really tough on myself with them as realistically I am not going to want thousands of photos of my son running around in a slightly different outfit. I did go back through all the first year photos a few months back after realising that he actually looks nothing like he did back then so I don't feel the need to keep as many newborn pictures as I had done. Hundreds of photos of a sleeping baby I thought were all keepers at the time are now down to a much more manageable ablum size....

But even people pictures can become too much. I tend to keep a lot more of them even if there might be a technical flaw but still, if I have 20 pictures of someone at a particular event, I'll choose the best few and cull the rest.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,382 posts
Gallery: 159 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 08, 2014 04:22 |  #37

gjl711 wrote in post #17016087 (external link)
It's the pictures of people that remain valuable.

quite right... out of focus ones, badly framed ones, poorly exposed ones, you never know from one day to the next when your last shot of someone is going to turn out to be the last shot anyone took. Best keep 'em.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II (broken), and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 08, 2014 05:49 |  #38

joeseph wrote in post #17018252 (external link)
... you never know from one day to the next when your last shot of someone is going to turn out to be the last shot anyone took. Best keep 'em.

LOL! Well, at least keep them then, until you know that you, or someone else, have the contender for the "last shot" of that person.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 08, 2014 19:01 |  #39

You know, we amateurs have a juggling act to do, and there are no easy answers!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

8,381 views & 0 likes for this thread
I hoard photos -- how do you decide which to keep/delete?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.