Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Jul 2014 (Saturday) 13:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stepping Up. Feedback Please

Bogino
472 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 05, 2014 13:32 |  #1

About 4 years ago I upgraded from a Canon T2i (might even have been a T1i) to a Canon 7D. I quickly became very frustrated with the 7D as it was "too much" camera for me so I reversed course, sold the 7D and went with the 60D which I've been using for nearly 4 years. I'm comfortable with the 60D and understand a lot more about photography now than I did 4 years ago. At this time I'm ready to upgrade from the 60D and am wondering whether those of you that read this would suggest I give the 7D another crack or whether there have been any changes within the past several years that warrant possibly another option. I don't mind going with new or used and I would say my budget would be "generally" in the $800 to $1,400 range. Thank You.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

sponsored links
runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 05, 2014 14:03 |  #2

What's wrong with the 60D?

My Gear

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 05, 2014 14:06 |  #3
bannedBack in 3 months

runninmann wrote in post #17013145 (external link)

Exactly...how are you being held back with your current gear?

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 05, 2014 14:09 |  #4

runninmann wrote in post #17013145 (external link)

:lol::lol: Nothing is wrong with the 60D. Are you suggesting I should just stick with that? I guess part of the motivation is wanting to have a newer more expensive gadget but it that won't make a whole lot of difference in my picture taking then maybe I should reassess. That's why I posted this asking for feedback. Thx.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 05, 2014 14:12 |  #5
bannedBack in 3 months

Bogino wrote in post #17013157 (external link)
:lol::lol: Nothing is wrong with the 60D. Are you suggesting I should just stick with that? I guess part of the motivation is wanting to have a newer more expensive gadget but it that won't make a whole lot of difference in my picture taking then maybe I should reassess. That's why I posted this asking for feedback. Thx.

I suggest that if you are not being held back with your current camera, spend the money on a new lens like maybe an ultra wide or macro. A lens will do much more to expand your photography than a new camera.

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 05, 2014 14:13 |  #6

Well, I'm somewhat like you, but probably more so. Every time I've bought new flashes, lenses or bodies, it wasn't because I "needed" them, it was only because I wanted them.

The reason I asked the question is because knowing what you want to do that your current equipment will not allow you to do helps in providing answers to your question.

My Gear

HaroldC3
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 05, 2014 14:19 |  #7

If you want something new invest in glass...that will hopefully subside your GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) for awhile.

Don't worry, we all have those urges to get newer stuff.

Flickr (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,592 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 05, 2014 14:25 |  #8

What lenses do you currently own?
Why a 7D, and not, f.e., a FF camera like a 6D?

That would give you additional options provided you have some glass to go with it.

Kind regards, Wim

5D Mk II & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & a solitary zoom, OM-D E-M1 Mk II, Pen-F & Panasonic GM5 with 11 primes, 8 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 05, 2014 14:33 |  #9

Unless you have a specific need for a 7D feature (ie. rapid-fire shooting) there's nothing to be gained by switching from a 60D. Chances are your camera body is not a limiting factor, especially when you have a fairly recent model. I say use the money to round out your lens collection, or just save it for a rainy day.

Gear | Flickr (external link)

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 05, 2014 14:35 |  #10

wimg wrote in post #17013185 (external link)
What lenses do you currently own?
Why a 7D, and not, f.e., a FF camera like a 6D?

That would give you additional options provided you have some glass to go with it.

Kind regards, Wim

I current own: Canon 70-300mm L; Canon 70-200mm; Canon 400mm; Canon 24-105mm; Canon 85mm (the less expensive version); Canon 100mm Macro (the more expensive version and lastly Tamron 24-70mm 2.8.

jay125
back in 7th grade
10,596 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 05, 2014 14:50 |  #11

Well you certainly have the lenses covered. What you have in lenses would really benefit from a 6D, if you're interested in FF. It's at the top of your budget, but they are selling for around that, and they are amazing bodies. The 6D doesn't have the fastest framerate (just under 5 frames per second, not much less than your 60D) but it does create stunning images in capable hands. It handles noise exceptionally well, plus, if it re-ignites your passion for photography and will get you out shooting more, then I say do it! Of course thats just me, and many disagree with me.

One other thing...if you don't have to sell the 60D to purchase another body, great! The 60D is an awesome camera and would make an excellent second body if you needed.

feedback

gear list

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,592 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 05, 2014 15:02 |  #12

Bogino wrote in post #17013207 (external link)
I current own: Canon 70-300mm L; Canon 70-200mm; Canon 400mm; Canon 24-105mm; Canon 85mm (the less expensive version); Canon 100mm Macro (the more expensive version and lastly Tamron 24-70mm 2.8.

In that case, I do suggest you have a look at the 6D as well for additional options, as all of your glass will work well with a FF camera.

I don't know pricing in USD for the 6D body, but it may well be a little over the top end of your current budget, especially for a new body. I don't know what the availability of used 6D bodies is - it is a fairly new camera, so probably not too many yet.

I mentioned the 6D because of the own path I ended following: I first got a 350D, followed by 2 400D's, followed by a 40D. Next I got a 5D (MK I) in addition. I stopped using the 40D completely, and got a 5D II not too long thereafter, and never looked back.

Later I did also get a used 1D Mk III, purely for sports photography, which I rarely use to be very honest, as most of my photography does not require a fast camera, or the additional crop factor. It is nice to have it if so required, however.

In short, I think the 60D and the 6D would complement each other nicely, and give you a bunch of additional options you don't have right now. The 24-105 would become a proper standard zoom f.e., opening up new horizons, and the low light capabilities of the 6D are truly awesome. I reckon your lens setup would sing with the 6D, although you would have to get used to it if you have never shot FF before (analog or digital for that matter). And the 60D would always give you that additional crop factor, if and when you need it.

I did shoot film for many years before going to digital, however, that is possibly the only caveat I must offer. I was used to "FF" IOW, which made it a bit of a homecoming for me. Larger and brighter VF, lenses behaving exactly as expected, etc.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

5D Mk II & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & a solitary zoom, OM-D E-M1 Mk II, Pen-F & Panasonic GM5 with 11 primes, 8 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

vertigo235
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 05, 2014 15:23 |  #13

The 6D controls are almost exactly like the 60D too, you would adjust very quickly to it.

Canon EOS 6D EOS 5D Mark III | Apple Iphone 6 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II Speedlite 90EX | Yongnuo YN-468II

Alnitak
152 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 05, 2014 17:01 |  #14

In answer to your actual question, the 7D is kind of "old technology" today. Compared with models released in the last couple of years, ISO performance is old school and not in a good way.

Don't get me wrong, it's phenomenal at its strengths, but I'm not entirely sure the aging 7D is going to be a step up in anything but AF and FPS, and compared with the current 70D the only real gain is in the autofocus system.

If you only shoot action, possibly the 7D would be an upgrade, but really only a lateral move IQ wise. The 7D is attractive because it is (by today's standards) reasonably priced, particularly for a used one. The 70D is a great camera with stupid-fast FPS, three different AF modes, wifi everything, and it can be found at times for the same money as a 7D.

7D is great, really, but it's a targeted camera, for people who shoot action or long-range wildlife/birds. It's Canon's semi-pro action shooter, like the 6D is the semi-pro FF for landscape/events/studi​o. The xxD series excels at being an all-around shooter, and it gets all the bells and whistles the the semi-pro bodies can only dream of, because semi-pro bodies, while great tools, are built on compromise. (because they already have full-feature pro cameras, no sense making a full-feature semi-pro for half the price with all the same stuff)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 05, 2014 18:34 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

Bogino wrote in post #17013157 (external link)

The 7D is an OLDER more expensive gadget.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

sponsored links

2,454 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stepping Up. Feedback Please
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.