Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 Jun 2014 (Monday) 12:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why does Lightroom cost more than Photoshop Elements?

Sin ­ City ­ Stan
99 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 05, 2014 19:48 |  #31

TustinMike wrote in post #16979925 (external link)
Interesting - I was wondering about the timing of this as well - seems like I'm always just a beat behind - I seem to make the leap just before a new version is about to ship  :p

Any intel on when a LR6 might be expected ?

Methinks, unfortunately Adobe will offer LR6 as a subscription only product. Just reading the tea leaves.

Sin City Stan
Canon 6D & 5D3 EF24-70L 2.8 EF17-40L 4.0 EF70-300L 4.0 EF50 1.8
Yongnuo YN-560 II, 565 EX & Canon 430 EX
http://creationsbysinc​itystan.smugmug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
TustinMike
Goldmember
3,690 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 05, 2014 21:39 |  #32

Sin City Stan wrote in post #17013611 (external link)
Methinks, unfortunately Adobe will offer LR6 as a subscription only product. Just reading the tea leaves.

Thanks, will stay posted.

Mike

All New Year, All New Sig !

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,472 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 06, 2014 03:34 |  #33

Sin City Stan wrote in post #17013611 (external link)

Maybe those are Mary Jane leaves. Adobe spokesman Thom Hogarty has stated:

Q. Will Lightroom become a subscription only offering after Lightroom 5?
A. Future versions of Lightroom will be made available via traditional perpetual licenses indefinitely.

http://blogs.adobe.com …omjournal/autho​r/thogarty (external link)

Of course "indefinitely" does not mean "for ever" or "always". It means that in the real world the possibility of change always exists and promising that there will be no change in Adobe's policy regarding LR would be misleading, but it also means that at present the policy remains as it has been in the past. So making predictions on the basis of "tea" induced paranoia seems irresponsible.

Elie / אלי

Rolfe ­ D. ­ Wolfe
484 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 06, 2014 08:13 as a reply to  @ post 16982250 |  #34

It is obvious the OP has never used LR.

There is no way you could ever think that Elements is better then LR, when in fact they are totally different for what they are.

I have had PS since 2006 and I am quite comfortable with it. So much so, that I can move people around within an image if need be(depending on the image).

I only got into LR in the last 2 years or so as I progressed with photography.

I never had ELEMENTS as I always had the full Adobe suite.

Lightroom is the tool for image editing/organization. The non destructive editing and batch abilities alone are well worth it.

Support the forums - donate here

rfe777
THREAD ­ STARTER
81 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 06, 2014 08:53 |  #35

Rolfe D. Wolfe wrote in post #17014320 (external link)
It is obvious the OP has never used LR.

There is no way you could ever think that Elements is better then LR, when in fact they are totally different for what they are.

I have had PS since 2006 and I am quite comfortable with it. So much so, that I can move people around within an image if need be(depending on the image).

I only got into LR in the last 2 years or so as I progressed with photography.

I never had ELEMENTS as I always had the full Adobe suite.

Lightroom is the tool for image editing/organization. The non destructive editing and batch abilities alone are well worth it.

If you like PS so much then why did you start using Lightroom in the first place?

Sony A6000, Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm f/4 ZA OSS, Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS , Sigma 19mm f/2.8 DN

Rolfe ­ D. ­ Wolfe
484 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 06, 2014 10:19 |  #36

rfe777 wrote in post #17014379 (external link)
If you like PS so much then why did you start using Lightroom in the first place?

Because I quickly realized that PS, despite all it's power, is cumbersome for day to day image editing/organizing/arc​hiving.

The workflow is just different(although with the latest PS editions, you can change the workflow mode and it will bring forward the tools best suited for that job i.e. photography, 3d, digital.)

I am a fan of both, and still have both on my computer, but I only use PS now for serious pixel editing or editing that would be to time consuming or cumbersome in LR. That is rare, so I only really use LR.

It does everything I need it to do. I can correct WB/Highlights/shadows/​contrast/brightness/ sharpness etc

I can remove artifacts. I can add and edit my watermarks. I can use gradients. Crop. Resize.

I can use filters for effects. I can do lens corrections and CA/vignetting corrections.

Leaves little untouched really.

Now If I wanted to take a photo of mine and turn it into an oil painting that would be hard to distinguish from a real oil painting, then i'd obviously use PS for that.

Canon EOS 5D EOS 550D / EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III USM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | Yongnuo YN560 | Canon Speedlite 420 EX

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 06, 2014 10:35 |  #37

Rolfe D. Wolfe wrote in post #17014473 (external link)
Because I quickly realized that PS, despite all it's power, is cumbersome for day to day image editing/organizing/arc​hiving.

The workflow is just different(although with the latest PS editions, you can change the workflow mode and it will bring forward the tools best suited for that job i.e. photography, 3d, digital.)

I am a fan of both, and still have both on my computer, but I only use PS now for serious pixel editing or editing that would be to time consuming or cumbersome in LR. That is rare, so I only really use LR.

It does everything I need it to do. I can correct WB/Highlights/shadows/​contrast/brightness/ sharpness etc

I can remove artifacts. I can add and edit my watermarks. I can use gradients. Crop. Resize.

I can use filters for effects. I can do lens corrections and CA/vignetting corrections.

Leaves little untouched really.

Now If I wanted to take a photo of mine and turn it into an oil painting that would be hard to distinguish from a real oil painting, then i'd obviously use PS for that.

Good reply.

I'd just like to add that you can do all of that plus as many variations you want of the same image without ever needing to create a jpeg or TIFF. My data drive use is a fraction of what it was using an ACR to TIFF, edit in PS, create a sRGB jpeg for online sharing workflow.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 06, 2014 11:06 |  #38

I've been working with lightroom since version 2 (and 3 + 5), and recently upgraded to LR5.5 with a CC subscription. Even though I don't use PS daily, I use it enough for the $10 a month, because Lightroom works well for me, but I still like the power of photoshop for some special images.

Eitherway, I REALLY like the new mobile sync feature. I just narrowed down a band shoot of ~200 images to 54 shots. Put them in a collection turned on sync and shared it with the band.
I meet with them, do some more picking, flagging and dropping. It's very easy to do alternative processing and it all syncs back to the collection in my catalog (which is made up of virtual copies so I can't mess anything up).
On top of that, adobe allows sharing of the online set so they see a nice gallery of the shots to look at them before we meet. The only miss in this is that you can only share publicly and not set a password or email invite. I really hope they change that. These are by no means sensitive shots, but I can imagine people not liking the fact that it's just a link that's needed.

All in all it really makes the workflow a lot better, especially on projects where you want to give the option of working together on editing and post processing.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 06, 2014 11:28 |  #39

Lightroom vs photoshop is hammer vs screwdriver. Two radically different tools that kind of sort of almost do similar things. (Both the hammer and screwdriver will set fasteners in place and finish a product, but they do so in different ways.)

Lightroom is a work flow focused program that is best suited if you deal with any volume of photos, and by far the most powerful aspect to it is its keywording and data management flow, while bundled with a non-destructive editing and adjustment tools. In just an hour or two I can easily process thousands of images from a set of sports games, select which ones I like, adjust colour, contrast, etc, label each photo with who is in them, where it was taken, what it is about, etc, and then at the end push that data to publishing outlets.

During that work flow I can still pull the image into a different tool rather seamlessly, photoshop, elements, or some other graphical editor, make my changes there, save, and then jump straight back into the LR workflow.

But the REAL power of Lightroom comes from investing the time and effort into adding solid and unique keywords to each photo that accurately describe its contents, and then going back to find specific photos. Shoot a lot of photos for some group or organization who are having an awards banquet next week, and were just told that 'so and so' is up for a lifetime achievement award? Pop into Lightroom, click your root folder, open the the advanced filter tool: 3+ star images, keyworded with "so and so" or "so and so's company".

Bam! The dozens of photos from the past five years that you've taken of them. ctrl+a, ctrl+shift+e, select the ultra small preset, pick dropbox folder, drum your fingers on your keyboard for a minute, open dropbox, share to email... And now you've just sent all those photos off to the head of the awards committee after five minutes of work.

The next day you open your email, read the three or four file names they selected. Fire up Lightroom again, grab those images, possibly pull into Photoshop for detailed editing, colour balance, fiddle with settings till you're happy, ctrl+a, ctrl+shift+e again, select your highres export preset, select the drop box sub folder you've already linked to the head of the awards committee. While they're exporting and uploading you open up your email again, reply to them to give them the heads of up that photos are on their way (Possibly attaching your invoice), and now you've done with less than an hour or two of work something that could otherwise have taken days or weeks of sorting and planning to achieve.

For me, all photos go into Lightroom libraries. Some photos get passed through photoshop on their journey to being publicly viewed, but the last bit of imaging software to touch them before I'm done processing is still Lightroom.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,832 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 07, 2014 14:59 |  #40

Lightroom is a raw conversion tool with asset management - many people who use it want it to become a pixel editing tool so they do not have to use Photoshop or Elements at all in their workflow.

You cannot combine two or more images in LR. You cannot use channels in LR. You cannot use other color spaces in LR other than RGB spaces that LR permits you to access. You cannot create masks in LR other than simple shapes or "Auto" masks, even when you are using local adjustment tools. Etc.

The right tool for the job. If you are processing many images and need DAM, LR is a good option. If you need to perform image processing beyond raw conversion and basic retouching, you may need to consider an image editor. Sure, you can edit out objects in LR but it is really not designed for the level of cloning and retouching that the motocross image demonstrated. As you add more and more local edits to your image, depending upon your system, the non-destructive nature of those edits can completely bog down one's machine.

If you are trying to decide between the two, LR retails for under $150 and Elements is usually less than $100. That seems pretty reasonable for a flexible and complete image editing workflow, if that is the route you choose.

kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links

5,171 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why does Lightroom cost more than Photoshop Elements?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.