Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 Jul 2014 (Sunday) 10:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Prices?

Rolfe ­ D. ­ Wolfe
484 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 06, 2014 10:59 |  #1

Good morning everyone,

I know this has probably been covered 1000 times. The sticky about prices seems to be more about selling your images to vendors or companies etc.

What I want to know is-

I am a hobbyist by nature. I would like to cross over at some point to paid shoots. Simple stuff like engagement sessions, holiday cards etc.

I have shown people my work and I have had a few requests to shoot peoples kids with their pets and stuff like that.

I know im slacking, because I do not have a website, just my flickr. I figured I would not really advertise or promote myself until I had an official website so people could be directed there.

So my questions is...

when the time comes, how does one go about pricing?

Like for example...a friend was curious about me taking pics of her two kids with their family dog......so im assuming she only wanted an image or two...

I know it would vary by package but would you even offer a package or just the one or two images?!?!

Should I just charge for the time!??!

It's confusing haha.

So i guess im looking for advice on how to go about pricing thats fair considering I am no pro and just looking to help people out here and there....

Canon EOS 5D EOS 550D / EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III USM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | Yongnuo YN560 | Canon Speedlite 420 EX

sponsored links
rivas8409
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 06, 2014 12:26 |  #2

A quick google search will yield you plenty of results with basically the same input you're going to get on here. Essentially price for what YOUR time is worth and the profit you want to make AFTER all your expenses (which I think is where most people get hung up).

Here's a bit of reading for you: http://www.themodernto​g.com …rs-pricing-guide-overview (external link)

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 06, 2014 14:51 |  #3

I do not intend to judge your work at all, but from what I do see on your flickr (a few pages at least), I don't see anything resembling photos of people that are salable. I see some underexposed candids, but nothing like what it sounds like you're considering taking money to do in a professional capacity. I mention this because if you do have more people-shots, share them, get critique. Get really really good at shooting people before charging.

I can say that I built my portfolio shooting friends and family at parties and get-togethers. It was enough to land a few low-paying low-stress gigs. I think I charged $20/hour at this point--ridiculous, but it allowed me, again, to build a portfolio that then landed me larger weddings.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Rolfe ­ D. ­ Wolfe
THREAD ­ STARTER
484 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 06, 2014 20:58 |  #4

rivas8409 wrote in post #17014684 (external link)
A quick google search will yield you plenty of results with basically the same input you're going to get on here. Essentially price for what YOUR time is worth and the profit you want to make AFTER all your expenses (which I think is where most people get hung up).

Here's a bit of reading for you: http://www.themodernto​g.com …rs-pricing-guide-overview (external link)

Thanks dude. I'll give that a read.

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #17014916 (external link)
I do not intend to judge your work at all, but from what I do see on your flickr (a few pages at least), I don't see anything resembling photos of people that are salable. I see some underexposed candids, but nothing like what it sounds like you're considering taking money to do in a professional capacity. I mention this because if you do have more people-shots, share them, get critique. Get really really good at shooting people before charging.

I can say that I built my portfolio shooting friends and family at parties and get-togethers. It was enough to land a few low-paying low-stress gigs. I think I charged $20/hour at this point--ridiculous, but it allowed me, again, to build a portfolio that then landed me larger weddings.

I actually have a ton of stuff from parties and get together as well but I don't share them because they're mostly children and haven't gotten the parents permission.

I also did one shoot before of kids for holiday card and everyone was happy with the results. It was free of course.

Thanks for the advice though!

Support this site - donate here

djphotosyd
90 posts
Joined May 2014

Jul 07, 2014 04:07 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Not that I get it much now ( thankfully) but when I started out a long time ago, lots of people were interested in having their kids/ pet/ garden / party photographed.

The problem was, no matter what price you put on it, they always thought it was too much and werent expecting it to be so expensive. So expensive was repeatedly demonstrated not to cover fuel and a minimum hourly wage let alone film and processing costs.

Personaly I hate getting asked about this sort of work because you know damn well only 1 enquiry in 100 IF you are lucky has a chance of coming off. These days it's probably harder because the minute you want to charge any more than about gas money, suddenly people are happy to take their own pics or know someone with a camera.

Not meaning to rain on your parade but rather give you a heads up on what to expect.
People seem to mean well in giving you some work but when it comes to paying for it, suddenly they go from it being something they want to something they have to think about and get back to you on but basicaly never do.

I think that's why unless people hire a full time/ established PT shooter to do these things, they really never get done.

Overread
Goldmember
2,197 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 07, 2014 04:54 |  #6

Part of the problem you describe djphotosyd is sometimes generated from targeting friends and family with early advertising to get work. The problem with that market is that when you're starting out they don't view you as a professional - you're just that friend/family member who has a big camera. So they don't expect to suddenly pay for what a week or two ago you'd have given them for free - they don't expect to pay full price because you're family/friend - and they've no idea what so ever as to how much it costs to do business so when you charge full rate they think its all profit.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

-ribery-7
400 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 07, 2014 05:23 |  #7

I try to give you an advice :)
For me it looks like that your focus in photography was not the people-photography, right?
This will be for you a new challenge because Street- oder Landscapephotography is totally different to the Peoplephotography.
I was in the same situation....so I talked to some friends of mine who are also hobbyphotographers..."​what can I charge for this job?"
I looked on the websites of other photographers because there thy sometimes tell their prices.
Here in germany for example you pay about 130 - 200€ and get ca. 3 retouchend pictures of an Baby- or familyshooting...
But you are in a situation where it's very hard for you to estimate your skills in peoplephotography, because your focus was more on landscape, wasn't it?
So, my advice is...if someone asks you to take pictures of him, his kid(s), dog or whatever...say to him/her that you will do it for free, because first you need to practice and do your experiences in this area.
And after the first, second, third etc. shooting, when you have the feeling that you are experienced enough, charge money....not the "regular marketprice"....maybe "the half" or a third....

That was the way I did it....and I also asked if I could publish the pictures on my website and facebook because this could be a good publicity for me....
And when you recognize that the enquiries are getting more and more, go and raise your prices ;)

FB (external link) / HP (external link) / INSTAGRAMr (external link)

battletone
503 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 07, 2014 07:15 |  #8

-ribery-7 wrote in post #17016064 (external link)
I try to give you an advice :)
For me it looks like that your focus in photography was not the people-photography, right?
This will be for you a new challenge because Street- oder Landscapephotography is totally different to the Peoplephotography.
I was in the same situation....so I talked to some friends of mine who are also hobbyphotographers..."​what can I charge for this job?"
I looked on the websites of other photographers because there thy sometimes tell their prices.
Here in germany for example you pay about 130 - 200€ and get ca. 3 retouchend pictures of an Baby- or familyshooting...
But you are in a situation where it's very hard for you to estimate your skills in peoplephotography, because your focus was more on landscape, wasn't it?
So, my advice is...if someone asks you to take pictures of him, his kid(s), dog or whatever...say to him/her that you will do it for free, because first you need to practice and do your experiences in this area.
And after the first, second, third etc. shooting, when you have the feeling that you are experienced enough, charge money....not the "regular marketprice"....maybe "the half" or a third....

That was the way I did it....and I also asked if I could publish the pictures on my website and facebook because this could be a good publicity for me....
And when you recognize that the enquiries are getting more and more, go and raise your prices ;)

This is what I did basically. Some free work to build a portfolio and then just start asking for money. However, usage on the site for the portfolio is not even an option when starting...when you are doing it for free and to build the portfolio that's not even negotiable. Once they are paying you, then if they don't want it used for promoting you on your site, charge a lot more to agree not to use the image in any commercial setting (since the online portfolio is considered commercial from what I have read). since your portfolio is very valuable to you I wrote my contract to require 3x the rate.

Cameras: 5D Mark IV, EOS 3, Elan 7
Lenses:15mm 2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200L II IS
Tripod: Gitzo GT2531, Arca-Swiss Z1, RRS PC-LR
Lights: Photogenic PL1250 x2, 1500SL x1, Canon 580ex, YN 568ex II

KaylaIveigh
340 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 07, 2014 10:56 |  #9

Until you can show a consistent portrait portfolio (on Flickr, FB, or website) I would take the shoot as practice and shoot it for free. I still shoot for free sometimes if it's for portfolio building. A lot goes into taking photos of people; you need to be able to confidently direct them, pose them, and make them feel comfortable to get the most natural smiles and emotions. You may know how to use your camera, but the clients experience, and final product is just as important.

Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 60D | 35mm 1.4 L USM | 85mm 1.8 USM | 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II USM | 600EX-RT Speedlite | Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

1,117 views & 0 likes for this thread
Prices?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.