Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 19 Jun 2014 (Thursday) 03:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Leaving for Africa on Monday :)

Aus.Morgo
THREAD ­ STARTER
561 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 20, 2014 04:47 |  #16

buddy4344 wrote in post #16981383 (external link)
Say hello to Guts, Killer and Shah at Pangolin for me. Great guys that will put you in position for great shots.

My only advice is to keep the camera battery charged and download the card every day. Good luck and have a great trip.

Thanks. I've heard lots of good things about Pangolin, really keen to get on the boat and in the bunker.

I have a couple HDD's I'm taking and a small laptop, the plan is copy off the cards every evening onto both HDD's so I have a backup should the worst happen to one HDD.

Gear List

sponsored links
Gbgb
447 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 20, 2014 06:26 as a reply to  @ post 16982978 |  #17

You have a bloody good time, it looks like you have done your research, the vehicle looks great. Everything from here out is part of the adventure!

Thanks for the comment on the pics, post some of your's asap!

Have a great trip!

gb From GB
flickr (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/graham.bamber.7 (external link)

Aus.Morgo
THREAD ­ STARTER
561 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 20, 2014 08:29 |  #18

buddy4344 wrote in post #16981387 (external link)
That weight limit is a joke. I've never been under 30 pounds with my camera gear to Africa ...even using the lightweight Gura Gear bags. Luckily, airlines seem to not mind as long as you have a soft bag and don't look like you are carrying a ton of bricks. Funny thing is that if you dare carry the pelican case (about 11 pounds empty), they will often make you gate check it.

Yeah it really is. Even with the Gura Gear Bataflae 32L I'm using there is 2kg gone just with the bag. Not to mention the 200-400 with its lens coat gear probably weights around 4kg.

Hopefully since I'm tall I'll make the bag look smaller :)

Gear List

gromeo
981 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 20, 2014 20:37 |  #19

Aus.Morgo wrote in post #16982918 (external link)
Thanks mate, did you use the speedlite much? Its something I've been planning on taking but have read mix reviews of people taking them and not using them. Seeing as I need to cut down the weight a little...

Only used speed lite for some indoor shots in the veterinary labs and for a couple of bush babies outside of the house we were staying at.

Nikon D4 and 60 2.8D Micro, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G VRII, 200-400 VRII, SB800, SB600, Pocket Wizards, 4x WL-1600, Quantum Turbo 2x2, Sekonic 358 meter, TT AS, Takeoff, Belt System
http://rguzmanphoto.ph​otoshelter.com/ (external link)
http://www.romeoguzman​photography.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/rguzman (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,096 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 20, 2014 21:44 |  #20

When I was in Namibia and Botswana, including Chobe, I don't think I ever got around to using a flash.

Some weight saving ideas, are to pack enough CF cards to not need to download, large chargers like the 1D4 charger in checked bag (risky I know) and anything you can possibly spare in the checked bags.

I took my 500mm prime and the 100-400mm was on a 2nd body the whole time. With the new 20-400mm, that kills both those birds with one stone. Very handy. I also packed my 70-200mm, only used it once, but again, that was due to the 100-400mm being glued to my old 1D2.

Have fun man! Trip of a lifetime indeed!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,096 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 20, 2014 21:48 |  #21

Some tips:

You'll hate me for this one, You'll really wish you had all that gear in a rolling carry on, as opposed to a back pack.

Pack in your checked bag a small shoulder bag to keep your odds and ends handy. Keep it small enough to be on your lap or at your feet in the backy.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
20,869 posts
Gallery: 1926 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Jun 20, 2014 22:57 |  #22

Just got back from 3 weeks in s.Africa We too rented a LR but a more cushy model to get us from place to place. Used Shindzela in the Tamboti abutting Kruger for 5 days, then 3 days in the Tembe Elephant park..the other time spent just tooling around a circle from Jo-burg, Panaramo Route, the two safaris listed above, then the coast/St.Lucia, the Draks (Royal Natal NP and Golden Gate Highlands NP) then back to Jo-burg.
I too read about the weight restrictions before flying out and simply had 20 pounds of photo gear in a BigPocketsVest...durin​g boarding SAA noticed no bags were being weighed and no count of actual bags carried on the person. But with us thinking the weight limit would be rigidly enforced we did keep the carry ons to 18 pounds or less; even out checked luggage was less than 28 pounds per person (including the luggage itself), we come from a backpacking background and get by with little clothes though we took and used down parkas and down pants (cold cold cold in the highlands even in an African winter, and s.Africa dwellings dont have central heat like here in the US).
Took a laptop too. Fed the pics into it off the cards nightly, then backed them up to an external HD, formated the cards for the next day.
Most used lens, the 300 2.8 + 1.4 TC after the sun came up strong, without the TC at the beginning of each days ride through the preserve.
Also took the Tam 150-600. It's a great lens too just for different purposes. There is no way it could have grabbed this little guy:

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5594/14374818303_d549622974_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …icineman4040/14​374818303/  (external link)
African Barred Owlett (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr
Many hear at POTN have done multiple trips to the continent, me the noob can only offer one piece of advice--lay the camera down once in a while and just take in where you are.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

Aus.Morgo
THREAD ­ STARTER
561 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 21, 2014 01:13 |  #23

Mybludog wrote in post #16982931 (external link)
Must be something in the air with Aussie's going to Africa. My wife and I are off in 2 weeks for 24 days. Bags already packed.

I understand what you're going through Aus.Morgo with regard to the weight, but there's 2 off us to share.

We've been told 15kg MAX per person including my camera gear...............

I'm taking a 5d3 and 7d bodies and a 300 2.8, 150-600 Tammy, 70-200 2.8, 24-105 +1.4 convertor. That's 16kg worth and only leaves 14kg for our clothes etc.
I'm not worried about SAA out of Australia but more the small planes from Maun into the camps in Botswana and from Nairobi into the Mara and Serengeti etc

I'm going to have the 300 on the 7d in a Lowepro for the wife to carry and I've got a Tamrac 6x for the rest.
Just hope it works out ok.
Leaving Monday........you won't sleep all weekend lol

Have a great trip

Thats a tough weight limit, helps having two people thats for sure. My last trip overseas was a family trip so I had plenty of carry on allowance, this trip is certainly a lot harder :)

Sounds like your all set mate, hope you have a great time from another Newcastle member :)

Gear List

Mybludog
297 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Jun 21, 2014 03:30 |  #24

Haha. It's a small world.
Have a bloody great time mate. Maybe we can catch up for a beer down the track and share some war stories.

Enjoy

Just like a dung beetle......russellpringlephotogra​phy (external link)
@russellpringlephotogr​aphy

Aus.Morgo
THREAD ­ STARTER
561 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 22, 2014 07:35 |  #25

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16984594 (external link)
When I was in Namibia and Botswana, including Chobe, I don't think I ever got around to using a flash.

Some weight saving ideas, are to pack enough CF cards to not need to download, large chargers like the 1D4 charger in checked bag (risky I know) and anything you can possibly spare in the checked bags.

I took my 500mm prime and the 100-400mm was on a 2nd body the whole time. With the new 20-400mm, that kills both those birds with one stone. Very handy. I also packed my 70-200mm, only used it once, but again, that was due to the 100-400mm being glued to my old 1D2.

Have fun man! Trip of a lifetime indeed!

I don't think I'm going to end up using the flash too much, still threw it in just in case.
I've managed to keep by checked bag under weight which was a surprise even though I've had to put all the chargers and spare batts in there, might change this up in the morning to have one 5d/7d charger in the carry on.

The Gura gear bag is pleasantly comfortably even with 14kg in it :)

Gear List

Aus.Morgo
THREAD ­ STARTER
561 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 22, 2014 07:36 |  #26

Mybludog wrote in post #16984900 (external link)
Haha. It's a small world.
Have a bloody great time mate. Maybe we can catch up for a beer down the track and share some war stories.

Enjoy

It certainly is! Sounds like a plan mate :)

Gear List

mmackwan
52 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 07, 2014 01:40 |  #27

Have a great time Aus.Morgo

1D MK IV,7D Grip, 24-105mm f4, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, 500mm f4 IS II, canon 580 & 430 EXII

awardticket
285 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 07, 2014 23:26 |  #28

200-400 wow! Awesome piece of glass to be taking along I am sure it will do the trick!

Gbgb
447 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 10, 2014 14:49 as a reply to  @ awardticket's post |  #29

Not sure if you've left yet. We have been in SA for 6 days leaving tomorrow. Its been an awesome trip. The 200-400 is VERY restricted here, lots more bush than Kenya, so hard to use to its best. BUT when it did come in it shone!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

gb From GB
flickr (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/graham.bamber.7 (external link)

Aus.Morgo
THREAD ­ STARTER
561 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 17, 2014 20:05 |  #30

Cheers guys,
I arrived back home last night, had a great time :)

Gear List

sponsored links

5,431 views & 0 likes for this thread
Leaving for Africa on Monday :)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.