Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 07 Jul 2014 (Monday) 09:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoflex vs. Photogenic

Louis ­ solomon
70 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 07, 2014 09:35 |  #1

I'm looking at two 60" umbrellas and would appreciate advice from those who have experience with either/both.
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …vertible_Umbrel​la_60.html (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …brella_Eclipse_​White.html (external link)

The Photoflex has fiberglass ribs which I've read are less prone to damage than the metal ribs of the Photogenic. But the Photogenic has a covering over the ribs to minimize the appearance of the ribs. I've also read that the Photogenic white is actually an off-white color.

I'll be using this for portraits. How easy/hard is it to remove the black covering to convert both to shoot through mode? B&H has a $15 rebate on the Photoflex which expires today.

Thanks All!

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 07, 2014 12:45 |  #2

Both are excellent. I own and use both types in different sizes. I like the durability of the Photoflex and especially the quality of light from their fabric. It is a subtle difference but noticeable. The Photogenic feature is very smart and makes a difference for catch lights in eyes and other reflections in product photography. However, this depends on how close they are and how big they appear in the image. If you are the type of photographer that dislikes ribs in eyes and reflections, then you may want this feature.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

488 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoflex vs. Photogenic
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.