Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Jul 2014 (Thursday) 15:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Creative Cloud Photography plan for $9.99?

HungryWriter
317 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 03, 2014 15:28 |  #1

Is the Creative Cloud Photography plan for $9.99 a month worth it? Hmmmm...

I use Aperture 3.0, Gimp and NikCollection...

Do I want to start using Lightroom and PhotoShop with Nik?

Is this the full version of both PhotoShop and Lightroom or a 'photography' scaled down version of PS?

[Canon SX200IS] [Canon SX170IS] * [Canon Rebel EOS T1i] [Canon Speedlite 420EX] [EF 35mm f/2.0] [EF 50mm f/1.4 USM] [EF 85mm f/1.8 USM] [EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens] [EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens] [Giottos MTL Tripod]
*Visit my DadWithAPen Blog (external link)*

sponsored links
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 03, 2014 15:34 |  #2

I use Photoshop and Lightroom with nik all the time. It's a great combination with both packages. I don't know anything about your last question but I would assume they work the same.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,859 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 03, 2014 15:55 |  #3

HungryWriter wrote in post #17009799 (external link)

If you're just getting into PS then probably. However, you will lose access to the program if/when you quit paying.

HungryWriter wrote:
Is this the full version of both PhotoShop and Lightroom or a 'photography' scaled down version of PS?

Yes. The only "scaled down" version Adobe offers is Photoshop Elements.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 03, 2014 16:11 |  #4

I suppose it depends. Is there anything particularly missing from your workflow with your current software?

I personally use standalone LR and Nik primarily, and go to Gimp when needed. (Have PSE v6, I think, but haven't used it in years.) I don't care for the idea of 'renting' software (especially LR) as I'll forego updating purchasing the latest version if there isn't something compelling (for me.) Of course Photoshop CSx was always out of my price range and tools like content aware fill etc are tempting... so the $10 is attractive... but I still have to consider if $120/1yr $240/2yr $360/3yr is worth it in the long term... and after that period of time and money spent - realizing you don't have the product should you stop paying. For some YES - it's great! Others like me - borderline. Still others who will only get into PS once every month or two, I wouldn't think so. But each must weigh the pros/cons.

I guess it doesn't hurt to try it out for a month or two and see how much usage you get.

*edit* Actually strike that... the subscription for CC isn't month to month - you must commit to a year (Payments are month to month, but if you cancel early, there something like a 50% penalty for remaining time left.)

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,483 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 03, 2014 17:46 as a reply to  @ davidcrebelxt's post |  #5

I don't consider the photography plan of Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC as products but more like a service similar to cable TV or a high speed internet connection. I could get TV over an antenna rather than Fios in my case and I could use a dial-up connection to the internet also instead of Fios but I'd rather pay a fee per month for the benefits of using Fios.

Only the OP can decide if it's worth it to him or not but for me it is. I think the biggest deciding factor would be how often do you use editing software for your photographs. If frequenty, then I'd say yes, it's probably worth it to you. If you only feel the need to shoot jpg's and think they're fine without needing any extra work done on them except occasionally, then using what you already have is probably sufficient.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 04, 2014 07:55 |  #6

I've never seen any value in it for me, but I'm an amateur who doesn't need the power or relative complexity of Photoshop. I use LR5 and Elements 11 and the Nik Collection. They work well together, and I haven't seen anything lacking in that combo for me. I also prefer that I don't have to make the lifetime commitment to those monthly payments, regardless of how small they may seem to be.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 04, 2014 08:30 |  #7

There are many, many threads asking this exact question. Im surprised you haven't seen (or looked?) for them.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 08, 2014 17:00 |  #8

The Creative Cloud Photography plan includes full versions of Photoshop with Bridge and Camera Raw along with Lightroom and the new mobile apps for iPad. At this time, if you have desktop CS4, CS5, or CS6, you can use them to open the Creative Cloud version files to the extent of compatible features. Obviously, some newer features don't exist in older software.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 09, 2014 17:27 |  #9

The 'subscription plan' assumes the user will always be needing to get the latest software version in order to support the most recently purchased versions of Canon and other brand dSLR, AND that one needs the full blown Photoshop...but if that is NOT a valid assumption, the subscription model is unnecessarily expensive!

I have a Canon S95 as my latest camera...going on 6 years now. Under the current CC subscription concept (if it applied for the last 10 years), if I had to pay $10 a month for 6 years, I will have spent $720! If I did the same for the entire period I have owned my 20D then 30D then 40D, I will have paid $960!! Instead, the 'buy as you need' upgrades of LR have cost me $300 total: (coming to LR from RawShooter) $99 each for LR1, LR2, and LR3 -- after which I haven't purchased any newer model cameras forcing the purchase of either LR4 or LR5! Under the discrete version license purchase (not subscription) it would -- at MAX! -- cost me $500.

Gee...that seems to prove the point of the opening paragraph of this post, "the subscription model is unnecessarily expensive!"
OTOH, if I had been paying $300 per upgrade for Photoshop (which I do not need or use), even $960 beats $1500 for Photoshop upgrades during that same period!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,478 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 10, 2014 07:44 |  #10

For those contemplating signing on to the cloud or those who have already jumped, this might be of interest:
http://lightroomsoluti​ons.com/relax/ (external link)

Elie / אלי

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 10, 2014 12:06 |  #11

tzalman wrote in post #17022554 (external link)
For those contemplating signing on to the cloud or those who have already jumped, this might be of interest:

Thanks for the link. I hadn't read about those changes... surprising, actually. And good to know catalog won't be completely locked out @ end of subscription. But doesn't put my mind to rest about the future of LR standalone. :confused:

Even with those changes, I for one won't be continuing my LR journey beyond v5 should subscription be the only way to get updates and perpetual access to develop module.

David C.

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 10, 2014 14:33 |  #12

I've been on the subscription plan for about 6 months now, before that I used DPP and Gimp. Granted, Gimp is quite good (especially considering the price), but Photoshop is far more powerful and does everything faster as well. For me anyway I'm happy giving away $10 each month to keep enjoying my hobby.

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 11, 2014 15:00 |  #13

tzalman wrote in post #17022554 (external link)

Also worth reading is Tom Hogarty's post here:
http://blogs.adobe.com …r-my-membership-ends.html (external link)

As this was just posted yesterday, it seems to confirm that future versions of LR will remain a standalone option, which is a big sigh of relief for me.

David C.

blackgold59
154 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 11, 2014 16:09 |  #14

My suggestion would be to try both for a month, free. Within that amount of time you will know if it's worth it too you or not. Personally for me it is not, for me I view it as throw away money that I could use for something else since I found I do not need everything that photoshop holds.

I run Elements 12 alongside Lightroom 4 which I will most likely upgrade once the new one comes out. There are many work arounds for elements as well for some things that one may like in photoshop as well.

Either way, I think it's only something you yourself will know and realize once you trial both of them. And yes, they are the full versions if going CCP. Also, keep in mind any purchased actions will most likely not run in photoshop if they were purchased for a different program, so that can be a drawback as well.

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 11, 2014 16:29 |  #15

davidcrebelxt wrote in post #17025541 (external link)
Also worth reading is Tom Hogarty's post here:
http://blogs.adobe.com …r-my-membership-ends.html (external link)

As this was just posted yesterday, it seems to confirm that future versions of LR will remain a standalone option, which is a big sigh of relief for me.

Excellent news. If the Cloud sails, leaving standalone LR behind, it will also leave me behind and I'll start searching for another product. ;)

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

sponsored links

4,551 views & 0 likes for this thread
Creative Cloud Photography plan for $9.99?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.