Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jul 2014 (Tuesday) 16:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should I wait for announcement?

wisdom2thewise
127 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 09, 2014 03:47 |  #16

Hold off i say.

Sold my 6d in January and i'm awaiting for Canon's next camera - hoping the 7dii.
In the interim, i'm using a 90's point & shoot film camera and liking the experience of developing both black & white shots from Ilford's HPplus 400 and Kodak's portia 400 35mm films.

Sold my first DSLR & lens = 6D (24-105L) & (40)
Now what prime should i get with the 7d mark ii?...

sponsored links
notastockpikr
427 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 09, 2014 06:44 |  #17

What announcement?? Was there an announcement from Canon about new cameras?? New cameras.....5D IV, 7d II, where can I pre-order??

With all do respect to the OP, time to limit the number of visits to rumour sites. All that you have read is pure speculation with absolutely no basis in fact.

Need a camera, have the funds/cash in hand-->buy the camera you need and can afford.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 09, 2014 06:53 |  #18

Back in January, I had decided to settle in and wait for the 7D2 to be announced in "June". I made it until April then decided the 70D would get me closer to my goal of better birds in flight photos. If and when the 7D2 is announced and starts shipping, I'll make a decision if I need that upgrade or not.

In the mean time, as so many others have posted, I'm enjoying the photographs I'm getting now.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 09, 2014 07:45 |  #19

notastockpikr wrote in post #17020444 (external link)
What announcement?? Was there an announcement from Canon about new cameras?? New cameras.....5D IV, 7d II, where can I pre-order??

With all do respect to the OP, time to limit the number of visits to rumour sites. All that you have read is pure speculation with absolutely no basis in fact.

Need a camera, have the funds/cash in hand-->buy the camera you need and can afford.

Exactly!!!

I can't tell you how many times I waited and waited and waited for new gear that "supposably" was going to be announced and never was. It will drive you crazy. Reading Canon Rumors nearly cost me a trip to the mental ward. :-)

If your looking to buy a camera now, just do it. The waiting game will make you batty.

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

sirquack
Goldmember
2,590 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 09, 2014 08:23 |  #20

I have had my T3i a couple of years and at that point, the conversation was that the 7DII was going to be announced soon. Two + years later, still no 7DII. So buy what you want now. If it is a body you want, in a couple of years you will have a ton of great photos with the bodies that are currently on the market. When the new whiz-bang body does finally show up, save up for it then and by the time you can afford it, the newer whiz-bang body should be hitting the market.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Nick5
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 09, 2014 08:26 |  #21

Chunch.
What features are you really wanting in the upgraded 5D III and 6D?
These are both proven cameras with a feature set built for two different price levels.
Sure many bodies and lenses have significant upgrades in their new release. The 5D Mark III and the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mark II for example.
Like others have said, buy now. How long can you wait and how long are you missing out!

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

hennie
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 09, 2014 08:49 |  #22

If you decide to wait for a next generation product you should reckon with waiting for at least a year AFTER the announcement.
Newly announced products are still not in a shop and are likely to have early-start problems, I would wait at least after the first firmware upgrade before buying. Let "Others" do the unpaid product testing.
Unless you find yourself without gear (stolen, lost or broke).

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,864 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 09, 2014 08:56 |  #23

OP, I went back to look at some of the other posts and you have been asking this question for well over a month now. One of your earlier posts indicated that you sold your 7D to pay the bills so I am assuming that you at the moment are camera-less. If so, are you also lens-less? If so, maybe you want to open the scope of your search a bit more and look at other offerings.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 09, 2014 08:57 |  #24

Wait. If the new tech is great the prices of the old tech will drop more quickly. If not, might be time to bail on Canon anyway.

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,940 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 09, 2014 10:12 |  #25

magwai wrote in post #17020640 (external link)
Wait. If the new tech is great the prices of the old tech will drop more quickly. If not, might be time to bail on Canon anyway.

I just went and looked at 5D2 prices in POTN classifieds. One month before 5D3 was released, the 5D2 was selling for $1900. One month after it was released, it was selling for $1700.

So that's about a 10% drop. Buy a 6D now for $1500, and in September, there is maybe an announcement, which maybe is for a camera that will depreciate your camera another $150, that might be released in November.

So, for somewhere between $0 and $150, OP could be shooting a 6D for the next 5 months, then sell it and buy something else. How does $0-$30/month not make sense for the use of a 6D?

I've had my 1D3 for two years now, and it's depreciated about $200. That's $8/month. For a 1D. Used cameras are a great deal, right now, not just maybe in November.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,864 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 09, 2014 10:18 |  #26

waterrockets wrote in post #17020744 (external link)
I just went and looked at 5D2 prices in POTN classifieds. One month before 5D3 was released, the 5D2 was selling for $1900. One month after it was released, it was selling for $1700.

So that's about a 10% drop. Buy a 6D now for $1500, and in September, there is maybe an announcement, which maybe is for a camera that will depreciate your camera another $150, that might be released in November.

So, for somewhere between $0 and $150, OP could be shooting a 6D for the next 5 months, then sell it and buy something else. How does $0-$30/month not make sense for the use of a 6D?

I've had my 1D3 for two years now, and it's depreciated about $200. That's less than $10/month. For a 1D. Used cameras are a great deal, right now, not just maybe in November.

That's assuming that the release will just be an incremental one. Though the 5DIII was better in nearly all catagories, it's IQ for the most part was not so a lot of us who had 5DII decided not to upgrade.

If the rumored new sensor does come out and if it can live up to the hype surpassing the Exmore or at least matching it, it might be a different story. If the new 7DII can match the 5DIII or 6D in IQ I suspect that there will be a lot of 7D owners selling their cameras. If the 7DII is a 70D with slight improvement feature wise, then not so much so. But with a release so close, unless you really need it waiting to see where things go might be prudent. Come September and no announcement all you've lost is time.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,664 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 09, 2014 10:23 |  #27

waterrockets wrote in post #17020744 (external link)

I've had my 1D3 for two years now, and it's depreciated about $200. That's $8/month. For a 1D. Used cameras are a great deal, right now, not just maybe in November.

gjl711 wrote in post #17020753 (external link)
That's assuming that the release will just be an incremental one. Though the 5DIII was better in nearly all catagories, it's IQ for the most part was not so a lot of us who had 5DII decided not to upgrade.

If the rumored new sensor does come out and if it can live up to the hype surpassing the Exmore or at least matching it, it might be a different story. If the new 7DII can match the 5DIII or 6D in IQ I suspect that there will be a lot of 7D owners selling their cameras. If the 7DII is a 70D with slight improvement feature wise, then not so much so. But with a release so close, unless you really need it waiting to see where things go might be prudent. Come September and no announcement all you've lost is time.

However if the camera is a huge improvement, then the price will reflect that as well, tempering the move of existing customers over.

Given our history on the boards, the absolute best time to pick up an older camera at bottom prices is immediately after the official announcement of a successor. People have a tendency to immediately dump their old cameras and the competition to do so is fierce after a release notice. The prices stabilize and sometimes go back up a bit after the camera hits the shelves, simply due to price deltas, reviews of the product vs marketing hype, issues (the 1D3, 70D, 5D2, T4i, 1Dx, and 5D3 all have had some sort of issue that caused concern amongst the customer base, recalls etc.), and other factors.

If you were in the market for a 7D or 70D, the best time to buy a used one would be on the day of, or a few days after, the formal announcement by Canon of the 7D2. Those prices will be some of the lowest one would see for months after the announcement was made.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,940 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 09, 2014 10:31 |  #28

gjl711 wrote in post #17020753 (external link)

Incremental in the 5D2 landscape/portrait space, but the 5D3 was so remarkable as to have pro sports photographers unloading their 1D4 bodies!

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17020763 (external link)
However if the camera is a huge improvement, then the price will reflect that as well, tempering the move of existing customers over.

Given our history on the boards, the absolute best time to pick up an older camera at bottom prices is immediately after the official announcement of a successor. People have a tendency to immediately dump their old cameras and the competition to do so is fierce after a release notice. The prices stabilize and sometimes go back up a bit after the camera hits the shelves, simply due to price deltas, reviews of the product vs marketing hype, issues (the 1D3, 70D, 5D2, T4i, and 5D3 all have had some sort of issue that caused concern amongst the customer base), etc.

If you were in the market for a 7D or 70D, the best time to buy a used one would be on the day of, or a few days after, the formal announcement by Canon of the 7D2. Those prices will be some of the lowest one would see for months after the announcement was made.

This is all very true, but it's a balance between the economics and the enjoyment of the hobby (or earning in the profession). I'm suggesting that $30/month is not an unreasonable loss if it means that somebody can take much better photos in low light, starting tonight, instead of November.

That said, some people take deal-finding on as much as a hobby as they do photography. There's enjoyment in maximizing value for these folks, so there's a balance. It's just not as simple as one side or the other.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,664 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 09, 2014 10:33 as a reply to  @ waterrockets's post |  #29

I definitely agree, I never understood the "Should I wait for the next camera around the corner" questions. If I have a need for which a current camera can provide a solution, I am getting it. No sense in waiting for the next big thing, you will only lose more money and have lost opportunities if you follow that train of thought. :)

However "deal finding" and buying the camera now that can fit your needs really aren't mutually exclusive, rather they are complementary, right? ;)

It is really a question of "buy now and get a deal, whether new, refurbished, or new" versus "wait for the next big thing and pay full retail for it", I believe.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Aki78
963 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 09, 2014 10:38 |  #30

Even if there was say 6DII and 5DMKIV around the corner I 'may' wait for a slight price decrease for used body and that's about it.

I wouldn't wait, now is probably the best time to buy honestly.

sponsored links

5,509 views & 0 likes for this thread
Should I wait for announcement?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.