Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jul 2014 (Wednesday) 21:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

weird mirror issue????

genesimmons
Goldmember
1,984 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 09, 2014 21:47 |  #1

hi all,i recently took my 60d with rokinon fisheye out for a few shots,i took a few shots in live view and all was well,i switched to normal view for a shot thru the view finder and it made a weird click then totally froze,no functions worked,i had to turn the camera off to reset,i took another pic and same thing,took battery out and tried again same thing,totally freezes and won't do anything till i shut it off,tried a different memory card and same thing,i do have magic lantern installed and when i looked at the menu the lock mirror was checked,i unchecked it and wow all was well again,what i don't get it i didn't have the men card with magic lantern on it in the camera and i would never check lock mirror so i don't understand how this happened,i know u can check and uncheck lock mirror without magic lantern in the stock menu and i know i wouldn't check it as i don't know what its for,haha does anyone know how this could have happened and also what would that feature be for as it seemed to freeze my camera up every shot,thanx

OLYMPUS EM1 M2. 12-100 F4 PRO.75mm f1.8,fisheye f1.8 pro. SONY A7 various manual lenses. FUJI X100
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/100085318@N08/ (external link)

dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 09, 2014 21:54 |  #2

Sounds like Mirror Lock Up , if you press the shutter button a second time what happens ?

David

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,252 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 09, 2014 21:57 |  #3

Mirror lockup is a standard Canon feature that has been there from pretty much the beginning. It is used when you want to minimize camera vibration due to the mirror flying out of the way thus maximizing image sharpness. There are two ways to use it. Set MLU without timer. This is what it sounds like you did. The camera then requires two presses of the shutter. The first sets it into MLU mode and moves the mirror out of the way. Then it waits for you to press the shutter again which will activate the shutter.

The second way is to set MLU and the timer. Then when you press the shutter, the mirror lifts out of the way, the timer runs and at the end, activates the shutter. If you would have waited a time longer the camera will reset itself, or at least let the mirror down.

Here is a picture of what happens when you take a picture without remembering to set MLU. It's of the ISS. The first image is the full size image and the second is a 100% crop of the iss. You can clearly see what the mirror does to the camera.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5115/7423838974_b9f6e4601a_b.jpg
IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5031/7423840590_8e7003e61f_b.jpg

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 10, 2014 05:25 |  #4

And you can do a Mirror Lock Up also to clean the sensor ...

Over all gjl711 has answer all your questions, and dpds68 put you on the way ;)

Have no worries, your camera work well, you have just touched something without noticing it ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

genesimmons
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,984 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 10, 2014 18:55 |  #5

thanx so much for the informative info,yes it would take a photo when i would press shutter a second time,i totally understand now how it works and what its for,still don't know how it got set but at least now i know,thanx so much guys awesome info

OLYMPUS EM1 M2. 12-100 F4 PRO.75mm f1.8,fisheye f1.8 pro. SONY A7 various manual lenses. FUJI X100
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/100085318@N08/ (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

867 views & 0 likes for this thread
weird mirror issue????
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.