Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Apr 2014 (Friday) 02:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM (Art) is finally here!

Patman99
129 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 09, 2014 16:57 |  #841

So I got a chance to shoot with it last week, and I guess I'm getting old and shakey with the hands. I surmised, after looking through the shots, that if I'm shooting wide open at F/1.4, my shutter speed needs to be 1/100 or faster to ward off blur/soft focus, so I just need to take than into account going forward.

But hopefully I can post some more examples of shooting it wide open in a day or two.

sponsored links
Xyclopx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 09, 2014 17:01 |  #842

pinoyplaya wrote in post #17020006 (external link)
The more focus points you have, the more likely youll have trouble with the Sigma lenses lol. Less is more! haha

If only you can micro adjust at each focus points. haha

My point was that this is the case with the 5d3 and any large aperture lens (and perhaps ultra wide angle lenses) regardless of manufacturer. I tested my 50 1.2 with my 7d and the outer points did not front focus as much or maybe not at all. The 5d3s outer points are much physically farther away from center than the 7d. So that probably has something to do with it.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

NatDeroxL7
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 09, 2014 18:02 |  #843

Got mine today. AF micro adjust of +5 and it's spot on, very consistent with the center point on my 5DII. Outer points are as expected.

The lens is as optically great as expected. It does appear that mine may be de entered slightly. I'm going to test a bit more and look for some real world issues before I mess with it. It is mostly noticeable when shooting a flat object from 1.4 to f4, the left edge of the frame is less sharp where the right side of the frame is tack sharp even in the extreme corners at 1.4

It may have zero effect in practical application, I'll have to see with some left-side composed shots with a narrow aperture

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/52047419@N04/ (external link)
http://mpdphotography.​wordpress.com/ (external link)

Spheric
23 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 09, 2014 22:12 |  #844

Mine came today as well.

Right out of the box, my images look fantastic... Starting working with my LensAlign and got my 5' test done.. needed to go -1.

horsovski
48 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 10, 2014 03:51 |  #845

Spheric wrote in post #17022070 (external link)
Mine came today as well.

Right out of the box, my images look fantastic... Starting working with my LensAlign and got my 5' test done.. needed to go -1.

How is focus on outer points and AF consistency in general?

Spheric
23 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 10, 2014 08:16 |  #846

horsovski wrote in post #17022394 (external link)

I was actually trying to take a bunch of shots specifically trying to replicate the format of a shot I saw somewhere here on POTN - it was of a ~9 year old girl against a wall on picture right with trees or something else off to the left.

I used basically one of two focus points - in the group off to the right, I was using the center right, or the center right, in one to the left.

My focus always tried to tag directly on my daughters left eye. I'd say out of the ~100 shots I took, there were 4-5 that were just flat out way OOF. "Miss" if you will.

The others all seem to front focus a bit at the length I was shooting.

I'm certainly far from a professional photographer - novice at best... but feel free to give your opinion of what focus issue I seem to have... and how to fix it :p (Link should be clickable to the full image)

Like I said, I'm working with my LensAlign... I may post a few of those shots for some opinions as well. At the ~53" measurement, it's ever so slightly back focusing... I think that's different than what I'm seeing in these pictures.. Front focusing.. ?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

IMAGE NOT FOUND

And another

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

And one of the misses -

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

NatDeroxL7
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 10, 2014 08:43 |  #847

horsovski wrote in post #17022394 (external link)

Suprisingly I think Servo is being more consistent than one shot on my 5D2.

It's good though. It's slower than my 135L but that's not a suprise. The consistency is close to my 135L. Noticeable difference though.

Coming from a manual focus 50mm, I find it pretty consistent for f1.4 haha.

Once I get the sigma dock and do a serious 4 point calibration I will decide if it's "good" or could use improvement. Also the 5D2 isnt that great of an autofocus system so I'm not blaming the Sigma until I can use it on a newer body.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/52047419@N04/ (external link)
http://mpdphotography.​wordpress.com/ (external link)

Patman99
129 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 10, 2014 16:38 |  #848

Here are a couple of shots that I took with the S50Art (Canon 5D3)

F/1.6

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2926/14619805431_9dec646eb1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ogUj​NT  (external link) PS_49795 (external link) by Patcave (external link), on Flickr

F/1.6

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3855/14436366090_8bafe197af_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nZG9​FC  (external link) PS_49799 (external link) by Patcave (external link), on Flickr

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 10, 2014 17:01 |  #849

^fantastic!

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

renagade69
37 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jul 10, 2014 17:01 |  #850

Spheric wrote in post #17022611 (external link)
I was actually trying to take a bunch of shots specifically trying to replicate the format of a shot I saw somewhere here on POTN - it was of a ~9 year old girl against a wall on picture right with trees or something else off to the left.

I used basically one of two focus points - in the group off to the right, I was using the center right, or the center right, in one to the left.

My focus always tried to tag directly on my daughters left eye. I'd say out of the ~100 shots I took, there were 4-5 that were just flat out way OOF. "Miss" if you will.

The others all seem to front focus a bit at the length I was shooting.

I'm certainly far from a professional photographer - novice at best... but feel free to give your opinion of what focus issue I seem to have... and how to fix it :p (Link should be clickable to the full image)

Like I said, I'm working with my LensAlign... I may post a few of those shots for some opinions as well. At the ~53" measurement, it's ever so slightly back focusing... I think that's different than what I'm seeing in these pictures.. Front focusing.. ?

You should use one shot with single point focus. In portraits I would never let the camera choose a point from a group of points. All my lenses are spot on with this technique in every point I have aiming at an eye. I have not tested this lens yet and hopefully Adorama gets mine to me soon.

------------
Canon 1DX
Canon -
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM , EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM,EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

captainkanji
119 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 10, 2014 18:46 |  #851

Try using the 6D's outer points. They are quite mediocre (especially in AI servo). I don't really use them anymore. Still get the shots I want, just requires some more thought.

Canon 6D, EF 135f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8 II USM, EF 50mm f\1.4 USM, EF 40mm f\2.8 STM, 430exII speedlite, Flashbender.

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 10, 2014 19:30 as a reply to  @ post 17018784 |  #852

Back Ordered again with BH

lomenak
649 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 10, 2014 22:01 |  #853

I was really lucky and found a retailer with a small stock of this lens. That must be the only place in New Zealand for sure. Going to pick it up tomorrow, just in time for my holiday in Europe!

Spheric
23 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 10, 2014 23:25 |  #854

renagade69 wrote in post #17023632 (external link)
You should use one shot with single point focus. In portraits I would never let the camera choose a point from a group of points. All my lenses are spot on with this technique in every point I have aiming at an eye. I have not tested this lens yet and hopefully Adorama gets mine to me soon.

All of mine were one shot. I just posted the focus point images to show where the point was set.

renagade69
37 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jul 11, 2014 07:18 |  #855

Spheric wrote in post #17024272 (external link)
All of mine were one shot. I just posted the focus point images to show where the point was set.

Ok. You threw me off when you mentioned "From a group ............my camera always tagged onto my daughters eye".

Focusing on an eye and using the focus points helps me. I never focus and recompose. You can get out of focus shots/soft images from that.I always lift my finger up and make the camera re focus on every shot. It takes some work but the keeper rate is better with all the lens's I use.

------------
Canon 1DX
Canon -
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM , EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM,EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

sponsored links

174,960 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM (Art) is finally here!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.