Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 11 Jul 2014 (Friday) 08:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Super Moon 7/12

Aki78
963 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 11, 2014 08:59 |  #1

Searched but didn't see anyone talking about it...perfect weather out here for it tomorrow (and have a wedding around the same time!).

Speaking of which anyone know a good Android app for moon trajectory (I see one for $5 but don't see others)?

sponsored links
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 11, 2014 09:04 |  #2

I've used Google Skymap on my Droid.

I've also used Moon Phase to find out when the full moons are going to be.

Sun Droid tells you when the sun will rise and set if you like to use the magical hours of the day to shoot photos you can plan accordingly with that as well. It also tells you what time the moon will rise and set.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,744 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 11, 2014 09:15 |  #3

Just FYI, if you miss it tomorrow, there will be two more relatively soon - August 10th and September 9th.

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

Aki78
THREAD ­ STARTER
963 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 11, 2014 09:26 |  #4

CameraMan wrote in post #17024820 (external link)
I've used Google Skymap on my Droid.

Totally forgot this exist!

Sundroid looks good...may need this :)

Mistabernie wrote in post #17024845 (external link)
Just FYI, if you miss it tomorrow, there will be two more relatively soon - August 10th and September 9th.

I'll actually be down in Boston tomorrow for a wedding on a sailboat so it'll be perfect :eek:

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,744 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 11, 2014 09:30 |  #5

I think I caught a few of a supermoon last year but was rather unimpressed. I think if I were to do it again this year, I'd want to know precisely when the moon is going to crest the horizon of one of the places I like to shoot, as I remember many times in the past being blown away by the fact that the moon was appearing larger on the horizon than a large condo complex about a mile away from where I was standing (Nantasket Beach, Hull, for those playing along at home, and the condos are the ones behind the revolving door of a bar/restaurant that was last 'Beachfire').

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

the ­ jimmy
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 11, 2014 18:49 as a reply to  @ Mistabernie's post |  #6

Try this, not sure of the cost

The Photographer’s Ephemeris (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 11, 2014 18:54 |  #7

$4.99 for Droid.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 11, 2014 19:10 |  #8

I just remembered Stellarium (external link) is a free PC Based program that pinpoints where the moon will rise and when. It'a available for Linux, Windows 32/64 bit & Mac.

It's got a bit of a learning curve but it does have a user manual. I'm a more hands on type person. I like to play with controls and buttons that way I can remember where things are at when I find them. Once you get the location put in and figure out basic controls you can utilize this utility fairly easily.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 11, 2014 21:29 |  #9

IMAGE: http://sbphoto1.smugmug.com/Other/Bastians-Summer-2014/i-Vpd625z/0/L/IMG_8710_Good%20edit-L.jpg

Tonight down the street since I can't see the moon from my house.

I may go to Arlington Cemetery tomorrow night, but I may just have to say, I'm too tired.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 12, 2014 07:07 |  #10

Aki78 wrote in post #17024811 (external link)
Searched but didn't see anyone talking about it..

That's possibly because most readers now realise that the 'SuperMoon' hype is just that - hype.

Here's an example showing the amazing difference between a 'SuperMoon' and an ordinary full Moon -

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/Supermoon%202012.jpg

Wow! That really is stunning isn't it. Just look how much bigger the supermoon is. (On the right. Or is it the left? Damn, I'll have to get the micrometer out again).

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 12, 2014 07:20 |  #11

hollis_f wrote in post #17026564 (external link)
That's possibly because most readers now realise that the 'SuperMoon' hype is just that - hype.

Here's an example showing the amazing difference between a 'SuperMoon' and an ordinary full Moon -

[IMG]http://www.frankhollis​.com …Supermoon%20201​2.jpg[/IG] (external link)

Wow! That really is stunning isn't it. Just look how much bigger the supermoon is. (On the right. Or is it the left? Damn, I'll have to get the micrometer out again).

Dang! I almost went out and bought a 1200L to shoot this but it looks like my 300L will be enough.

Not serious.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 12, 2014 08:57 |  #12

I don't think you'll need much more than the 200, but use a tripod, and self-timer to reduce shake. I could not find my remote anywhere.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 12, 2014 12:42 |  #13

Mistabernie wrote in post #17024883 (external link)
I think I caught a few of a supermoon last year but was rather unimpressed. I think if I were to do it again this year, I'd want to know precisely when the moon is going to crest the horizon of one of the places I like to shoot

Two programs:

The Photographer's Ephemeris is available on many platforms.

PhotoPills is available for iOS.

Either will give you a good idea as to where and when the Moon will rise. PhotoPills will even show you on a live view of the location if you're there.

Mistabernie wrote in post #17024883 (external link)
I remember many times in the past being blown away by the fact that the moon was appearing larger on the horizon than a large condo complex about a mile away from where I was standing (Nantasket Beach, Hull, for those playing along at home, and the condos are the ones behind the revolving door of a bar/restaurant that was last 'Beachfire').

You can capture the moon illusion if you use a long lens and shoot the Moon with some tall buildings in front of it (but still quite a distance from you).

But the appararent size is just an illusion. It doesn't depend on objects on the horizon (as I've seen it over oceans and deserts - where there are no objects on the horizon. Nor is it atmospheric magnification (hold a dime at arm's length and it should just cover the Full Moon when it's on the horizon. Then do it again 6 hours later, near midnight, when the Moon is high in the sky - and it is still just covered by the same dime.

The illusion is because your brain thinks the sky not as an inverted bowl, but more like an inverted plate. It knows that things on the horizon tend to be a long way away. So the Moon near the horizon must be very distant. Things overhead aren't that far away. Birds and clouds look as if they're a few hundred metres away - tops. So the Moon overhead appears to be fairly close.

So the brain sees the moon on the horizon as being very far away - but it looks quite large (compared to what we normally see on the horizon), so it must be very big. The Moon overhead looks the same size, but it's a lot closer (so our brains tell us). That means it must be a lot smaller. Illusion explained.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 12, 2014 12:46 |  #14

Kwirk wrote in post #17026580 (external link)
Dang! I almost went out and bought a 1200L to shoot this but it looks like my 300L will be enough.

A 1200mm would still be too small to fill the frame on a 6D. On an APS-C 840mm will just about fill half the frame -

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/Moon%20840mm.jpg

So I reckon around 1600mm would be needed on APS-C. Or 2500mm on FF.

Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 12, 2014 16:23 |  #15

hollis_f wrote in post #17027075 (external link)
A 1200mm would still be too small to fill the frame on a 6D. On an APS-C 840mm will just about fill half the frame -

[IMG]http://www.frankhollis​.com/temp/Moon%20840mm​.jpg[/IG] (external link)

So I reckon around 1600mm would be needed on APS-C. Or 2500mm on FF.

Haha, I was being sarcastic on account of there being an extremely small difference between the "super moon" and any other full moon.

sponsored links

5,233 views & 0 likes for this thread
Super Moon 7/12
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.