Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 12 Jul 2014 (Saturday) 13:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting my own wedding!

G1ZmO
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 12, 2014 13:05 |  #1

Posted this in the wrong section previously, sorry)

We're getting married in Jan next year and are on a very tight budget so have made the decision that we're going to shoot our own wedding & reception.

It'll be a very small wedding of only a couple dozen people and it'll be basically down to myself and my brother-in-law to shoot the whole thing. Obviously he'll be shooting the ceremony

Neither of us have ever shot a wedding before!

We're not particularly fussed about getting posed shots but I don't want to look back and think "I wish we'd done that shot"

We have a couple of EOS cameras + probably another on loan, 18-270 lens, 50mm lens, remote triggers, a couple of speed-lights & tripods.

Being a January wedding in Scotland there's a good chance of there being snow but I can't see the ladies wanting to be out there too long! LOL

Any tips and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/53431651@N03/ (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 12, 2014 15:01 |  #2

So you're the groom, neither of you know anything about weddings, and you 'don't want to look back and think "I wish we'd done that shot" '. Interesting contradiction.

I got married recently, I hired a very good photographer. I'm glad I did, the whole day rushed by and I wouldn't have wanted to think about photos. I think shooting your own wedding you'll get poor images and you'll miss out on being at your own wedding - you can't be a photographer and at the event. Your new wife and family will miss out on spending time with you because you'll be continually messing with cameras. IMHO do NOT shoot your own wedding, or have family do it, it's an awful idea.

I think ANYONE ELSE would do a better job of this than you. If there's a photography school nearby find a student, check they're vaguely competent (maybe a quick test shoot), then tell them what you want. Often enthusiasts are better photographers than even photographers with degrees, you wouldn't believe the crap that a student can produce and get a degree - trust me I've hired and fired a few. Take whoever it is through it before the day, a walkthrough. Make sure you ask them to concentrate on the basics, good exposures, don't shoot too close as it's easy to crop.

Good luck for your wedding, it should be a great and relaxing day. Adding another job for yourself will increase stress and hugely decrease your involvement in and satisfaction with the say.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

ozzmodan
260 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 12, 2014 15:46 |  #3

The wedding day is crazy busy for the entire wedding party. The wedding day is also very busy for the photographer for entirely different tasks. Trying to do both yourself will be too much.

As long as everybody involved isn't expecting greatness, your brother-in-law might be the person to do it exclusively. Just help develop a shot list & pick out some places to do the posed photos. You probably won't get great photos, but at least the day is documented & you didn't have to spend anything.

Tips:
- Direction of light is huge. Generally speaking don't have people facing the sun (squinting faces)
- Pick out some photos you like and you can bring them along (either physically or on a phone) and use them as a guide for posing. It is easy to run short of poses if you generally don't do posed pictures.
- For posing: If it bends, bend it.
- Pay attention to hands. Give them something to do or else it looks awkward.
- Have a place picked out in case the pictures can't happen outside.
- Posed/family pictures take longer than most people appreciate.
- Don't complicate the situation. If this is your brother-in-laws first wedding shoot, don't add a ton of lighting modifications or props.

Gear List

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 12, 2014 15:57 |  #4

ozzmodan wrote in post #17027367 (external link)
- Pick out some photos you like and you can bring them along (either physically or on a phone) and use them as a guide for posing. It is easy to run short of poses if you generally don't do posed pictures.

Don't plan anything on the day, make sure it's planned in advance.

- For posing: If it bends, bend it.

Disagree here. Waist, knees, wrists probably shouldn't be bent. More practical advice could be make sure the subjects are comfortable, and "open" toward the camera, not blocking it.

- Pay attention to hands. Give them something to do or else it looks awkward.

Eg hands in pockets, holding hands, holding flowers.

- Have a place picked out in case the pictures can't happen outside.

Essential.

- Posed/family pictures take longer than most people appreciate.

Yep I tell people to allow 30 - 40 minutes, though can get them done in 20 minutes sometimes. An amateur will take much longer.

- Don't complicate the situation. If this is your brother-in-laws first wedding shoot, don't add a ton of lighting modifications or props.

Very true.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 12, 2014 16:10 |  #5

Take your own engagement photos first to see how hard it is. Maybe then you will hire a photographer.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

ozzmodan
260 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 12, 2014 16:11 |  #6

tim wrote in post #17027388 (external link)
Don't plan anything on the day, make sure it's planned in advance.

Yes. I should have clarified that. Everybody (or at least the bride and groom) should know what photos they are trying to get and where they are going. It'll take some of the workload of the brother-in-law to try to explain it. It'll also make everybody more comfortable with the situation.

Gear List

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 12, 2014 16:28 |  #7

It's a bad idea ..Even for a small wedding. If you want good images you have to pay for it. If good results are not important. have everyone take images with a cell phone or hire someone from craigslist who may or may not show up.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Furlan
806 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 12, 2014 16:43 |  #8

Your on a limited budget and on the right track. Don't believe anything you have read so far. Some
spend a ton of money on wedding photos and a few years down the road the dreaded divorce. On the
other hand you last for ten, twenty,thirty,forty or fifty years you will cherish any photos you have. Some
of the crap wedding photos I've seen lately are a joke like sitting in a pool of water. Stick with your plan
spray and pray and any good ones fifty years from now will be classics.

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 12, 2014 16:56 |  #9

It's probably best to ignore the troll. Judge the advice you get based on the reputation of the person, taking into account their experience.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 12, 2014 17:02 |  #10

I was just thinking of how this might have been possible. While we did the nontraditional cameras on the tables for the reception, we did hire a photographer and she only came to the church. She did no pre dressing photos. I have a couple of photos that my Mom took of me getting ready. My sister was getting my wife ready and took lots of pictures of her getting ready.

I guess you could do this with triggers in hand so long as you had the right camera pointed at you for the photo op.

Honestly though, I'd find a friend or relative to grab a camera and just point and shoot. Dare I say put it on Auto (BLAHHHHHH...) and let them have at it unless they know their way around a camera.

Overall, I would highly suggest you do not try to take on this task by yourself. It's not as easy as it looks.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 12, 2014 17:25 |  #11

Actually, this is one of the craziest and stupidest (sorry but it really needs to be said) ideas ever. Neither you nor you guests will get to enjoy this event.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 12, 2014 17:27 |  #12

Furlan wrote in post #17027447 (external link)
Your on a limited budget and on the right track. Don't believe anything you have read so far. Some
spend a ton of money on wedding photos and a few years down the road the dreaded divorce. On the
other hand you last for ten, twenty,thirty,forty or fifty years you will cherish any photos you have. Some
of the crap wedding photos I've seen lately are a joke like sitting in a pool of water. Stick with your plan

But you are ignoring quite a lot with your post.

What memories do the bride and groom get in their own heads if the groom is just a groom at the wedding? What memories do they get if the groom is running around like crazy trying to get photos?

Those photos are meaningless if the original memories from the day aren't aren't of joy but of hard work.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 12, 2014 19:14 |  #13

Exactly why I recommend IPhones by guest . Bag and tag them to instagram.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sgtbueno
807 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 12, 2014 20:45 |  #14

Honestly, I don't know why you're part of this forum, if I didn't appreciate photography I'll not be posting or reading at a photography forum.

To the OP, you're joking, right? if you dont have the money to pay somebody, search for an upcoming photographer in your area, look in places like craigslist or whatever you guys use there, you could find somebody building a portfolio that may want to shoot your wedding for nothing. The idea of shooting your own wedding is just insane.

By the way, I shot a scottish wedding last october and it was awesome. Take it look here.http://www.felixbuenop​hotography.com …10/married-katie-and-gary (external link)

Take care.

Wedding Photography by Felix Bueno Photography (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
1x Canon 5DIII - 2X Canon 5D Mark II - Sigma 35 1.4 - Sigma 50 1.4 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Canon 85 1.2 - Canon 100L IS - Canon 135L F2 - Canon 16-35L II - Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS - 6X YN600EX-RT -Canon 580EX II X 2- Canon 430EX II X3- Yongnuo YN-565EX - and tons of Radio Poppers :)

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,231 posts
Gallery: 136 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 18, 2014 21:39 |  #15

Ask anybody who has been the bride/groom in a wedding and they will tell you that the hours pass by like seconds. This has potential to be one of the biggest regrets of your life. You need to be trying to cherish ever moment of your day rather than thinking about photography.

Just out of curiosity, what does your fiance think about this? I just mentioned your idea to my wife and the look on her face was priceless, but unmistakeably translates into "I will strangle you to a slow death and nobody will ever find your body."

---------------
5D4, 5D3, Sony ZV-1, Panasonic Lumix FX7, Nikon L35AF, Minolta SRT-102
35Art, 50 f1.8 STM, EF 85 f1.8, EF 16-35L f4, EF 100-400L II
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

sponsored links

3,101 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting my own wedding!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.