Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Jul 2014 (Saturday) 12:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 70D manual focus (focusing screen)

YonathanZ
121 posts
Joined May 2013

Jul 12, 2014 12:31 |  #1

Hi,

I know the Canon 70D doesn't have a user-replaceable focusing screen, and only Katz-Eye sell a microprism focusing screen (or ANY focusing screen) for this camera. It seems that you can replace the focusing screen but need to remove two screws first.

What I'd like to know is whether the Canon Matte Ef-S focusing screen that's designed for the 40-60D will work with the 70D, because it's way cheaper than the Katz-Eye one (which is $105, compared to about $30 for the Canon one). The Canon one also says it's for 1.8-2.8 lenses - what if I use 1.4?

I'm really struggling to nail focus with the Sigma 50 1.4 and its AF is unreliable, even after spending $100 on calibrating it to my 70D. I would also like to get a new manual lens (an old one, like Takumar or Helios), I really like their color rendition and only having a 50mm lens is very limiting.

Thanks.

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,375 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 12, 2014 14:00 |  #2

Go to http://shop.usa.canon.​com …alog/focusing-screen-ef-s (external link) and click on the "Compatibility" tab. The 70D is listed.

YonathanZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined May 2013

Jul 12, 2014 14:06 |  #3

Awesome. Do you know if it will work with 1.4 lenses?

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,375 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 12, 2014 14:12 |  #4

YonathanZ wrote in post #17027226 (external link)
Awesome. Do you know if it will work with 1.4 lenses?

I can't say positively but keep in mind Canon's use of the word "optimized". To me that means it will work outside the stated range, just not as well. But also not much difference between 1.8 and 4.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,144 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 12, 2014 14:19 |  #5

You won't be able to tell the 70D that you have a different screen, and what that means is that you cannot have the camera compensate metering for different focusing screens.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

YonathanZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined May 2013

Jul 12, 2014 14:24 |  #6

I see. Thanks for the clarification. I am not sure I want to spend $39 on it, though, since I only have one lens right now and I'm not sure what my next lens will be (or if I'll even buy one).

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,375 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 12, 2014 19:21 |  #7

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17027242 (external link)
You won't be able to tell the 70D that you have a different screen, and what that means is that you cannot have the camera compensate metering for different focusing screens.

TeamSpeed, is the content at the link I supplied (see reply #2 above) in error or is it a "stretch" of the definition of compatability?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,144 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 12, 2014 19:43 |  #8

John from PA wrote in post #17027694 (external link)
TeamSpeed, is the content at the link I supplied (see reply #2 above) in error or is it a "stretch" of the definition of compatability?

Yes, it is in error. The 7D, 5D3, and 70D do not have factory replaceable focus screens.

Australia's Canon's support site has the correct info.

http://support-au.canon.com.au …nts/AU/EN/82008​77000.html (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

YonathanZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined May 2013

Jul 12, 2014 22:18 |  #9

I already ordered one after all. Should I cancel? The 5d3 works with focusing screens for the 5d2, and KatzEye do sell focusing screens for the 70D. I wonder of it's a different size than the 60D.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,144 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 12, 2014 22:40 |  #10

You have to remove a couple of screws to replace the screen, but you won't be able to tell the camera you did that. Not a big deal I expect, just use exposure compensation to make up for any errors.

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 12, 2014 22:57 |  #11

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17028013 (external link)
You have to remove a couple of screws to replace the screen, but you won't be able to tell the camera you did that. Not a big deal I expect, just use exposure compensation to make up for any errors.

I would understand that if you are only using the in camera meter, then it won't matter much. You might find yourself dialing in EC more often than someone with the stock focusing screen, but it should be consistent.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 13, 2014 02:37 |  #12

YonathanZ wrote in post #17027052 (external link)
The Canon one also says it's for 1.8-2.8 lenses - what if I use 1.4?

On the cameras for which this screen is designed, it becomes hard to see the engraved markings for spot metering and the AF area in very bright sun at f/1.4 and wider. Metering remains correct. I have the Ec-S permanently fitted to my 1-series camera and use f/1.4 and f/1.2 lenses without serious problems.

As your camera doesn't have a metering curve built in for accessory screens, the metering will be out. I expect, but don't know, that Katz-Eye may have chosen a screen to modify that is less of a problem for that. It is *not* the case that the meter being TTL obviates this problem: the meter is looking through the screen on these cameras; more advanced SLRs from the manual focus era had the meter not looking through the screen. That way they could offer a feature no Canon DSLR has: spot metering in the centre with a split-prism screen.

killwilly
866 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 13, 2014 03:01 |  #13

YonathanZ wrote in post #17027052 (external link)
I would also like to get a new manual lens (an old one, like Takumar or Helios), I really like their color rendition and only having a 50mm lens is very limiting.

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry too much about manual focusing your 70D with vintage manual lenses. It is a bit of a learning curve, but one you will soon learn.

I use Helios and Zeiss manual lenses on my 7D using Live View. Any will work, but I prefer M42 fit, simply because, they tend to be the cheapest and the adapters a very simple and also very cheap.

Alan. flickr (external link)
---------------
Canon 7D. Canon 15-85 EF-S Lens. Canon 55-250 EF-S Lens. Speedlite 430ex 11.
Canon EOS-M. Canon 18-55 EF-M Lens. Speedlite 90EX.
Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM.

YonathanZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined May 2013

Jul 13, 2014 04:58 |  #14

killwilly, I want to get fast primes, and I already have a Sigma 50 1.4 which is incredibly hard to nail focus with at 1.4 without live view, and I'd rather avoid live view when I don't have a tripod (which is whenever I'm outside).

YonathanZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined May 2013

Jul 28, 2014 09:03 |  #15

A little update: focus screen has arrived and does not fit the 70D. The 70D focusing screen has different tabs to hold than the ones used in previous models, and so the ef-s focusing screen does not fit inside of it. I'm gonna have to return the item. I'm kinda sorry now that I bought a 70D, because it seems my sigma lens will remain useless for anything but tripod use.

sponsored links

5,937 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 70D manual focus (focusing screen)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.