Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 30 Jun 2014 (Monday) 20:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

drones

MrClark7
Goldmember
1,561 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 30, 2014 20:55 |  #1

*update* from july 4th purchase.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i938.photobucke​t.com …9238wings_zps75​fcb29c.jpg (external link)

last monday FAA comes out with this about there views on the activity.

http://blog.realestate​book.com …-flying-into-real-estate/ (external link)

http://www.inman.com …photos-are-not-hobbyists/ (external link)

Canon 1Dmark3, 6D, 17/40L, 24/70 L, 70/200 is f4, sigma 50 1.4
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

sponsored links
J ­ Michael
968 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 30, 2014 21:12 |  #2

Here is the page where you can post your comments on this NPR http://www.regulations​.gov …25;dct=PS;D=FAA​-2014-0396 (external link)

Some the of posts there are more of the ranting variety, but if you have a good argument to make be sure to add it. One thing I notice in the comments is the reaction of the model a/c community to the restriction of FPV flying (the aircraft transmitting back a visual so it's like you're in the cockpit), which would be prohibited under the new interpretation.

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 02, 2014 09:54 |  #3

Future of drones will be - cant use it to take pictures but can use it to deliver Amazon packages :)

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 02, 2014 12:02 as a reply to  @ dkizzle's post |  #4

Actually the regulations make sense - if you want to use a drone for commercial purposes (i.e. - getting paid) it needs to be licensed and you'll have to follow certain rules. And to be honest, as a pilot the thought of sharing the sky with unmanned drones scares the hell out of me.

MrClark7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,561 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 02, 2014 15:16 |  #5

i think its more you cant get PAID, but you can still fly. I have already seen a photographer use this to "scare" off realtors using them. He doesnt, so he must being enjoying using this scare factory to crush his comp.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

J ­ Michael
968 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 02, 2014 16:13 |  #6

If the FAA implements rules that mitigate the risks to GA aircraft and those on the ground then the commercial distinction is arbitrary and detracts from their mission due to the need for them to police the commercial users. Use of Part 91 rules as an enforcement tool is sufficient in this respect. E.g. use of a drone over a crowd at a news event could result in an enforcement action under Part 91.

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 08, 2014 10:16 as a reply to  @ J Michael's post |  #7

Why would the FAA bother to keep bullying until it actually has regulations officially in place and punishments decided. They tried to fine Trappy and failed. Just because realtors can use remote control aircraft for pictures and video does not mean they will get the best results, professionals should still be used. Did you know a telescoping mast can get many of these same shots, it just not as cool.... Once regulations are officially in place there will only be select professionals that can do this anyway. Australia has something like 30 companies that can legally fly commercially.

Media has deemed these machines as drones or UAV to strike fear into the general public. Just because they have GPS and (hobby class) intelligent controls does not put them in the same class as military drones. If you use a remote control helicopter or airplane without all these special control options, adding a camera instantly classifies it as a drone? It is still a remote control off the shelf aircraft that can be purchased anywhere. Just because they will regulate them commercially does not mean it will reduce the amount of people operating them any where they want. Fewer 'pilots' attend actually flying fields than ever before, not to mention those that are flying 'drones' most likely don't have any idea how to manually fly the same aircraft even if it were a life or death situation. I met a realtor flying a Phantom that was bragging he'd never flown any remote control before, and it only took 3 minutes to learn.... That is where the problems will originate, not the multiple year professionals that know what their doing.

I wouldn't scare anyone from flying, but recommend getting the proper training before doing so.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 08, 2014 10:31 |  #8

I'm waiting on the results of the FAA appeal in the case against Pirker. Eager to hear the result, eager to see what regulations will be put into place. Not holding my breath, 'cause it's going to take a few years.

I'm all for licensing, regulation, and mandatory training. Perhaps something comparable to the training and licensing required to operate a motor vehicle on public roads.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

MrClark7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,561 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 12, 2014 10:34 |  #9

Well I celebrated my freedom on July 4th by buying a drone. Couldn't think of a better paradox to celebrate freedom than getting the drone with the pending FAA statement. Should be able to get some pics up of it today. 10 flights already, but need to tweak some mods.

juicedownload
374 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 13, 2014 00:44 |  #10

MrClark7 wrote in post #17026872 (external link)
Well I celebrated my freedom on July 4th by buying a drone. Couldn't think of a better paradox to celebrate freedom than getting the drone with the pending FAA statement. Should be able to get some pics up of it today. 10 flights already, but need to tweak some mods.

Very nice Mr. Clark. What brand and model for the photo you posted?

I would be interested for personal use, and possibly future commercial use, but unsure what all the legal redtape allows at the moment. I always enjoyed flying RC planes years ago. Just wouldn't want to crash another $1000+ machine.

Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 13, 2014 06:26 as a reply to  @ juicedownload's post |  #11

As with other activities, the impact of liability insurance will determine the future of hobby drones. It's already happened to general aviation. (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 13, 2014 07:11 |  #12

Who thinks this is a good idea?

http://www.mrconservat​ive.com …on-octocopter-660x274.jpg (external link)

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 13, 2014 08:33 as a reply to  @ CameraMan's post |  #13

Firearms, anything firing from a model aircraft has always been illegal.

MrClark7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,561 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 13, 2014 09:32 |  #14

juicedownload wrote in post #17028132 (external link)
Very nice Mr. Clark. What brand and model for the photo you posted?

I would be interested for personal use, and possibly future commercial use, but unsure what all the legal redtape allows at the moment. I always enjoyed flying RC planes years ago. Just wouldn't want to crash another $1000+ machine.

look up DJI F550 but stay away from phantom if using for quality work. phantom would be considered rebel xt, as it is the bottom of their line. Still is fun and handles the same Gopro, but its stability thats the issue.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 13, 2014 09:49 |  #15

TroyRaymond wrote in post #17028527 (external link)
Firearms, anything firing from a model aircraft has always been illegal.

Red Jacket Firearms I believe is trying to market this for law enforcement and possibly military.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=IV1K5piFQzc (external link)

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links

8,147 views & 0 likes for this thread
drones
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.