Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 30 Jun 2014 (Monday) 20:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

drones

MrClark7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,562 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 13, 2014 10:19 |  #16

??? I am a little confused with that. Where I do belief it might be possible that a TV reality show might be using that as subject matter, what would they possibly bring to the table that wasnt presented to the military decades ago? A smaller platform than the ones they already used? There isnt anything they bring to the table that M.I.T. hasnt already explored.

Canon 1Dmark3, 6D, 17/40L, 24/70 L, 70/200 is f4, sigma 50 1.4
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

sponsored links
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 13, 2014 10:40 |  #17

Rednecks... :) It's been a while since I saw that episode but I think it may have been thought of to use for local law enforcement. And rather than pay thousands upon thousands of dollars for something from the government they thought they could build one cheaper. Problem is, I wonder how many people with that same model Octo and a 9mm tried that same thing in their own back yard. All you need is a light weight servo to pull the trigger, line up the onboard camera to the gun sights and you have aiming and triggering... A military grade drone...

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

MrClark7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,562 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 13, 2014 11:36 |  #18

right, as im still trying to upgrade my payload capabilities for my hellfire missles also. :) im sure it has been tried, as the weight of a handgun would be a non issue. recoil might with the quick stress put on the props.....

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 13, 2014 11:39 |  #19

They corrected for that some how. Something to do with a buffer absorbing the recoil and not the copter itself so much.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 13, 2014 11:43 |  #20

CameraMan wrote in post #17028792 (external link)
All you need is a light weight servo to pull the trigger, line up the onboard camera to the gun sights and you have aiming and triggering... A military grade drone...

Having done development work on drones that were of actual 'military grade', that is kind of like saying that all you need is an old K car, some surplus body armour, and a few rolls of duct tape, and there you have it: A 'military' grade armoured car...

There are a whole lot more fine detail points than most people would think of if they just sat down to design a drone even just for surveillance reasons. Throw any kind of a firearm into the mix and you are into a whole different ball game on safety issues.

More on topic. If you are interested in drones, then be careful. There have been a lot of people trying to do a lot of really stupid things with drones thinking that they're smart enough to actually understand what is going on, and they're potentially putting everyone interested in operating them in a tough spot if governments decide to come down hard on the subject in the name of public safety. Personally I would say only invest what you're willing to essentially lose completely in the next few years if things radically change.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 13, 2014 11:46 |  #21

I think I might have been going back to my Redneck mentality there. Sorry. :)

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 13, 2014 12:00 |  #22

i never thought drones where a good idea, the things are going to spy on us!don't we have never ending cameras on us now in all the city's,turn around and there's a drone looking at you and what your doing in your back yard,man your going to be giving up your rights to any privacy at all.

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 13, 2014 12:05 |  #23

Ah, but I have a 30.06. Let's see a neighbor fly one of those over my house or in front of my windows. I'll be picking up bits of plastic off my lawn or mulching it with my lawn mower. :)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 13, 2014 12:05 |  #24

blanex1@netzero.com wrote in post #17028953 (external link)
i never thought drones where a good idea, the things are going to spy on us!don't we have never ending cameras on us now in all the city's,turn around and there's a drone looking at you and what your doing in your back yard,man your going to be giving up your rights to any privacy at all.

You need to separate the technology from how the technology is actually used.

If you don't, then you have to dump your camera and leave the photographic world, since it's the cameras that are used to take those spy images.

And since computers and internet are used for spying, you would also have to turn off and throw away your computer.

In the end, it's always about how things are used.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 13, 2014 12:29 |  #25

Yes some people get overly paranoid over the development and use of technology. On june 4th a man in Moncton New Brunswick shot five police officers, killing three. He then spent the next two days in a lightly wooded residential area as police tried to locate and disarm him. If they had access to reliable and sensible drones with IR systems they could have scanned the area in a matter of hours, if not minutes, to locate the suspect rather than the days they spent nearly paralyzed on a picket line to contain the area and having to manually search one yard at a time at huge risk to themselves...

But oh no. Police might use such tools to watch you scratch your backside or pick your nose while you mow your law, because law enforcement clearly has nothing better to do with their time.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

MrClark7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,562 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 13, 2014 13:51 |  #26

my interest goes with helping first aid responders with evaluating a situation without harming responders in a quick time frame. i would love to use one to evaluate a fire issue without waiting for a chopper to need to be on seen at a cost way over what it might be to just purchase a drone for in the first place. A cities cost in lives and $$$ explains itself easily. search and rescue at night in urban or wooded situation also a plus.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 13, 2014 14:00 |  #27

I could see firefighters using one of these for that purpose. I could also see roofers using them to get a birdseye look at a leaky homeowners roof. It does have good commercial possibilities as well as life saving possibilities as well.

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 13, 2014 14:33 |  #28

ah,remember the cartoon (the jetsons) are we there yet!

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 13, 2014 15:24 |  #29

Luckless wrote in post #17028994 (external link)
Yes some people get overly paranoid over the development and use of technology. On june 4th a man in Moncton New Brunswick shot five police officers, killing three. He then spent the next two days in a lightly wooded residential area as police tried to locate and disarm him. If they had access to reliable and sensible drones with IR systems they could have scanned the area in a matter of hours, if not minutes, to locate the suspect rather than the days they spent nearly paralyzed on a picket line to contain the area and having to manually search one yard at a time at huge risk to themselves...

But oh no. Police might use such tools to watch you scratch your backside or pick your nose while you mow your law, because law enforcement clearly has nothing better to do with their time.

There is already a precedent for using technology like this. Police regularly use infrared imaging from helicopters to look for things they cannot see in visible light either due to darkness or something being concealed. The problem with this info is when authorities start using it to spy on people for no reason and crack down on anything they see. They may use a general blanket statement like "we need to protect the peace." It's fine for the specific example you used, but where you do draw the line when police decide they can use drones flying through your neighborhood every hour and see your house from every angle, and possibly even into your house? Keep in mind, programs could also be written for these so that they will not even be manned remotely. They could be programmed to fly a specific route every time, and then just have all the video dumped into a data center with a few cops monitoring the video of several drones.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

MrClark7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,562 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 13, 2014 16:04 |  #30

could be written, drones are already being used in agricultural by simple farmers. its very simple with using iphones to control waypoints.

police have been using infared probably for 20 years. whats the difference between flying over my house and driving in front of my house? if a officer drove past my house 40 feet away every hour, hows that different than flying over 40 feet above every hour?

http://ardrone2.parrot​.com/apps/flight-recorder/ (external link)

sponsored links

9,917 views & 0 likes for this thread
drones
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.