Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 09 Jul 2014 (Wednesday) 21:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

She wants a refund of the non-refundable fee

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,606 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 11, 2014 10:29 |  #61

The $60 is still available to the client as a credit against a future session, isn't it? She's treating it as a loan that she can call back at will. That's not what it is. Explaining to her what the money represents--its place in the transaction--might soften her resentment, but don't count on it.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 11, 2014 13:55 |  #62

Bryan Conner wrote in post #17024543 (external link)
I agree completely. If she is having family problems, I would give it back. I would tell her that I am making a one time exception in order to help her out. I would wish her luck with her problems and be done with it. If she called to book a session in the future, I would ask her if she had solved her problems. If she was lying, she would not know what I was asking about and I would refuse to be her photographer. If she responded appropriately to my question, I would give her one more chance. But only one more.

Some customers suck.

You don't know people like I know people. There are some low lifes out there and they will lie, cheat, and scheme. No ethics, no morals. I'm related to some of them and it disgusts me. It's also why I take a hard line quite often.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 11, 2014 13:58 |  #63

nathancarter wrote in post #17024851 (external link)
How many more times does she get to call and reschedule then cancel at the last hour?

The same number of times I get to be unavailable. Anyone who has canceled before just gets pushed to the back of the line, that's all. People with no history get prioritized.

It's not THAT big of a deal, but then I'm not trying to book several a day every day.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,597 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 11, 2014 15:06 |  #64

May also need to add a clause on max # of times client can reschedule.

Gearlist

seres
580 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 11, 2014 20:28 |  #65

Alveric wrote in post #17024148 (external link)
...there should probably be a policy with a time out period: after 90 days of cancellation or postponement, client needs to pay another NON-REFUNDABLE booking fee.

Money flows, the 60 bucks would prolly be spent within days or weeks; thus, I don't think it'd be feasible for her to reschedule next year and piggyback on those 60 dollars.

I agree. And don't refund... you have a policy, stick with it.

—Eric

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 13, 2014 21:16 |  #66

You could ask for her to show you the body like Mr. Rooney on Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 14, 2014 01:49 |  #67

I used to get this lots when I was a golf instructor. People would cancel last minute, no show or be late causing my whole day to fall behind. I eventually put it in my contract that you got one free pass. If you canceled or no showed, you got to reschedule once. Do it again and you were charged for the session. You got to be late once. You were late again and you were charged for the session. It was amazing how it changed and in 7 years I don't think I had a single last minute cancellation or no show or late client after that.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 14, 2014 01:58 |  #68

the flying moose wrote in post #17030387 (external link)
I used to get this lots when I was a golf instructor. People would cancel last minute, no show or be late causing my whole day to fall behind. I eventually put it in my contract that you got one free pass. If you canceled or no showed, you got to reschedule once. Do it again and you were charged for the session. You got to be late once. You were late again and you were charged for the session. It was amazing how it changed and in 7 years I don't think I had a single last minute cancellation or no show or late client after that.

It is amazing how money (or rather the potential of losing it or it costing someone more) acts as an incredibly powerful incentive.

Peter

rivas8409
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 14, 2014 11:42 |  #69

Still haven't heard back from her. That's a good thing I guess.

To answer a post above, No I didn't lose potential income from it because we scheduled for a Sunday. Typically I won't shoot on a Sunday, but i've made some exceptions in the past. Just so happens that when we during the time of her reschedulings my kids weekend schedules prevented my family from going anywhere so my Sunday's were free. Still, the potential for lost income was there though if I had another person who wanted to scehdule a shoot on one of those Sunday's.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jul 14, 2014 13:00 |  #70

rivas8409 wrote in post #17031092 (external link)
Still haven't heard back from her. That's a good thing I guess.

To answer a post above, No I didn't lose potential income from it because we scheduled for a Sunday. Typically I won't shoot on a Sunday, but i've made some exceptions in the past. Just so happens that when we during the time of her reschedulings my kids weekend schedules prevented my family from going anywhere so my Sunday's were free. Still, the potential for lost income was there though if I had another person who wanted to scehdule a shoot on one of those Sunday's.

It doesn't matter if there was no other shoot.

If you were expecting to work, there's still opportunity cost of doing other stuff that you want. If I have a meeting planned in the middle of the day, my schedule revolved around that appointment and I can't do other things I'd do otherwise. That's a hard cost which you have to account for.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 14, 2014 14:05 |  #71

Luckless wrote in post #17022565 (external link)
Case by case basis. How do YOU honestly feel about the situation and the client?

But if you DO decide to give a refund on it, then make sure it comes with half a dozen of your business cards. If they get their money back then expect them to give you some free and highly directed advertisements.

Personally in the case of a funeral being mentioned I would be inclined to err on the side of caution and cave, as I would rather take the risk of a handful of people seeing me as a sucker than them spreading the word that I'm heartless and uncaring. (Really how wide would someone spread the word that they cheated another person out of money by making up a story about a death, vs how wide will someone spread the story about someone not giving them a break during a hard time in life?)

The customer rescheduled and cancelled on short notice several times. The photographer spent time each time to reschedule and be available for each session. Time was invested into each occurrence by the photographer and he should be compensated for.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

Overread
Goldmember
2,195 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 14, 2014 14:34 |  #72

Just a point about the business cards approach since its been brought back up - I get those free "business" cards from Amazon every so often in orders; things like professional card printing or other such services. And they normally hit the bin.

They might interest me if its something I need; but otherwise they hit the bin; they don't go to friends nor family. And that's the thing, if you were to send a load of business cards to her that's likely what would happen - they'd hit the bin or just never be used beyond maybe her keeping one for reference.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

fontanka
242 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 14, 2014 15:11 |  #73

Luckless wrote in post #17022565 (external link)
Case by case basis. How do YOU honestly feel about the situation and the client?

But if you DO decide to give a refund on it, then make sure it comes with half a dozen of your business cards. If they get their money back then expect them to give you some free and highly directed advertisements.

Personally in the case of a funeral being mentioned I would be inclined to err on the side of caution and cave, as I would rather take the risk of a handful of people seeing me as a sucker than them spreading the word that I'm heartless and uncaring. (Really how wide would someone spread the word that they cheated another person out of money by making up a story about a death, vs how wide will someone spread the story about someone not giving them a break during a hard time in life?)

Absolutely agree, except for business card (she will garbage it lol). She is 99.5% lying, but if you didn't' lose any job offer bc of that (all 3 times she had rescheduled) then just give her sixty bucks and leave it at that. This is not the battle you want to lose by winning.
Important: give it in person though, make her come to your office or somewhere close to your place.

www.AnnaMuhhinaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/AnnaM​uhhinaPhotography (external link)

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 14, 2014 16:24 |  #74

fontanka wrote in post #17031605 (external link)
This is not the battle you want to lose by winning.
Important: give it in person though, make her come to your office or somewhere close to your place.

Yep- schedule a time and place to meet her so she can collect her refund and at the last minute, cancel the meeting. Make sure she has had time to already travel to the location before you cancel. Give her a lame excuse about having to re-arrange your sock drawer or you have to wash your hair. Rinse, repeat... :)

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

fontanka
242 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 14, 2014 16:28 |  #75

or just provide quality customer service to each and every person regardless of their a-hole-ness ;)

www.AnnaMuhhinaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/AnnaM​uhhinaPhotography (external link)

sponsored links

15,056 views & 0 likes for this thread
She wants a refund of the non-refundable fee
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.