Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 13 Jul 2014 (Sunday) 22:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why you need back up

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 13, 2014 22:13 |  #1

From a Maryland videographer today.

Well I need to share this....Last night we were shooting just video for a wedding in Baltimore. The photographer they hired had a camera malfunction in the middle of the wedding and had no backup! I didn't realize this until I saw the guest lining up themselves for photos and having the guest taking pictures on iphones, iPads, and point and shoot cameras. Somewhere in the middle of the family portraits I walked back and asked her if there was a problem and she told me. I sent her with my wife out to my car where I had a Canon 40D which is the only photography camera I take with me when I am doing only video. Not the best wedding camera but better than nothing! While they were at the car I finished the portrait session for her. We stayed an hour later then we were contracted for so they would get all of the photos they wanted. Of course the photographer was grateful but the couple came up at the end of the event and thanked me for saving the day. FYI....I did scorn the photographer for not having backup equipment before I gave her the 40D. This is just another example of why you shouldn't hire 500.00 photographers.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links
gadgeteer
44 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 14, 2014 04:23 |  #2

That sort of story drives me literally MAD!!!! There's no excuses for not having a backup camera if you are a paid professional. Period!

Just the other day I was shooting a wedding and one of my cameras just suddenly stopped working just as I was about to start the group shots. I tried all the quick links like reseating the lens, popping the battery out etc. Nothing. But because I had a backup I just carried on and the bride was never any wiser. Later when I had some time I popped everything out again, put it all back together and it was fine. But can you imagine how different it would have been if I had to say "Sorry guys...camera is broken. I'm going home, cya!"

Wedding Photographer Nottingham & Derby - Martin Cheung (external link)

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 14, 2014 06:19 |  #3

I do not get it all. A 20D used is what $150 ? !!!! The photographer was REALLY luck that she got bailed out.

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 14, 2014 06:29 |  #4

You peak at the results of a shot ... "huh, musta had the strap in the way." Take another ... "There it again. ???? THE SHUTTER FAILED! UGH!" What a feeling.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

Pupu
267 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 14, 2014 06:40 |  #5

I'm not a wedding photog but here is my perspective on it from a Customers point of view. What if the Client is ok to take this risk cos the charge is only $500? Not every family will be able to spend on $xxxx k photographers?

But I agree even if you are hiring for $500 photog, probably hire guys who have atleast a back-up even if the main and the back-ups are both 40Ds :-)

550D gripped I Sigma 50mm F1.4 (Non Art) I Canon 100mm F2.0 I Nissin Di622 Mk II I YN 622C triggers I...and few other accessories

LincsRP
427 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 14, 2014 06:47 |  #6

scorpio_e wrote in post #17030108 (external link)
From a Maryland videographer today.

Well I need to share this....Last night we were shooting just video for a wedding in Baltimore. The photographer they hired had a camera malfunction in the middle of the wedding and had no backup! I didn't realize this until I saw the guest lining up themselves for photos and having the guest taking pictures on iphones, iPads, and point and shoot cameras. Somewhere in the middle of the family portraits I walked back and asked her if there was a problem and she told me. I sent her with my wife out to my car where I had a Canon 40D which is the only photography camera I take with me when I am doing only video. Not the best wedding camera but better than nothing! While they were at the car I finished the portrait session for her. We stayed an hour later then we were contracted for so they would get all of the photos they wanted. Of course the photographer was grateful but the couple came up at the end of the event and thanked me for saving the day. FYI....I did scorn the photographer for not having backup equipment before I gave her the 40D. This is just another example of why you shouldn't hire 500.00 photographers.

She was lucky you were/are a generous person. We hear so many stories of those who are not. I'm like you. Help them because one day it might be me for different reasons.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.uk (external link)

Sparrow19
298 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 14, 2014 12:42 |  #7

I completely agree with you on the backup camera part. Paid work should have one.

But there's no reason to bag on a $500 photographer. Like someone else said, not everyone can afford those expensive guys. You get what you pay for? Maybe, but I'm one of those $500 photographers and while yes I am still learning and fine tuning, I think I do a pretty good job. Every client I've had has loved their pictures. They might not be magazine material, but at the end of the day, who cares, the client loves them, and I made the money that I felt is worth my time.

BTW, I do have a backup. 6D and a 60D.

http://www.wesatkinson​photography.com (external link)
Canon 5D IV, 6D
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 2.8 VC
Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 14, 2014 12:52 |  #8

The videographer was not me Steve :) The end result was the photographer and couple were lucky.

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 14, 2014 13:03 |  #9

Nice work Wes. Raise your prices and you are no longer a $500 photographer *LOL*.

I would say that a client is MORE like to get a photographer with no back up equipment when they charge $500 to shoot a wedding. When you are starting out, you are cutting corners to build you equipment line.
Some people make REALLY bad decisions on what to cheap out on.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 14, 2014 13:14 |  #10

I remember shooting my first wedding and bringing a small P&S just in case. Fast forward years later, a wedding with 2 other photographers helping me. My apprentice was using my old 40D. The shutter failed 1/2 way through it. So grateful I had my 5D2 still in my hands. It was a good day. I didn't lose much, just my 3rd shooter's gear. Must have back up. Glad you were generous. Couple was lucky.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,999 posts
Gallery: 376 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 14, 2014 13:21 |  #11

Sparrow19 wrote in post #17031199 (external link)
I completely agree with you on the backup camera part. Paid work should have one.

But there's no reason to bag on a $500 photographer. Like someone else said, not everyone can afford those expensive guys. You get what you pay for? Maybe, but I'm one of those $500 photographers and while yes I am still learning and fine tuning, I think I do a pretty good job. Every client I've had has loved their pictures. They might not be magazine material, but at the end of the day, who cares, the client loves them, and I made the money that I felt is worth my time.

BTW, I do have a backup. 6D and a 60D.

Then you aren't the typical $500 Photog...:D Paid work should have one..How many other $500 photogs follow that rule...;) those are the ones the OP is hitting on...

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 14, 2014 23:28 |  #12

Not having a backup + shooting a wedding for money = hack

There is nothing more to it in my book.

Peter

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 15, 2014 00:07 |  #13

Clients now think videographers are photographer's backups so they continue to hire $500 photographers.

Gearlist

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 15, 2014 00:41 |  #14

kenwood33 wrote in post #17032539 (external link)
Clients now think videographers are photographer's backups so they continue to hire $500 photographers.

Which is why some end up having to offer a $500 price point...not that the client selects that package once we meet and greet. However, many of the younger clients today think it all can be done with one camera...a video camera....so why should they fork out big bucks for a still photographer on top of a videographer?

And yes, extra camera....lens, batteries, cards....the whole works x 2...close to another 5d3...then I will have a backup to the backup!

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

sgtbueno
807 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 15, 2014 05:28 |  #15

I think is bs not to have a back up camera, just like is bs to charge $500 dollars for a wedding nless you're building your portfolio)but at the same time I get a big smile when I hear stories like this.

Wedding Photography by Felix Bueno Photography (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
1x Canon 5DIII - 2X Canon 5D Mark II - Sigma 35 1.4 - Sigma 50 1.4 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Canon 85 1.2 - Canon 100L IS - Canon 135L F2 - Canon 16-35L II - Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS - 6X YN600EX-RT -Canon 580EX II X 2- Canon 430EX II X3- Yongnuo YN-565EX - and tons of Radio Poppers :)

sponsored links

3,497 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why you need back up
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.