Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Jul 2014 (Wednesday) 20:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a recommendation on Waist Pack type bag

swldstn
978 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 09, 2014 20:25 |  #1

I've got backpacks and shoulder bags. I'm looking for a waist pack type of bag. I've identified two, a thinkTANK Speed Freak and a Mountainsmith Tour FX which appear to be the roughly the same size but I don't know if there are others some would recommend.

I want it to hold a Fuji X-T1 with a VG-XT1 battery grip. The body with grip also has a Really Right Stuff L-bracket so in width and height the body is ~5.5 x 5.5 inches. With a typical Fuji prime from front to back the camera and lens is about 4.5 to 5 inches.

Also want to hold at least two other lenses, possibly three.

I know the build quality of the thinkTANK bags, I own quite a few. A close friend uses Mountainsmith for his real hiking and also says they are really well built. Which to chose really comes down to their real functionality will they work for me. Unfortunately neither bag is available locally.

Looking for help/ Thanks in advance. Steve

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 11, 2014 00:00 |  #2

The one I use isn't made anymore. It's similar to the Lowepro Beltpacks
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Bags/ci/4338/N/​4291080223 (external link)

There's the Tamrac belt in Post #68.
Show me your camera bag

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sangyup
135 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 11, 2014 07:31 |  #3

swldstn wrote in post #17021864 (external link)
I've got backpacks and shoulder bags. I'm looking for a waist pack type of bag. I've identified two, a thinkTANK Speed Freak and a Mountainsmith Tour FX which appear to be the roughly the same size but I don't know if there are others some would recommend.

I want it to hold a Fuji X-T1 with a VG-XT1 battery grip. The body with grip also has a Really Right Stuff L-bracket so in width and height the body is ~5.5 x 5.5 inches. With a typical Fuji prime from front to back the camera and lens is about 4.5 to 5 inches.

Also want to hold at least two other lenses, possibly three.

I know the build quality of the thinkTANK bags, I own quite a few. A close friend uses Mountainsmith for his real hiking and also says they are really well built. Which to chose really comes down to their real functionality will they work for me. Unfortunately neither bag is available locally.

Looking for help/ Thanks in advance. Steve

I have the older mountainsmith tour FX that I bought and never used. I'll take it back out of the closet and take a look but from memory I remember being able to fit my Nikon D300 and 70-200 2.8 separately and still have room for another 1-2 lenses but it all fit. Since the fujis are smaller and if you stack them, they should all fit. I can post pictures of the bag later tonight if you want. BTW, If you're interested I can sell it for cheap since I'm not even using this bag and it's new with tags on it. PM me if you're interested.

Sean
Fuji X100S | Nikon D500 | Nikon D800 | Nikon D300 w/MB-D10 | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | 17-55 f/2.8DX | 20 f/1.8G | 24-70 f/2.8 | 35 f/1.8DX | 50 f/1.8D | 85 1.8G | 70-200 f/2.8VRII | 70-210 f/4 | 70-300VR | 105VR | 105 1.4E | 200-500 f/5.6E | SB-800 | YN 560III x 2 | Gitzo 3541LS w/ RRS BH-55 | Gitzo 1541T w/ Markins Q3TRED

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 11, 2014 08:59 |  #4

I have a lowepro inverse 200 sitting on a shelf in the basement- it's a nice bag, and would hold what you are looking for, I just never got into the waist bag, so I don't use it. I'll probably be selling it in a week or so when I do my cleanup down there.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,495 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jul 11, 2014 19:45 |  #5

I've tried Kata Waistpack, Think Tank Speed Racer V.2 (same as the Speed Freak except larger capacity) and Think Tank Belt system. I sold Kata Waistpack and I use Speed Racer V.2 for public events. When it comes to outdoor shooting, though, such as birding or hiking, I exclusively go to the TT Belt system along with the Cotton Carrier Vest. You haven't mentioned what USE you have in mind. If it's for hiking, then I definitely wouldn't recommend TT Speed Freak. I'd recommend the TT Belt system, instead. If it's for public events, then I'd recommend either the Speed Freak (if the capacity is deemed enough) or its larger version, the Speed Racer.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

mag10
357 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 14, 2014 05:18 |  #6

I have the Think Tank Change-Up and really like using it when I don't care how geeky I look :lol: I really like the versatility of being able to use it as a shoulder bag, and how it fits into a regular backpack or carry-on luggage. I think it actually has more interior capacity than the Speed Freak, but it is lighter and overall smaller. Using one or both of the shoulder straps really helps to stabilize the pack when it's fully loaded up. Here's a picture of me using it in Cambodia, with a Skin 50 attached:

IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TUB4FLcWpzE/UiNL-LAC2-I/AAAAAAAAEgw/wqtuvVMSaDY/s400/DSC00510.jpg

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Sony DSC-RX100M3 | Canon EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM | Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,238 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 14, 2014 13:03 |  #7

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17024311 (external link)
There's the Tamrac belt in Post #68.
Show me your camera bag

You can actually link directly to any post by right clicking on the post number in the top right corner and copying the link: https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=680093&po​stcount=68

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 15, 2014 18:57 |  #8

I love my Think Tank Speed Freak!

sponsored links

2,233 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for a recommendation on Waist Pack type bag
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.